Too early to take snowblower off?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe if we all raise a couple glasses of Guinness to the snowgods they might go back to sleep. :D

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
We better do it fast Skeets, because they are now talking a second storm Tuesday.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well then, that being the case, I had better get to the distrubitors and pick up a case and get started :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW, you have really p***ed off the snow gods. We are supposed to get a foot or more of snow Friday into Saturday. Put your snowblower back on to Appease the Gods.
Yeah, I did it.:p

They're talking 1-4 here, depending on elevation.

We're low enough should be fine. Hoping more sleet than freezing rain.

I'm betting there's somebody in ME, VT or NH you can blame this one on!! :eek:

Jeepers, I had the 34" last week! Thought I paid my dues!

Seriously - stay safe. 8-12 isn't the end of the world, but this will be that heavy spring stuff...at least no leaves out yet....

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Well, I bit the bullet, so to speak. Up here in the north, we always get some form of snow storm in April, but I just could not resist removing the snowblower (getting up to 9C next few days). I did put on the new front plow, scraped the driveway of most of the remaining patches of ice/snow (plus some gravel :( ) , then removed the plow as well. Put on the FEL and went to the street to sweep up the sand on the pavement. I go through about 2-3 garbage cans (about 20 gallons/80 liter each can) worth of sand every winter on the driveway. The sand on the street is nice coarse sand, great gripping power. Got to get some more next few days. I have 1200 feet of frontage, sand is all mine!
Hey, its free sand for the taking. Filled up my ballast box in back and the FEL in front. Time to re-stock my garbage cans...

Last edited:

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
Yeah, I did it.:p

They're talking 1-4 here, depending on elevation.

We're low enough should be fine. Hoping more sleet than freezing rain.

I'm betting there's somebody in ME, VT or NH you can blame this one on!! :eek:

Jeepers, I had the 34" last week! Thought I paid my dues!

Seriously - stay safe. 8-12 isn't the end of the world, but this will be that heavy spring stuff...at least no leaves out yet....
Yeah... that would be me, here in NH. I took off the snowblower on Sunday, greased it up, stacked it on a pallet, and hauled it away to its summer resting place. I then started doing work with my FEL. Yesterday, while shaking my fist at the sky, I removed the FEL and removed the snowblower from its early and impetuously timed hibernation.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Yeah... that would be me, here in NH. I took off the snowblower on Sunday, greased it up, stacked it on a pallet, and hauled it away to its summer resting place. I then started doing work with my FEL. Yesterday, while shaking my fist at the sky, I removed the FEL and removed the snowblower from its early and impetuously timed hibernation.
YEP, it must be you! My snow blower is still on the tractor and the forecast for here is all rain.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well my snowblower is still on and we have had nothing but rain, lots of it. Have been looking at any of the long range forecasts for next week, and it sounded interesting, either severe tstorms or maybe snow. This is because I scheduled the sheep shearer for a week from tomorrow. :eek: Can't shear wet sheep and I am sure they would prefer not to lose their wool and then have it snow :(

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Maybe if we all raise a couple glasses of Guinness to the snowgods they might go back to sleep. :D
Probably put someone to sleep...

I moved the snowblower to the back of the garage yesterday and moved the lawn mower and tiller forward. Fired up the lawn mower and ground up the growth from last year's asparagus. Pretty sure I'm the first one in the hood to have their lawn mower running; the grass isn't doing anything yet.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Up to 6-7" of heavy wet snow. Trees are loaded right down and they are predicting 12+" here. Snow Gods are definitely angry.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
12" here of heavy, very dense snow. Makes huge snowballs trying to plow it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmmm spring huh,,, if its spring why is the wood burner still fired up,, HUH HUH answer me that

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Resurrecting an old thread - I started it exactly one year ago today!:cool:

We had some fun (fun..really?, if you call 3 feet of snow fun, and I caught some hell for it for angering the snow gods...:))

Was 61 degrees today, but instead of looking to take the blower off, I was greasing it....:(

I even put the box blade on last week, just in case we had a sniff of extended spring weather.

Not going to go there again...calling for 9-13" Friday!:eek:

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is an old thread, but was just thinking this today....not going there, lest I be chastised....;)

2 years ago, we got 34" after I pondered it; last year got 15"....

Give it another week...maybe 3 months will be safe...:p

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Here in northern Indiana we haven't had much snow this winter.
I think I've only used the blower on my 430 John Deere about 3 hours, and that includes cleaning out the neighbor's driveway too.

That's about the same amount of time it took me to take off the mower deck, change the oil, put on the chains, weights, cab, blower mount and blower.

That's why I bought my BX2230 last fall. I'm just going to leave the blower on the JD and use the BX for mowing and grounds maintenance.

Attachments

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Wow, no snow in Indiana? I thought everyone was getting hit this winter.

Until the end of January I thought all the predictions of a bad winter were wrong here, but then it went to minus 40 and then the snow came and didn't stop.
Only a couple weeks of snowfall, but got 11.5 feet in that couple weeks.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Winter is FAR from over here in the far west bush.. We got 30cm or so from early this morning until dark this evening. It may still be snowing out, I'm not going to bother to look until tomorrow.

I suspect this is a prime time of year in the far east for "lake effect" snows. They can be as wicked as the arctic flow driven snows here.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Right or wrong mine came off Sunday and I gotta tell ya it's great to have the loader back on. We haven't had much of a winter here but the bad side of that is it was cold and now lot's of frost. Mud season is upon us here and every year around this time I feel the urge to sell. We'll probably be leaving the truck out the road and travelling in and out with the bike until my road heals. Last year I took the blower off the end of February which worked out good.