Thumb sizing

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
B7510 with loader and BH4672 backhoe, JD400 industrial Backhoe, B6100.
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
Not really new here, been stealing good advice for years but just realized I wasn’t a member when I thought I’d ask a question after lot of searching without success.

Question is, what is the preferred length of a thumb for a backhoe? Should it be equal length with the tip of the teeth, when the bucket is at 90deg or a different position?

I have a 4672 on my 7510 tractor and am going to purchase a weld on thumb, The bucket is 24” from pin to tip of the tooth so I’m guessing a 24” would protrude a couple inches when the bucket is at 90dedg since the mounting surface of the dipper is a couple inches out from the pin.

Probably get the Titan mechanical weld on but not sure what the correct length would be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum. It is about time you joined so that we can get to know you and get your advice from time to time.

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
Thanks for the thumb photo and the welcome.

I’m quite surprised there is no information on the correct or preferred size for a thumb though many suppliers stress the importance of getting the correct size. Any input from those who have and use them would be appreciated.

That is the same one however it is almost $20 cheaper directly from Titan and they also have free shipping (to US addresses).

palletforks.com/24-backhoe-thumb-attachment.html

You’ll have to add the www since I’m a ‘new’ member I can’t include a link.

There is a place in Sumas called Letterlock that is free to register with and they will receive packages and hold them for 30 days for $3 each or $15 per pallet making shipping much more economical. I’ve just recently signed up and used them to order parts from Rock Auto.

Regards

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I also looked at the bolt-on thumb. It seems to weigh 12lbs less, and seems just as good, but costs a little more.

I use Ship Happens in Sumas - and stock up on cheese and fill my tidy tank too.

Kind of related question - does your BH bucket have bolt on teeth? mine are weld on and worn out and I need to replace them - I ordered some from Titan but the sizing was just for the tooth, not the whole thing as I thought, so they are way too big.

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
Which bolt on thumb are you looking at? I didn't see a bolt on from Titan but it seems odd that a bolt on would be that much lighter unless it is made of considerably thinner material or is a smaller thumb.

I did notice that their 'DIY' 24" thumb is a different design and about 10lbs heavier. Looks like the difference is mainly in the mounting bracket as they both say they are 1/2" plate which is obviously referring to the thumb only.

Does anyone have experience with either of these, do they stand up?

Regards

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
Ah, now I see it. That is a 16" thumb which explains the lower weight. I had considered a bolt on 24" but since it's a pretty small operation already I don't want to add more weight than strictly necessary limiting what I can lift so I will get a weld on.

Not sure what size bucket you have on your hoe but it seems to me a 16" thumb is way too small for my bucket which is 24" from pin to tooth. I don't know how to properly size the thumb however, which was the reason for starting this thread.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I sized my thumb with a 4-pound mallet...index finger a little, too.:eek:

Couldn't resist...now back to your regularly scheduled program....and welcome to OTT! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
I was wondering how long it would take for a picture of a thumb to show up. Did the same thing last August... Almost grown out now.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was wondering how long it would take for a picture of a thumb to show up.

Chilliwack - best of luck..mine should be back by March..did it July or August...
Sorry for the detour...meant with good humor...[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I think measuring from pin to tooth gives you the size you would need. I was liking the bolt on option, and thought I might extend the thumb by welding on a little material to suit my bucket.