tire ware 9540

ibentaken

Feb 10, 2010
desoto kansas
Does any one know how to aline the front end of a 9540 4 wheel drive the issue is the right front tire is warring on the out side and doing it to fast the left front tire is good.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have a hub problem, probably a bad bearing or race.
It's not an alignment issue that you can just adjust out by the linkage.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Does any one know how to aline the front end of a 9540 4 wheel drive the issue is the right front tire is warring on the out side and doing it to fast the left front tire is good.
First thing you have to do is check for worn or damaged parts. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you check your tie rod ends and watch for a loose steering arm, then jack up each side separately using a bar under the wheel pry up, then try rocking the top of the wheel back and forth ( works better with 2 people) If you have no loose parts, paint the centre of the tire and scribe a line ( use a board with a nail in it) after one revolution of the tire the line has to line up if not start over. Then use a tape measure and measure front and rear at the same height front and rear and side to side, the front should be about 1/16" shorter. If you have to adjust, center your steering cylinder and eyeball down your front tires towards the rear tires, you'll see which wheel is toeing in too much and adjust accordingly. The wheels should have weight on them when you check the toe in and when you adjust. I hope this was helpful Barry

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I forgot to mention when you have too much toe in it usually wears the right tire outside and toe out wears the left inside tire.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I agree with Wbk but I always measured even with spindle(center of axle on a MFWD) to determine toe-in. My M7040 operators manual states toe-in should be checked every 200 hrs and should be 0.04-0.20 inches

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wouldn't a bad brg wear a tire out on the inside not outside?
Top bearing, or bad race can cause outside tire wear, the drive gear forces the shaft to the outside "picking up" the center line of the tire and wearing the outside.

But rethinking my previous statement, I think that Wbk has it right, toe in or toe out is more likely the problem in this case.
MFWD tractors tend to pick one side or the other to wear more when they are out of adjustment due to the force of the drive components.
and being that it's a larger tractor weight on the drive and alignment plays a bigger role then smaller tractors

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Top bearing, or bad race can cause outside tire wear, the drive gear forces the shaft to the outside "picking up" the center line of the tire and wearing the outside.
Top brg on what the king pin? I can't visualize how a bad brg anywhere on a frt axle where the tire is at the extreme outside with weight on it will cause wear on outside of the tire. Incorrect toe-in definitely can cause outside wear.