Titan Ballast Box

u2builder

Equipment
BX2370 with loader and snowblower
Apr 7, 2016
Alstead, NH
I recently purchased a BX2370 with FEL and front mounted snow blower.

Although the dealer filled the rear tires, I soon realized very quickly how tippy the tractor can be if not squared up level to a pile, with the loader too high, or on uneven ground. I decided that I needed some additional weight on the rear for stability.

I first look at tractor weights but the cost of buying and mounting was just too much. I read that a lot of people like a heavy implement but again that was cost prohibitive and something I was not going to suggest to my wife so soon after she agreed to the tractor.

I saw the Titan ballast box on Ebay for $229 shipped and figured it was the least expensive approach.

It was shipped immediately and I got it in four days. It weighs 132 lbs and is very sturdy with box channel around the bottom, top, and corners, and plenty thick steel walls. It has a door for emptying ballast, and two metal tubes for rakes/shovels. It seems well made and comes with mounting pins.

It is powder coated a red color, not the Orange shown, and the red has some dark shades in places. I am debating whether to scuff the paint and respray Kobota Orange. It won't be as durable but I might do it anyway just for looks since the tractor is so new nd shiny orange.

I am going to fill it with some amount of 3/4" pea stone yet to be determined. I just have buckets of stone in it for now, since I have ordered a hitch I am going to bolt onto the bottom to transport my little car.

The tool holders are very hand for my rakes, and I figure I'll put a mat on top of the stone, and have room to carry my chain saw and other small tools.

Attachments

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
I have the same setup plus pallet forks.

A pair of plastic kitty litter buckets (filled with sand/salt) fit nicely in this ballast box. Gave me enough ballast when moving 500 lbs on the forks this week.
buckets2.jpg

My ballast box arrived with a few paint dings and scratches. Not surprising for taking 132 lbs of steel wrapped in cardboard that manhandled on and off the FedEx Ground truck then up to my door.
paint dings.jpg

Probably will paint mine Kubota orange this summer.

u2builder

Equipment
Apr 7, 2016
Alstead, NH
Mine somehow arrived in good shape, but I know I will have to paint it Kubota Orange II just because. I have my pea gravel in buckets now also and maybe will just keep it that way. I am still experimenting with weight. And waiting for hitch from Harbor Freight to bolt on.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Always keep your bucket as low as possible for stability, especially when traveling with a load. It is also a good idea to wear the seat belt and have the ROPS up when using the loader.

Sometime you might want to consider rear wheel spacers. Even 1 1/2" or 2" spacers make a big difference in the stability and side to side rocking on uneven ground. The machined aluminum spacers are nice and sometimes available on ebay at a good price.

u2builder

Equipment
Apr 7, 2016
Alstead, NH
Thanks. I learned to keep the bucket low quite quickly. I do keep the Rops up and am working hard on seatbelt training. And I think I'll explore the spacers. I think every little thing adds a bit more safety.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks. I learned to keep the bucket low quite quickly. I do keep the Rops up and am working hard on seatbelt training. And I think I'll explore the spacers. I think every little thing adds a bit more safety.
I put in the 2" from Bro-tek, made a huge difference in stability. Would have loved to gone 3", but would work with the mower deck.

u2builder

Equipment
Apr 7, 2016
Alstead, NH
I put in the 2" from Bro-tek, made a huge difference in stability. Would have loved to gone 3", but would work with the mower deck.
Are these only 'needed" on the rear? Is there any disadvantage? I don't have a mower deck, just FEL and snowblower which I haven't used yet. I suppose they would help provide more space for chains.

Just curious, how hard is it to dismount and mount a loaded rear wheel? I am "old" but new to tractors!

Thanks.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
When I installed my spacers I did it by myself (I am closer to 70 than 60) and used a 2 wheel hand truck to lift the loaded rear wheel back up to the axle. Loading adds about 125# to a BX2370 rear. When you install the spacers, put the fel loader bucket on the ground but not in float. Having the bucket solid on the ground prevents the front axle pivot from rolling left or right when you jack up the back end. I just put a floor jack under the draw bar and picked up both rear wheels.

I believe some have put spacers on the front, but I would not recommend it, because of the load on the front axles when using the front loader.

u2builder

Equipment
Apr 7, 2016
Alstead, NH
When I installed my spacers I did it by myself (I am closer to 70 than 60) and used a 2 wheel hand truck to lift the loaded rear wheel back up to the axle. Loading adds about 125# to a BX2370 rear. When you install the spacers, put the fel loader bucket on the ground but not in float. Having the bucket solid on the ground prevents the front axle pivot from rolling left or right when you jack up the back end. I just put a floor jack under the draw bar and picked up both rear wheels.

I believe some have put spacers on the front, but I would not recommend it, because of the load on the front axles when using the front loader.
Thanks. That's a good way to put it. I am so close to 70 I can feel it. My body told me it was time for a tractor. I am late to the party but having a good time.

I sanded my ballast box lightly to prep it for a Kobota Orange respray when it warms up. We had a mild winter but spring has been cold and wet.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
To enjoy it next winter go see your neighbor tcrote5516 about building a cab.
I also bought my tractor to plow snow and decided to add in the fel just to make life easier (adding in the fel was a really wise move makes life a lot easier). The real justification for me having a tractor came later when I added a grading scraper and rear blade for maintaining the driveway.

u2builder

Equipment
Apr 7, 2016
Alstead, NH
To enjoy it next winter go see your neighbor tcrote5516 about building a cab.
I also bought my tractor to plow snow and decided to add in the fel just to make life easier (adding in the fel was a really wise move makes life a lot easier). The real justification for me having a tractor came later when I added a grading scraper and rear blade for maintaining the driveway.
That's a pretty darn nice set up! My bother has been snowblowing my long 1/4 mile driveway for quite a few years. He lives next door and has a L series with rear blower. My wife and I always feel a bit guilty that he does this every time it snows, which is one justification for me getting the new BX2370 and blower. He has an unheated fabric cab. I'll just put on a warm jacket. I do a lot around the house with a 39 inch Simplicity walk behind so the Kubota will be a big improvement. At least I won't be on foot muscling that Simplicity beast.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I have the same setup plus pallet forks.

A pair of plastic kitty litter buckets (filled with sand/salt) fit nicely in this ballast box. Gave me enough ballast when moving 500 lbs on the forks this week.
View attachment 21628

My ballast box arrived with a few paint dings and scratches. Not surprising for taking 132 lbs of steel wrapped in cardboard that manhandled on and off the FedEx Ground truck then up to my door.
View attachment 21629

Probably will paint mine Kubota orange this summer.
Does this work with a quick hitch? I called Titan but got yes/no..maybe answers

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Short answer=NO. Read more in the GTT links below, they don't know because they are not tractor people, they buy stuff in quantity from China and resell it here in the US:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/metalworking-fabrication/60042-mod-titan-ballast-box.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...330-titan-ballast-box;-i-expected-better.html
Well to tell the truth I didn't get much better information from calling Kubota. They said their box "B8160 may be quick hitch compatible but it may not be."
Same answers from Coleman and Messicks for the most part. I will find one or have one built, I could always hook my tiller up I guess and forget the BB