To fuel or not to fuel

RCtoywizard

Equipment
Kubota M5040
Feb 27, 2009
Groton NH
www.twwrc.homestead.com
hello all
Hope everyone is doing better than the last couple of years.

I am doing away with my #2 oil fired furnace (it burned a hole through
the bottom of the heat exchanger and its $2500 to replace)

So I have two, 275 gal tanks installed inside my workshop. One is full of #2.

I have a Kubota 5040 (2008 new) and I want to use the left over fuel
to run my baby for the next year. I am also thinking about having a diesel load
delivered in the tanks and setting up an electric pump setup so I can fuel
up from the workshop tanks as needed.

My question is, will #2 be ok to burn in my 5040 and next fillup I would
fill with K1 (only one tanks worth) so it would be good for winters (in New
England).

Any thoughts on the subject? Hate to waste

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
As far as I understand #2 fuel oil is pretty similar to kerosene. I would say no to this question for the simple reason of the 08 Kubota is still under warantee I'm sure and anything other then highway or offroad diesel could die your injectors and if the tractor goes in for repairs the factory will not honor the repair because something other then diesel was used.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree with Eric. Don't put your warranty in jeopardy.
I believe that older diesels will run on heating oil. Like my old 12 valve cummins. But, I would be more careful with the newer, high pressure fuel delivery diesels.
I would filter it, and run it in something older. If you don't have one, sell the fuel oil to someone who does, clean the tank, and have you some offroad ULSD delivered.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
That stuff doesn't have the lubricity of diesel fuel either. Use caution, you don't want to ruin your motor.
I would agree with this - there are additives in #2 diesel that you would be missing.
There was a great post by Vic here a few months ago that covered this topic very completely - well worth searching for.

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
Here's the thing: the oil company who sold you the oil would likely be happy to pump it out and pay you for it. The only difference between off road diesel and highway diesel is the dye added for identification. This causes a lot of confusion. Kerosene is not the same as #2 diesel, nor is heating oil. The best policy is to stick with the fuel your engine is designed to use. Have any of you ever heard of the term "latrine lawyer"?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Nevermind scratch what I said. I was talking to a buddy of mine this evening who has been an HVAC tech for 8 years and an auto mechanic for a number of years also. He said number 2 fuel oil is the same ass off road diesel so your fine to run it in your tractor. HE did warn becareful with Kerosene in a diesle as it will make the engine run hotter then usual.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
It's exactly the same with the exception of the dye added for tax reason's only period. A good idea however would be to add some Power Service additive just in case there's a chance that the oil company mixed it with Kerosene to change the jell point.

I've pumped fuel since 1971 and other than additional additives for winter blend etc there's no difference. Also #1 diesel hasn't been available in northern Michigan for at least 20 years, so all winter blends here contain Kerosene so it won't jell up in outside tanks. This has been verified to me by several different oil distributors and my cousin has driven a fuel truck for over 20 years and they all tell the same story.
Al