Tiller Compare

Dennis42

Equipment
L3301 HST w/ LA525 FEL, BH77 w/ thumb, QH15, LP-BB2560, LP-RCR1860
Jul 31, 2017
Ashville, AL
I've been a member for a while and have been able to search and find the answer to my questions, but here is a new one.
I have a L3301HST and want to get a tiller. (Mostly want, some need.) I have about 10 acres that I need to smooth out. I feel that I am running over a washboard with hills and valleys. Has anyone compared the Landpride 12 series to the 15 series tillers. Is the 12 series big enough to do what I want or is the 15 series overkill?

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I have a RTR1274. It has a lot of hours on it. The Tractor is a L3540. It has held up well. I wrapped a log chain it. A fence post. Barbed wire.

That being said I would not buy another one. The chain adjuster is a poor design.

You turn a stud that is a pivot to a lever. Then you are hold the stud at 20 to 30 ft lbs. While you tighten a jamb nut to 400 ft. lbs. Then it still will not stay tight.

RTR12 Series Tillers
Refer to Figure 3-2:
1. Loosen jam nut and torque chain tightener stud
counterclockwise 20 to 30 ft-lbs.
2. Retighten jam nut to 400 ft-lbs. Be sure to hold chain
tightener stud in position while tightening jam nut.

Look at page 14 of the parts manual.
https://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/manuals/311-883p.pdf

I would look at:
www.everythingattachments.com

micdelbo

Equipment
B3350
Dec 14, 2016
Schuylkill County, PA
I use a king kutter and do about 180 jobs per year. I've other brands but King Kutter is built the best.
I have a 60" king kutter from Tractor Supply for about 14 years. I have an 80x200 sweet corn patch/garden and an 80x60 pumpkin patch. I plow both in spring and then use the tiller when I plant my corn in stages and vegetables as well. I also use it for tilling under the sweet corn stalks and planting buckwheat cover crops as well as my winter wheat cover crop.

I have also found that it is a great tool for leveling and planting grass. I have planted acres and acres of lawn by tilling the soil, picking rocks, broadcasting grass seed and then running the tiller to only till the seed into the top inch or so of soil. I have found I need to use more grass seed but don't have to hand rake except for small areas or transitions to existing sod. In some cases I have tilled once, sown and tilled the seed in a very short time period due to threatening rain. I thought it didn't look great, but have discovered the grass comes in and the settling of the tilled ground is very even. As long as I don't drive over it and create ruts the end result is excellent.

The ground here in PA tends to be very rocky and I have excavated quite a bit so I am usually not planting in great topsoil.

The KK tiller has required zero maintenance other than greasing the bearings and checking the gear case fluid. I even have the slip clutch tightened to the point a large rock or root, etc will get jammed and stall the tractor if I don't kill the pto in time.

The outside tines are getting pretty pointed and so I may need to get replacements or weld on some potato digger rod, but other than that it is a great unit.

Prior to this I use to use an 8 foot offset disk with my 3000 Ford. This is much better for gardening and the additional use for grass, etc. is a bonus.

I even used the tiller one time on my stone driveway when we had a storm that left 4-6 inches of a semi frozen slush that the loader could not get through. I ran the tiller over it during the day and it broke it up enough that it melted much faster.

Some have said the paint job was cheap, but it has sat outside since I own it and doesn't look bad. I do try to clean all the dirt off that clings to the underside and rear flap every fall to prevent moisture against the steel, but I probably have forgot to do that a couple of times.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk