Tire Chain Install

Bucks n Rubbers

Jan 14, 2011
Sudbury Ontario
Need some serious advice . I purchased a set of " H " style chains for 17.5x 24 R4 tires. I have tried to install them three times already , and come up about 9 inches short on the final outside connection. Any hints as to what I may be doing wrong? Chains are straight , and not twisted when attempting the install. Have raised tires off the ground , and also deflated the tire to put them on. I am guessing that I receive dthe wrong size chains , but thought I would check here for help. I have walked the chains on the tire as per instructions . I will send pictures and check with the supplier if advice from here does not help. Thank's.

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Sorry to hear you're wrestling with the wrong size chains.

I did some web searching and found mine at Ken Jones http://www.kenjones.com/Scripts/XlistAll.aspx?XGID=CHAINS_TRACTOR.

Their web site is easy to navigate and the folks there were friendly, helpful and knew their stuff.

The chains arrived a little too long but after trimming back, they fit snugly and only took a little tug-of-war to figure them out and get them on.

Of course, now in the muddy spring I don't wan tot tear up the ground so I think mostly the chains will be hung up until next winter.

Good luck.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
The tire lugs might be keeping you from "walking" the chains snug, and in place.
Try removing the tire and installing.
You will be amazed at how much more snug they will be.
Fasten one end in place with bungie cords, pin the tire between your knees, and work the chain on the tire.

I bet you will make up the 9 inches you are short.
Let us know.

Side note:
Measure the length of the chain against the outside dia. of the tire,
Should be very similar.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Measure the dia. of the tire about 3/4 up the side wall.
That's where the chains wil ride.

I still think you can make up the nine inches you are short.
I went thru the same issue with my chains.
We cut them then thought we measured almost 1.5f feet short.
The rungs would catch on the lugs and rob me of distance.

2 people shold be able to remove the tires and walk them on.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Bucks n Rubbers

Jan 14, 2011
Sudbury Ontario
Ok , finally took some measurements. Measured chain width at 24 inches. Used this measurement to locate where chains should fit on the tire sidewall. Then measured the circumference of the tire at this point. Tire circumference is 120 inches ,and the length of the chains is 110 inches. Definitely the wrong chains, or I need to get alot stronger to stretch the chains.

Bucks n Rubbers

Jan 14, 2011
Sudbury Ontario
Heard back from the supplier , and they notified me that I did receive the wrong size chains. They said the length was right , but the width was to narrow. New set being shipped. Thank's again for all the help.

Bucks n Rubbers

Jan 14, 2011
Sudbury Ontario
Did not receive a new set of chains, but was shipped a set of H-crossers and extra chain. After a couple of hours assembling these new pieces into the originals , I now have a set of chains which fit. Would have been nicer to get chains that actually fit , but this did save alot of shipping headaches.
Thank's again for everyones help.

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Glad to hear you got everything worked out, finally. Enjoy your traction. OTT is all about helping each other - what better motivation is there?
David