Tire Inflation

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
BX25D manual says 17 psi rear 22 psi front. Did a check (about a year too late) to find the fronts are @32; rears @24. This is from the dealer (mind you the same dealer that overfilled the oil, but I digress). Checked with two gauges just in case and both are within a pound or so first thing in the morning so the tires were as cool as they get.

I have been moving road base gravel to resurface my road - weighs in @ 500lbs a loader bucket so lots of stress on the fronts.

Normally I would just drop them back to spec but I have read some complaints on the front tires giving up and wondered if the dealer knows it's better to run them a little higher.

Comments?

Andy

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
BX25D manual says 17 psi rear 22 psi front. Did a check (about a year too late) to find the fronts are @32; rears @24. This is from the dealer (mind you the same dealer that overfilled the oil, but I digress). Checked with two gauges just in case and both are within a pound or so first thing in the morning so the tires were as cool as they get.

I have been moving road base gravel to resurface my road - weighs in @ 500lbs a loader bucket so lots of stress on the fronts.

Normally I would just drop them back to spec but I have read some complaints on the front tires giving up and wondered if the dealer knows it's better to run them a little higher.

Comments?

Andy

typically on an FEL machine - you do run the fronts up a bit, but those rears and front numbers.....I am surprised you still have your teeth!:D:) THE ride must be hell on a small bump with nothing in the FEL.:eek: You might want to back off the front some....and the rears too!

The ride will be 100% better, the grip on poor surfaces will be 100% better too!!
And if you notice a flattened front tire over time, place some green slime in it!;):)

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
In my manual for the L4060 the pressures (front) are the recommended pressure without a front end loader, or add on weights. There is a note that says to inflate the fronts to "maximum pressure" for loader use. I read this to mean sidewall max pressure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Actually higher pressures in the tires is bad for everything including the tires, as that is the only shock absorption that the unit has.
So with over inflated tires and a full bucket load of material it multiplies every bump and shock to all the hard parts of the tractor.
Lower the tire to the proper inflation levels. ;)
Note: As rjcorazza notes, higher pressures for FEL use, But the fact that the BX25D was always equipped stock with a loader and not an option to not have a loader, the pressures in the manual are with loader pressures.

Last edited:

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I believe the sidewall says 22 max, have run mine at 25 for 2 years in the front, 20 in the rears.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Gosh!
When the suggested air pressure is run on the fronts of the "big tractor", I tend to rip the tires off the beads whenever the steering brakes are used to get out of a bind in the woods.

I run 'em HARD! There is never an issue , and I know why they skid when they do.

Winter snow and ice is more tolerant.