Tilling with fast speed

Neire

Equipment
B5000
Jun 11, 2017
Belgium
Hi all,

I'm wondering if tilling with slow pto speed and high drive speed would harm the tractor.

I want to till just the first inch to remove the weeds that are comming out. But i dont want to mulch the dirt in too small pieces..

I tried today with a harrow but the weeds are getting in betweet the tooth..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion
I think you'll be fine. Your dirt looks loose enough to do what you are considering with no problems. You should see the clay ground we have in nw pa!

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I don't see how it could harm your tractor. I would suggest you set the tiller depth to the level of the roots and go as fast as that will allow.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi all,

I'm wondering if tilling with slow pto speed and high drive speed would harm the tractor.

I want to till just the first inch to remove the weeds that are comming out. But i dont want to mulch the dirt in too small pieces..

I tried today with a harrow but the weeds are getting in betweet the tooth..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk
for a cp=

In my part of Canada the farmers, unless they are organic, use chemical "Roundup." Loosening up the soil over here just provides a nice bed for thistles and tough weeds.

What is your end goal for this land?

How big is this plot? Large sheet of black plastic spread over it for a couple of sunny days would bake the vegetation dead then move the plastic. Practical unless were are talking large area.

Dave M7040

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Depth should be set on the tiller itself, not with travel speed. Set the depth where you want it, run the PTO at normal speed, and travel as fast as you care to go without sacrificing results or bogging the engine.