Tie down points on L3800

saxon

Equipment
B1550, BX2230, G2160
Sep 29, 2011
Pelzer, SC
I am trying to figure out where is the best places on the L3800 w/loader to tie down at? I am getting some load binders and chains asap for hauling the tractor on a equipment trailer but don't see yet any good points to hook at.
Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
What I did on my tractor was bought a clevis and stick in on the draw bar and run a chain threw there and then I run another chain across the loader arms just behind the bucket. Works great.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I am trying to figure out where is the best places on the L3800 w/loader to tie down at? I am getting some load binders and chains asap for hauling the tractor on a equipment trailer but don't see yet any good points to hook at.
Thanks
Eric:

We just went through the "tunnel" (round tubes) with chain binders. If you don't want to scratch the paint, just use large sling straps with ratchet binders.

Additionally, we put hooks on both sides of the back of the loader bucket. It's an easy install there. We use those for lifting mostly when you need to sling something.

Burt

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Mine's not that new to have those tubes your talking about on the loder. I see what your saying though. How much of a pain is it to run a chain threw there?

KUBOTA4900

Equipment
KUBOTA M4900SDC & LA100C LOADER,PALLET FORKS,BRUSH HOG BOX SCRAPER 3PT HITCH
Feb 3, 2013
durango colo la plata co
depending on size of equipment there are state and federal laws so were you are traveling and are you going to be on a state hiway or federal road

the weight of your equipment and your trailer and the vehicle towing it determines if you fall into that catagory

most states i have researched require whats known a a 3point tie down 2 in the front and 1 in the rear just as most have stated

[

Last edited:

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I use a large shackle thru the rear drawbar with independent straps/chains on each side in the rear as well as independent straps/chains to each side of the factory installed brush guard in front on my L3200 with loader.

So I am using a four point hookup. And as long as there is nothing for the tie downs to rub on, I prefer to use proper load rated straps rather than chains, at least for these smaller equipment items.

David

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use ratchet straps over the loader subframe. It works great on my tractor but your loader is probably made different than mine is since it's newer.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What I did on my tractor was bought a clevis and stick in on the draw bar and run a chain threw there and then I run another chain across the loader arms just behind the bucket. Works great.

Eric - a couple of questions if you don't mind
1) You mean the drawbar that extends from under the rear axel and not a drawbar mounted in the lower three point hitch arms, correct?

2) From other posts you seem to have a strong aversion to straps and want to use chains and binders for heavy loads. Is this from some failure experience with straps/webbing/slings? I have some fairly heavy slings that are like the ones on page 12 of the link below. I use them around the axles and then straps below that. My tractor "only" weighs about one ton so it is not an incredibly heavy load and I have only moved it once - when purchased to its new home. I am just curious on this...

http://www.stren-flex.com/PDFs/Stren-Flex-Catalog.pdf

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
1) You mean the drawbar that extends from under the rear axel and not a drawbar mounted in the lower three point hitch arms, correct?

2) From other posts you seem to have a strong aversion to straps and want to use chains and binders for heavy loads. Is this from some failure experience with straps/webbing/slings? I have some fairly heavy slings that are like the ones on page 12 of the link below. I use them around the axles and then straps below that. My tractor "only" weighs about one ton so it is not an incredibly heavy load and I have only moved it once - when purchased to its new home. I am just curious on this...

Eric knows better than I do, but I always thought that you had to use chains for heavier loads. Keeping the tractor on the trailer is just part of the job; keeping it there in a collision is the bigger responsibility. Your tractor may only weigh a ton, but it weighs MUCH more than that in an impact. Chains are much stronger than straps, so there should be a limit to how much you tie down with straps.
That being said, how many times do you see rental places, heavy equipment operators, etc. using straps for heavy loads? They all use chains and binders.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Pretty much like Hodge says, most importantly you have to keep the tractor chained to the trailer in the event things go south. While straps are rated for a specific working load limit that have no shock resistance to them. And they tear and break too easily. I've been truck driving for 10 years and the last 2 of those was in a tractor trailer pulling a flat bed. I had both straps and chains on the rig and I can't count the number of times a 5000lb strap broke going down the highway.

It's going to cause a bigger mess and more of an expense on the driver of the truck hauling equipment if the load comes loose from the trailer and end up going who knows where into another lane or ontop of somebody. Alot of times by law your required to have four separate points of tie down. Meaning four individual chains, four individual binders and possibly a fifth chain and binder has to be used if it has a boom. Like a backhoe or excavator would.

Here's a prime example of what could go wrong as this driver earlier today in my neck of the woods jacked knifed his dump truck and flat bed trailer.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ohh and I forgot to mention yes I run my clevis threw the draw bar that comes out from the bottom of the tractor. Here's a picture.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
OHHH YEEAHHH I kinda get ahead of myself sometimes and forget things. What I saw on page 12 of the PDF you gave are lifing staps, they work great for heavy loads that you're lifing and you can acheve greater strength when made into a basket. I used to use alot of those straps and slings when I drove heavy duty wreckers and had to recover a bus or a tractor trailer. And yep I've broken my fair share of those too.

But as I mentioned a moment ago straps of any nature even the one's you're using have no static or shock load to them and they snap and break.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That being said, how many times do you see rental places, heavy equipment operators, etc. using straps for heavy loads? They all use chains and binders.
Well here is one place in Canada that uses straps with tractors:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9997

This is what kind of got me to thinking about if straps were "acceptable".

Keeping the tractor on the trailer is just part of the job; keeping it there in a collision is the bigger responsibility.
And now another point to dwell on... If the trailer weighs 1000 and the tractor weighs 2000 are you trying to tie the tractor to the trailer or the trailer to the tractor?

I am aware of the F=m*a formula and understand that the forces under accelerations are much greater than the dead weight of the load. I also understand that I do not want the tractor in the front seat with me. I can't argue that the chains are probably the BEST and SAFEST for heavy loads. I am mostly just curious on this and don't own heavy chains nor binders and have used the heavy straps I have and just wanted to ask opinions.

Hodge and Eric - thanks for the answers

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

This is a subject that starts arguements about like oil questions. :eek: :mad: :confused:

The straps you listed are like the ones we used for lifting some very heavy loads with our crane where I worked. Some will say only use chains for binding loads down. But when it comes to lifting a heavy load a chain is the last choice. A strap or wire rope will be used, ask any crane operator.

So my question is this, why is a chain not good for lifting a load but suppose the be the best for holding a load down?
Makes no sense to me.

How many of you have steel delivered? We had it delivered on a regular basis and it was rare to ever see a chain holding down their load. They all used nylon straps that were mounted to the bed of the trailer.
Anybody else watch Ice Road Truckers? About every load (not all) you see on there is held with straps.

Not firing any shots so no war please, :D just throwing out a few thoughts. Ratchet straps have load rating just like chains and binders do. If you use a strap with the propper rating and have it hooked correctly I don't see the problem with them. I've been using straps to secure my tractors for 20+ years without any problem. If they get a cut or any spot that looks bad I throw them away and replace it with a new one. :cool:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I had seen those pictures of Wildfires new tractor being delivered. More then likely the dealership used straps because they didn't want to take a chance scratching the paint job. Can't really blame them for that one. If that was me delivering I'd use chains and find something to keep the two metals seperate the scratching like a piece of cardboard or some shop rags.

I'll be honest with ya on my little B6100 I use two chains and two binders, one front and one rear.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
YEP I've hauled steel too and used chains all the time. And Bulldog to answer why a driver uses web straps compaired to chains can best be answered to pure lazyness. It's a helluva lot quicker and easier to unroll a stap off the side of a flat bed toss it across and hook it then tighten up. Where a chain you have to dig it out of a box, try and get it over the load, anchor it down then go find a binder and get to cranking.

Here's a prime picutre where I'm ratting myself on a WHOOPS load of construction mats that shifted on me a few miles from the drop off.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Like I said, I use straps with the L3200. Four 7500lb rated straps holding a 4500lb tractor in place is fines and within the law, at least in my state. Probably way overkill in reality, but I have yet to loose anything on the road, and do not want to start now!

Of course like many other things in life, you have to use what works best and is applicable to what is being held in place. Straps work better and make more sense in certain applications, and chains are the only choice in other applications.

For that reason, I carry both and select the proper chain/strap for the load,

David

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I won't argue against the lazy. By the way, nice pic to back up your point.

I think anything used incorrectly is subject to fail. I will continue to use my straps but if my tractor ever ends up in the cab with me I fully expect 2 things Eric.

1. If it kills me then I want you to tell everyone that you tried to tell the dumbass that straps were no good.
2. If it doesn't kill me then you tell me the about the above msg again and make me promise to change over to chains.

Thanks buddy, I know I can count on you.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Really as far as transport goes alot of it boils down to OSHA and DOT laws. Yeah laws are different all across the land. DOT laws are pretty much universal across the land. Even with that I think the DOT man makes up bullshit laws as he sees fit just to charge you with something. I got fined 85 bucks because my bed wasn't made in the bunk and the DOT man bitched because he didn't know how long ago it was that I last went to sleep. I told him that info is written down in the log book. But he popped me with a fine anyway.

Good thing I showed him the "right" log book LMAO.