Tire Chains on BX

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Guys-

I'm sure covered here before, but I intend to run rear tire chains on BX2360 this winter, running front mount snowblower.

I don't have wheel spacers. Looks a little tight around the tire. I've run chains on my "green" one before OK, but might have had a little more room.

I didn't get chains when I bought the tractor - can buy them better and cheaper from my local hardware store.

Will they run alright without spacers? Even though the BX is 4WD with rear tire ballast, I doubt it can do it without chains - been doing it for 22 years.

As always - thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
RC, I don't know what kind of tires you have but I run my BX 2360 with out chains (R4 tires) plowing and doing all sorts of silly things,,, ANd if you have bar tires you will loose chain in the tread unless you buy chains made for the bar type tires ,,,if they are turf tires then you wont loose any chain
BUT, I did fill the rear tires and have wheel weights, 75 pounds each wheel, and the old gal never misses a beat pushing snow or dirt, gravel, pulling the back blade,or doing other silly things

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I should have mentioned - R4's on it - 26-12-12

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Make sure you buy chains with a 2 link spacing between cross chains. The 4 link ones are cheaper but will allow the chains to fall between the treads. You might get by without the chains, but if you live in the part of New York that gets a lot of snow, you will be happy to have them. The tractor will push more and handle better with them. I live in New Hampshire and very few people move snow without chains. If you run just R-4s plain and you get sticky snow and operate on any sort of hill, you could end up taking a wild and dangerous out of control slide. Been there done that with a pay loader with R-4's. By a good quality set of chains and they will serve you well.

Ancbill

Equipment
Bx2360, 54" mmm, BX2750D snowblower, RB0560 rear blade, psycho border collie
Dec 17, 2011
Anchorage, ak
I use chains that form a diamond pattern between the crossbars the chains also have "studs" welded to them. My bx2360 has the r4 s and I've never had a problem with the chains going between the bars. I also installed studs in my front tires, they really help too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I planned on the 2 link chains. Skeets - my old Deere had a 4 foot front snowblower, and 2WD.

My driveway is stone, so I have to run the snowblower up high, especially early in the season. (I'm hoping the kubota shoes work as well as the green ones did)

After a while it gets a good packed base and I can raise the shoes up, but it can also get icy, so I'm not sure even the 4WD will do the trick. Its kinda steep in a couple places, and I put sand down, but it can be greasy.

So, I'm guessing chains are a necessity, just want to see if you guys get them to run on 26-12-12 without spacers.

Thanks.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Made sure it was tight on the inside of the wheel. After "working the chains in" inside looks good. So far, so good.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You must have some wicked grass up there in NY if you need chains with your MMM. :p

Our grass quit growing a month ago, we get this neat white stuff now. ;)

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW,

how close are those to the MMM? Where did you get your chains from?
thanks
Very close - one had some slack that slapped the deck a little. Had to cinch it up a bit. MMM is off now - came off shortly after chains went on. Snowblower goes on soon.

Got them at a locally-owned hardware store in my small hometown. They ordered them in for $130. (I don't buy stuff online much)

N.I.W. - we've had some wet years when I had to mow with my ol' John Deere with chains - my tractors have to be part mountain goat!

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
thanks for the answer, i have no "nice" place to take my MMM off, not a flat spot around nor a place i can roll it around,so i will have it on pushing the white stuff around here, if when it come, hell - maybe i just cut the blades on and have mini snow blower...:D
I might order a set of chains online.....dont want any rubbing !

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
thanks for the answer, i have no "nice" place to take my MMM off, not a flat spot around nor a place i can roll it around,so i will have it on pushing the white stuff around here, if when it come, hell - maybe i just cut the blades on and have mini snow blower...:D
I might order a set of chains online.....dont want any rubbing !
After they were pulled tight, they may not hit the deck. Not sure though, since the deck came off. I did mow once with it on, and it was OK. You are moving much faster mowing than pushing snow. Slow down, and it may be all good.

In these parts, the MMM could act like a skid plate, and high-center the whole tractor. You'd just sit and spin.

I'd try the chains. If that doesn't work, find a spot to hank the deck and store it. Just my opinion.

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
I went to my kubota dealer today and asked if they had a set of chains for the r4's on the front of the bx25d. I bought some rear ones when I bought it. They were searching for sizes and said they have never sold chains for the front of this tractor and then the service guy came out and said it would break the front axels and they don't recommend or sell chains for it. So I'll give it a try just rears for now. Then if it's really bad with out them ill order some online.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Ummm, did you or did you not wind up using spacers? I just picked up two link chains for my BX-2670 today. I haven't been down on my knees to look at available space yet.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ummm, did you or did you not wind up using spacers? I just picked up two link chains for my BX-2670 today. I haven't been down on my knees to look at available space yet.
I did not use spacers. When tight, all is good, so far. I've done the driveway several times now without issues.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I went to my kubota dealer today and asked if they had a set of chains for the r4's on the front of the bx25d. I bought some rear ones when I bought it. They were searching for sizes and said they have never sold chains for the front of this tractor and then the service guy came out and said it would break the front axels and they don't recommend or sell chains for it. So I'll give it a try just rears for now. Then if it's really bad with out them ill order some online.
Look around on here - I think there is an old thread on front chains. I think fronts are 18-8.5-10 or so - shouldn't be hard to find.

I'll be looking for that thread, too. Mine front-end's been skating around on slopes. Chains might help.