Toolmania?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Lend a two stroke tool-supply fuel too. Guy filled saw, it siezed. All he sais was gas looked kinda clear. Yup. It was.

If i have to borrow a tool more than three times, i buy it.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
There are four people that I will lend something to:
My son,
One of my cousins,
One of my brothers,
One of my brother in-laws.

If they damage something or brake it, they will fix it, (and let me know what happened), or return a new one. Can't ask for better than that.:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Kids can only borrow something I can afford to lose. Not allowed to borrow equipment though. Neighbor across the road and one next door can borrow what they like. If they break it, it will get replaced or fixed.

Neighbor across the road just lent his push mower to the guy in the rental on the other side of me a couple days ago. Guy used the mower for twenty minutes or so and pretty much destroyed the motor. Said he got it hung on the fence he was mowing next too. We're actually figuring instead of clipping the wire, he hooked it to his mini van to get it loose. Course, he returned it and said "sorry man". Neighbor was showing me the damage to the carb, and top of the motor, and for giggles, I flipped it on end to check the shaft and blade. Shaft was bent :rolleyes: Neighbor was cussing pretty good when I left.

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
You can on me always bringing something covered with chrome and shiney when I go to either Lowe's or Home Depot. Must be something hardwired in our DNA. Got tired of running back and forth from one side of the house from where the L3800 is kept to the garage where all of my tools are. So just got one of those stanley tool boxes and over time filled it up with inch and metric stuff to work on my tractor. Got lucky years ago and got a used huge tool box then found a sears/kennedy roll around tool chest. All banged up and the drawers don't always work right but it was free. The stuff we accumulate over time can sometimes be amazing. Frank

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Whenever I used to buy smaller tools or say that I needed/wanted to buy a more expensive tool, my wife would always say, "what do you need that for - or - you already have one". When she wanted to do something she would go get the tool from my shop and not return it. When I needed that tool I could not find it and the search would begin.

I got her a tool box with a tray in it and put some basic tools in it, (about 1/4 full), and said to leave my tools alone. As time went buy, she would ask to borrow a tool that she did not have but I had. My response would be, "you mean you want to spend more money on another pair of pliers, you already have two". I would then get her the pliers that she wanted to borrow. This scenario did not play out for very long before the questions stopped when I brought home something new or said that I had to get something. Now her tool box is full, she has a larger one that is also full plus more in an old sowing box, plus several battery powered tools. (skeets get your mind out of the gutter)

Problem solved. :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I'm addicted to tools also but pretty much have all I need to get by
Bob. You definetly have a problem. Time for an intervention. First step, send me the tool chest and i will dispose of it properly.....

Now that thats taken care of, i just bought a brake disc/drum lathe. Why when all that stuff is cheap to buy new? New drums and rotors are great, easy to deal with , but to check for runout in a shakin brake problem makes my day so much easier. New 1800-2000. Barely used advertised 600 drove away with it for 200. No wonder im a junkie.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Heavy equipment mechanic at a saw mill for ten years. Convayer/forklift mechanic for the last nineteen years. Yep, I gots me some tools. Be carefull, it can get very addicting. Just don't ask me how I know.;)