Tow Vehicle?? What do you tow your Kubota with??

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
My thinking got me into my current dilemma,

I HAD a '73 GMC K25, it sat most of the time, in the 3 years that I owned it, I put 2200 miles on it ( changed the oil once when I first got it ) I t ran well, got 9.5 mpg, 4x4 worked towed anything I hooked it too ( and weighted for 10k on the tag )

I got tired of buying tags and insurance ( $105 yr tag, $250 yr for ins. ) and it just sat, I don't need a DD, but I do need a weekend ride that works for the family. I tried to sell the truck for 6mos, no offers, let alone tire kickers ( asked $1250obo ) finally traded it for a 6x10 utility trailer to pull behind my 4Runner (3.4L 5spd).
.....and then I got the B2400, well, the Runner will pull it WHEN i get a trailer big enough, tractor with loader and BB weight in the area of 3k, an 1800lb tandem axle trailer will put me right in the 5k tow rating of the Runner.

At this time, i do not need to pull the tractor anywhere, but I've been toying with the idea of small scale clearing and maybe garden tilling ( if/when I find a deal on a rotary tiller ) maybe some driveway grading and such.

SO, If I find a trailer worthy of my time, I'll snag it and maybe go into business.....or not....

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Man becareful puting a tandem axle trailer behind your Toyota 4Runner. I hooked up my 6x16 tandem behind my 87 Bronco {full size} and just drove aroud the block to see how it would do. The Bronco didnt really like it one damn bit and I was told the Bronco could handle 5k no problem. Yeah your 4Runner and my Bronco will pull 5k but its the sway and contolling of the trailer thats an issue. Anytime you have a trailer alot wider then the tow vehical the trailer can and will push the tow vehical all over the place.

My dad learn this first hand himself the hard way. Back years ago he had a 81 Ford F350 flatbed dump and a triaxle equipment trailer. He picked himself up a new to him Ford 3550 tractor with a FEL from the dealer and was heading home with his new toy. Now the F350 truck is rated for 5k the tractor weighs about 3k the trailer empty was 1,500 to 2k so the whole shebang trailer and tractor should be at the 5k limit. Pops was coming down a steep hill with the load and he hit the brakes and chaged across 3 lanes of traffic without really wanting to.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey Eric, ya kitchen window, I don't have many pictures of it. Too busy taking pics of the Kubota. The B8200 came home on the back of that truck. The sides fold down for loading with forks. The back of the box pulls out three feet for longer loads. It is a little bit of a serious truck Aquaforce , it has seen more mud and snow than most. It hauls a Mennonite farm cement crew. Manure pits, bunker silos, barn foundations. My son in law has taken over for me. I get more time to play with the Kubota now.:D Dusty

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Man becareful puting a tandem axle trailer behind your Toyota 4Runner.
Anytime you have a trailer alot wider then the tow vehical the trailer can and will push the tow vehical all over the place.
which is why the trailer I get will be one I'm comfortable with. proper loading and brakes on both axles will be top priority. as well as weight distributing hitch. ( torsion bars and hogs head style )

I know my junk is light compared to the old truck, it's what I have at this time. I've had several folks tell me to go ahead and use my current 6x10 single axle, which just ain't gonna happen !

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
Man becareful puting a tandem axle trailer behind your Toyota 4Runner. I hooked up my 6x16 tandem behind my 87 Bronco {full size} and just drove aroud the block to see how it would do. The Bronco didnt really like it one damn bit and I was told the Bronco could handle 5k no problem. Yeah your 4Runner and my Bronco will pull 5k but its the sway and contolling of the trailer thats an issue. Anytime you have a trailer alot wider then the tow vehical the trailer can and will push the tow vehical all over the place.

My dad learn this first hand himself the hard way. Back years ago he had a 81 Ford F350 flatbed dump and a triaxle equipment trailer. He picked himself up a new to him Ford 3550 tractor with a FEL from the dealer and was heading home with his new toy. Now the F350 truck is rated for 5k the tractor weighs about 3k the trailer empty was 1,500 to 2k so the whole shebang trailer and tractor should be at the 5k limit. Pops was coming down a steep hill with the load and he hit the brakes and chaged across 3 lanes of traffic without really wanting to.
I agree, no way no how would I try and tow 5k with a 4runner. I tow maybe 6k total with my 2500 Ram and that is a load. One thing to consider is the weight of the tow vehicle, if it's light the trailer can have it's way with it. My Ram with me in it is 5800 pounds, it also has E class tires, which makes a huge difference.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Once upon a time I had a 95 GMC Sierra 1500. It was an extended cab with a 6ft truck bed so it had a real short wheel base. I put over load springs on the rear axle, which they were 3 springs that bolted over top of the axle and would draw up the factory springs tighter. And I'll admit on more then one occasion I've hauled heavy loads of 8 to 10k with a 8x18 deck over equipment trailer. I'd hit the highway and around 55 to 60mph I was good. Anything faster then 60mph the truck and trailer would walk and sway where ever the hell it wanted to. Not to brag or toot my own horn but I've been a professional truck driver for 10 years so I know how to handle over sized heavy loads.

The main thing to keep in mind is NEVER over react to any situtation and stab break the truck to slow down and regain control. I am able to do dumb things like that from experiance. But if you've never towed a large trailer it can get away from you fast. A 6x10 trailer is a decent size but when you add another 6 feet in length and another 3k in weight capicity its then a wholenother ball field to be playing in.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I looked up the specs on a 4runner, 4400 pounds. They had a tow capacity of 7300 pounds last year and it is no longer available, I see destruction written all over that. It has a v-6 and light weight running gear, I see destruction even at 5000 pounds. A truck made to tow 5000 pounds struggles with it, for the life of me I can't figure out why they would even claim that.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My brother had a nice Toyota SR5 exta cab 4x4 with a V6 in it. I don't remember the tow specs on it were but he bought a 21' ski boat with a double axle trailer. The first time he tried to back it in his back yard he got a surprise. The curb was only about 2" high but when the rear tire of the trailer hit this little curb it made the ass end of the truck just slide right around in the road. He ended up having to pull across the street in his neighbors yard so he could get a straight shot at the curb or it wouldn't back it in. Even though it had plenty of power to pull it the truck just didn't have enough ass to handle the weight.

These newer high HP light weight truck may pull fine but I just don't see them having the frame strength, weight or the braking power to safely handle a heavy load.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I looked up the specs on a 4runner, 4400 pounds. They had a tow capacity of 7300 pounds last year and it is no longer available, I see destruction written all over that. It has a v-6 and light weight running gear, I see destruction even at 5000 pounds. A truck made to tow 5000 pounds struggles with it, for the life of me I can't figure out why they would even claim that.

Dusty/Ditto :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: they write checks they can't cash. :rolleyes:

These newer high HP light weight truck may pull fine but I just don't see them having the frame strength, weight or the braking power to safely handle a heavy load.

I'm not a proponent of taking a knife to a gun fight. I've owned one Toyota/tapioca SR5..........never again. :(
They say never say never but from my experience with toyota trucks this is one time I will say NEVER :mad: :mad: :mad:
I commute from the suburbs of Atlanta, Ga and I would commute in an old iron 454 before ever having another toyota truck. :mad:

Last edited:

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
Let's not turn this thread into brand bashing thead. There are other forums out there for that. The OP asked to see what people towed their Kubota's with. Let keep it as such. Not everyone's towing needs are the same. What works for one, may or may not work for someone else. We all have our favorite brands of tractor (Kubota), but we don't all share the the same favortie brand of tow vehicles.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Let's not turn this thread into brand bashing thead. There are other forums out there for that. The OP asked to see what people towed their Kubota's with. Let keep it as such. Not everyone's towing needs are the same. What works for one, may or may not work for someone else. We all have our favorite brands of tractor (Kubota), but we don't all share the the same favortie brand of tow vehicles.
One thing that OTT has plenty of is opinions and if it's a hot subject matter you can be assured that a little bit of everything will be shared so here is mine about the bashing. :eek:

I haven't seen any bashing on any brand of toe vehicle. You are definately right about everybodies toe needs being different. I fully understand about getting by with what you have. I would have bought a 50 HP or maybe even bigger when I got my L 3000 but at that time the 3000 was about as big as I felt like I could pull with the truck I had then. :(

You can tell that blkvoodoo has concerns about hauling his tractor with his Toyota or he wouldn't be talking about dual axle brake and weight distrabution bars. Every body that has chimed in during and after his first post hasn't been bashing his brand of truck but has had a safety issue with it. I don't know him and probably will never get the oppertunity to meet him either but I don't want to see pics of his ride in a crash as a result of pulling a trailer that is to heavy for his truck. :mad:

If I ever post a thread saying that I have plans to strap rockets to my tractor and jump a creek I feel sure that my orange brothers will be there to tell me that it's not going to be a good idea. At the least I'm sure that I would get a few responces that might offer a better way of getting it done in a safer manner and might get a little more distance from the jump. :p

I don't think nobody is bashing anything. We just don't want to see anyone get hurt or tear their equipment up. :D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Here's my thing, this forum is a useful tool in the operation, maintenance and pure love for Kubota tractors. We are all here to share our knowledge and advise from one another and if any one of us has negative thoughts on any issue it should be posted here for EVERYONE to read and any one person can make an informed decision on. Now granted we ventured off from tractors to trucks, but this particular section is called "Off Topic". Me personally I'd rather take the adivse of a truck owner who as been there and done that with a truck and has had bad experiances with it so we can all read about it and learn from it. Rather then us spending alot of money on something thats not doing to do the job. No matter what make or model truck it is.

I'd like hear it like it is from us average Joe's rather then some salesman feeding me a bunch of bullshit because he is trying to make a sale and put dollar bills in his back pocket. I'm not going to sit here and tell Blkvoodoo "oh sure its fine to haul 7 thousand ponds with the 4Runner, no problem at all". When I know damn good and well that its a bad idea and it could get the man killed or cause harm to him or others when its not safe.

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Let's not turn this thread into brand bashing thead.

Thanks bulldog and eric, I agree.
To direct my statements as such would be to either take something more out of it than I said or sympathy or even a hurt feeling for some reason. I didn't bash a brand though I could as a career, and top of my peers, mechanical technician/Certified Master/Fluid Power because I have seen LOTS. I simply agreed with observations made by others that an application suggested for a task was not properly/safely matched and I stated it from my opinion and experience as a former owner all filtered through a professional career as one who knows about these principals. If I were wrong in any way then toyota would not be getting grilled and fined by the U.S. govt, ;)

Yes we should stay on par with the direction of the thread but that doesn't mean that discussion is prohibited. This is all public so it is publicly an open conversation and should be seen as such.

Last edited:

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
I don't have a heavy duty tow vehicle. I tow with an 02 Extended Cab Chevy Z71 4x4 with tow package. I have been towing a 30 ft 5th wheel camper on vacations, sold it and bought my kubota. I don't run with big dogs but it gets the job done. It is also my daily driver to work and back.:)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks bulldog and eric, I agree.

Yes we should stay on par with the direction of the thread but that doesn't mean that discussion is prohibited. This is all public so it is publicly an open conversation and should be seen as such.
Aquaforce,

You are very welcome. I personally didn't take what you posted as brand bashing in any way, shape or form. I don't know why anybody would. If anybody should have had a problem with it I think it would have been blkvoodoo who is the Toyota owner we were discussing. He hasn't had any further comments as of yet but I doubt he has a problem with anything that was said just due to the fact that you could tell by what he posted that he himself had concerns with his own toe vehicle.

I agree with you that we should stay with the theme of a thread and I think that all of us regulars here at OTT do that fairly well. At the same time though what is wrong with a little side track post every now and then. I haven't been here at OTT very long but I really enjoy being a part of this forum. Sure you may get 20 different opinions to one question but That is the way it should be. If all of us thought alike there would be no need to have this forum because we would have no reason to discuss anything. I have met some great people here and have learned alot of things as well. I hope that some of what I have shared has been a benefit to someone also.

OTT is the best of the best when it come to forums. I feel like when it's all said and done we get and give the best advise possible and have a good time doing it. If it gets so uptight that we can't cut up and pick at each other a little I sure don't want to be a part of it. If I wanted to be part of a forum like that I wouldn't have come here in the first place.

Keep up the good work my Orange Brothers and if you don't like it go buy yourself a John Deere. :D

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Hardly offended, the responses were pretty much what I expected.

Is a 4Runner the ideal tow vehicle ? hardly, will it work given proper set up ? certainly.

Daily you see any number of vehicles hauling WAY over the rated capacity, even those intended to haul large loads. no it's not right, but it happens.

a 30ft 5th wheel camper on a half ton truck ? yep, it's a load, and probably right at if not slightly over GVWR for the vehicle pulling it, especially if it loaded for a trip. but " it's a full size truck" so nobody thinks twice about it as it's a regularly scene thing. Is it safe ? with the proper equipment, yes, BRAKES and proper loading of the trailer ( avi8tor, I pulled that as an example, not to pick on you )

Eric, fullsize Broncos and Blazers are short on wheel base and tall on height, they are inherently top heavy by design, add the push of uncontrolled (no brakes) weight, yep, it's gonna get squirrelly. put a weight distributing hitch to transfer some weight to the front, and a a brake controller, it's a much different game, to a point. there is a reason for a tow rating to begin with.

Aquaforce, that you've been a GM master tech for years, you of all should know that the recall Toyota is faced with was blown WAY out of proportion, and is more media frenzy than a true issue. GM has had more recalls so much more serious than what Toyota is dealing with there is no comparison.
Toyota did get caught playing the GAME that GM has played for years, yep, we have a problem, lets try and figure it out maybe there won't be too many bodies to count before we can resolve the issue. Ford played the game in the '70's ( Pinto gas tanks ) and got caught as well.

FWIW, I was a GM tech for several years, the recalls and the way GM handled them is way more appalling (by shear numbers) than anything Toyota has done.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Aquaforce, that you've been a GM master tech for years, you of all should know that the recall Toyota is faced with was blown WAY out of proportion, and is more media frenzy than a true issue. GM has had more recalls so much more serious than what Toyota is dealing with there is no comparison.
Toyota did get caught playing the GAME that GM has played for years, yep, we have a problem, lets try and figure it out maybe there won't be too many bodies to count before we can resolve the issue. Ford played the game in the '70's ( Pinto gas tanks ) and got caught as well.

FWIW, I was a GM tech for several years, the recalls and the way GM handled them is way more appalling (by shear numbers) than anything Toyota has done.

There was a lot of politicizing in this toyota thing which seems to be the media/politicaly correctness MO these days. Try to blow a story out of proportion to get the ratings up and be #1. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: For this reason the way a company handles something is going to be part of the story too where it was not storyline in the past.

The sheer numbers are quantified by the number of units a mfgr produces also; the more units made the more opportunity for a problem.

I have family members that do the overloading thing too and I think they are too risky when they do that. I won't be party to that when it goes down. Some people get away with more of that based on another popular term these days "over engineering". While this is a criticism used by engineers against the design of another engineer who blows the budget or exceeds some hot button, still the fact remains that a safety margin is present for any amount of "over engineering". I am not a critic of over engineering. Bring on all the strength you can, I think. At least it is safer. Anyway this concept regulates what a risky person can get by with before a failure. Some products are very sensative to this "over engineering" meaning the point of failure is very near the maximum rating and for others the failure point is safely well beyond the max rating. I won't assign applications to this explanation but it is very real. ;)

Sounds like you are rational enough to ponder your moves and stay within ratings. That is a safe practice. :)
We don't want any scratches on the orange paint you know. :)
Oh you either of course. :D

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I agree with you that we should stay with the theme of a thread and I think that all of us regulars here at OTT do that fairly well. At the same time though what is wrong with a little side track post every now and then. I haven't been here at OTT very long but I really enjoy being a part of this forum. Sure you may get 20 different opinions to one question but That is the way it should be. If all of us thought alike there would be no need to have this forum because we would have no reason to discuss anything. I have met some great people here and have learned alot of things as well. I hope that some of what I have shared has been a benefit to someone also.

OTT is the best of the best when it come to forums. I feel like when it's all said and done we get and give the best advise possible and have a good time doing it. If it gets so uptight that we can't cut up and pick at each other a little I sure don't want to be a part of it. If I wanted to be part of a forum like that I wouldn't have come here in the first place.

Keep up the good work my Orange Brothers and if you don't like it go buy yourself a John Deere. :D

I agree. There are a lot of other forums that I have blogged on and this one seems more down to earth, considerate and enjoyable to post. Eric, traildust and Will have made me laugh a lot. Those guys keep it light and fun too. :D :D
There is not much junk here. Tractor people just don't care for junk.
Opinions are as different as people and can be helpful or simply ignored too.
I like my orange and I don't care about opinions that differ regarding my orange. Most others are half breeds at best anyway. The orange is full blooded. :D :D :D :D