Tips for Using a Box Scraper?

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for in a search...hope another thread is not redundant.

I'm trying to smooth some areas of my property that are rough and uneven enough to make mowing difficult. So I set out last weekend for the first time with my BX2360 with FEL and box scraper (no TnT) and found out I've got a lot to learn about using a box scraper.

The obvious problem is the tractor, and hence the scraper, are moving up and down from front to back over the rough terrain. So I'm not actually smoothing anything and finding it difficult to lift/lower the scraper to compensate and get a good result.

The best result I got was to just dig an area up, with FEL and scraper, and then back drag with the FEL. Seems like there must be a better way with the scraper?

Any tips? Is this even the right tool for the job?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Setting the proper angle is really important and may need to be done often. To keep the BB on the ground, just keep the self centering 3PH lever in the down position, some use a bungee cord.

You definitely are working as a disadvantage on the BX and no position control. I fooled with them for years and never got where I wanted to be.

Good luck.

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Setting the proper angle is really important and may need to be done often. To keep the BB on the ground, just keep the self centering 3PH lever in the down position, some use a bungee cord.
That's a simple thing that I probaby never would have thought of. So that would essentially let the BB float? I can see that being really useful for final passes with the BB angled onto the back edge. Thanks.

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
I'm no pro, but I know it takes a lot of time....
your knocking down the humps and filling the holes with the spoils from the humps.... take the tops off the bigger humps towards the larger dips and repeat (over and over....).

before you know it, there will only be the minor dips where you fill from making many long passes with the bucket laid back where its not "digging" but more dragging.

it takes time. depending on your lot, you may just rent a dozer and bust it out.
I have a 1.5 acre lot we will build our home on, I want to lower the upper end by 3-4 foot and drag it diagonally across the lot to level it out.

REMEMBER, you have to take into consideration where the "run off" from heavy rains, where it goes, or you will loose soil, or make a lake. (it needs a little slope to drain)

good luck

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Drop the scarifier teeth and tear the ground up and get it loose, then fine grade it all out. The teeth will help loosen the dirt up and take out and crowns in the dirt. Move dirt from high spots to low spots. With enough seat time and practise you'll get the hang of it.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Try to shave it off in layers. Each pass will get you closer. You'll want the blade square or slightly down in front, lengthen the top link if needed. If you have rippers, set them about the same depth as the blade to help the blade cut. Work the blade up and down as you need to, it's sort of like steering, constant small corrections will get you there.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
That's a simple thing that I probaby never would have thought of. So that would essentially let the BB float? I can see that being really useful for final passes with the BB angled onto the back edge. Thanks.
Yes it will allow the bb to float.

Due to the lack of position control 3PH hitch and relatively light weight of a 48" my hat is off to anyone who can "easily level anything and I've done quite a bit of bb work.

I have finally taken a fall back position and now use my L5740 with TnT and a HD Land Pride HR3584.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Don I have the same tractor, Im still working on building a box blade, I do have a back blade so I understand about the float, I just hold the lever back as I move forward allowing it to float over the ground, though I did make a set of feet for it so the blade will not just keep diggin in. I have moved a lot of gravle and dirt with it , not as easy as a box blade might be but it just takes time and some playing around to figure out what works best for you. Thats half the fun of useing this stuff, and when you do figure it out, you can sit back and tell the next guy,, It aint that hard all ya have to do is,,,,,,

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Don I have the same tractor, Im still working on building a box blade, I do have a back blade so I understand about the float, I just hold the lever back as I move forward allowing it to float over the ground, though I did make a set of feet for it so the blade will not just keep diggin in.
I've been reading about gauge wheels and skids, but I'm not sure that would help until I have the worst of it cut down. Sounds like I just need more practice and patience.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Useing a box blade or scraper is like driveing a log truck on a rutted dirt road,, you have to constantly makes adjustments, except they're up and down. Once you understand that when the front of the tractor goes up, the back goes down and vice versa, it makes it a little easer. I have a bx and 2 long gravel driveways. I made a center grader blade that goes where the mmmower goes. Being in the center, it does just the opposite as the blades on the end. It self levels humps and fills holes.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
I made a center grader blade that goes where the mmmower goes. Being in the center, it does just the opposite as the blades on the end. It self levels humps and fills holes.
That sounds like the ideal item. Any chance of getting pictures of that?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Yea, I knew you all would want pictures!!! Next time I take the deck off, I'll get some. I use it a lot in the spring when we have heavy rains..