Tiller for BX1870

ndear88

Equipment
BX1870
Feb 3, 2019
NW PA
Hi everyone.

I want to invest in a tiller for my BX1870 this spring. After doing some research, it sounds like a 4ft would be best for my tractor. I've checked out a few options, but seem to like the KingCutter.

I want to make sure that I'll be OK with only having an 18HP engine (13.7HP PTO). The 540 RPM speed is a perfect match but everything I've looked at suggested a 20-25 HP engine.

Anyone have experience or recommendations for the BX1870? I have the newer loader (LX 534 I think) and the 60" non-drive over mowing deck.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
It will depend on your soil type. After you get your first pass done you could take 3' bites for the rest. FWIW I run a 6' with an L4740.

esloser

Equipment
working on BX1870-1
Oct 30, 2015
Millville, NJ
I have a bx1870-1 that I run a landpride forward rotating 1250 behind in New Jersey. I used it to replant grass on my 1/2 acre and use it for a 12x24’ garden I “farm” each year. It works awesome and is much better than the walk-behinds.

Now, it is a bit heavy and when I back up and stop, the front could pop up without the fel on it. Otherwise, I have no problems with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndear88

Equipment
BX1870
Feb 3, 2019
NW PA
That setup looks great! Is that a 4ft? I will be working 1/2 acre to 1 acre (not all at one time). We're pretty much clay here with some rocks. I'm in the middle of farm country -- the land is fairly high-quality.

How does it tolerate rocks/stones? Did you choose the forward rotating vs rear rotating?

I have a bx1870-1 that I run a landpride forward rotating 1250 behind in New Jersey. I used it to replant grass on my 1/2 acre and use it for a 12x24’ garden I “farm” each year. It works awesome and is much better than the walk-behinds.

Now, it is a bit heavy and when I back up and stop, the front could pop up without the fel on it. Otherwise, I have no problems with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esloser

Equipment
working on BX1870-1
Oct 30, 2015
Millville, NJ
I think it is actually 50”. It covers the rear wheel width. I have no problems with it, although my soil is all that rocky. I have hit broken bricks and rocks from when they built the house without any issues. It’s more than enough tractor to handle it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

esloser

Equipment
working on BX1870-1
Oct 30, 2015
Millville, NJ
To answer your other question, I did have a choice between forward and rear rotating. The forward saved me some money and I was told it was easier on the tractor since the rotating tiller helped push the tractor along vs having to pull it while rotating in the opposite direction.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You want a tiller that's wider than the rear track width of the tractor. So if your tractor measures 39" outside to outside of the rear tires, a 40" tiller will be sufficient, though a couple inches wider wouldn't hurt.

On the BX's, 99.99% of them, the tiller's PTO shaft is way too long. You'll have to cut it down. The proper way to do it is to hook the tiller to the tractor and then cut it so that the front coupler will just barely clear the end of the tractor's pto shaft. Any shorter than that is too short. If left too long, they can bottom out and cause pto shaft, seal, bearing and ultimately transmission damage.

canfield

Jan 27, 2019
Oregon, USA
I just purchased the RTR0542 for my 1880. Seems like a perfect fit for it. Going to put it to the test this weekend.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Iwill add that no matter what tiller you get, if the ground if virgin ( meaning never having been worked before) When you start your first trip dont just drop it down and figure its going to hog it all up. Set it down on the ground and make sever shallow passes. It will be a mess getting the grass and such pulled up. Rake all that out! Then start making a first pass letting it dig in a little bit say maybe 2 inches and till your plot up. Then go back to the start let it dig in say another 2 inches and till this will take some time but this way is easiest on your equipment should you find roots, rocks, old wire or pipes. Most of all be safe and have fun !!!