Three Point Hydrailics...Nothing

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I happened across an great deal on a land pride back blade and had the ingenious idea that I would remove the backhoe and use the bucket and back blade for winter snow removal chores with my L345DT.

I took the backhoe off and much to my disappointment the three point hitch hydraulics didn't work at all. I can manally lift up the arms and they will simply sink back down to the bottom. When I think about this it is not really surprising because you are not to use the three point hydraulics while the backhoe is on, and consequently, the three point hydraulics have not been used in many years.

So, my questions are, am I missing something like a switch to engage the three point hydraulics (I see in later models had some sort of switch to engage/disengage hydraulics). Next question is how much of a project is it to rebuild the three point hydraulic setup. Frankly, I am fried from the complete engine rebuild project turning into such a Herculean project (see "Looking up to see the bottom" thread) that I am not over eager to bust into the rear hydraulics.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
not familiar with your setup - however, since the BH uses the rear hydraulics, the piping of the 3 point is bypassed when HOE is used.....

Did you reconnect the hydraulic from BH back to tractor? Again - if wrong about the hook ups, my bad!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I dont think you have a needed 3 pt hydraulic repair but something not correct with the hydraulics removed with the backhoe. You need a schematic of the hydraulic circuit. Perhaps if there are two lines just sitting attached to the tractor which go no where they need to be connected to somewhere.
Tractor hydraulic circuits often employ power beyond features and hydraulic pressure is like a daisy chain. For example, on my M7040 the FEL loader gets the hydraulic pressure first then through a power beyond port flows to the 3pt. The 3 pt has its own relief valve but if the FEL relief valve is set too low then it will bleed off the pressure just running and not using the FEL before the pressure even gets to the 3 pt.
Dave M7040

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
The backhoe kubota B4672 has it's own hydraulic tank and pump that runs off the pto. Therefore the three point hydraulics and the BH hydraulics are separate beasts.

Same with the 1720 loader that has a pump that runs off the front pto shaft output.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have you turned the knob for the speed control under the seat?
Turned all the way closed, to the right, it shuts off the three point control.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The knob under the seat is a speed-control/stop valve for downward motion of the hitch. It doesn't affect raising. It can control the drop rate or can hold the 3-point at fixed height.

How many levers do you have on the right side of the seat? If there are two, one is for position, the other is for draft. Check that the position feedback rod (left side) is intact and adjusted. The draft control can also affect position if out of adjustment.

There are some other possibilities to check out short of taking it apart. Some of these tractors had aux remote valves under the left side of the seat, and some have a hydraulic block there. Does yours look like the pdf?

Last edited:

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
My setup looks like rbargeron's pictures. The images on the two lever slots assemblies are really faded and hard to make out. but with the lever nearest the driver all the way up (draft) and the lever farthest away from the driver at the bottom. When I lift the lever farthest away from the driver, lo and behold, it now works.

However, before saw the pictures I turned the speed knob to slow. I had previously turned the knob both ways and it was currently set at F.

The good news is today the three point lift worked. I don't want to do much with it until I get the custom head gasket installed because i really should retorque the head if I'm going to run it much. Unfortunately, the L345DT has a small hydraulic tank right above the rocker cover and to get to the head one must first drain the tank and remove the fittings that go to the power steering/pump before the rocker cover can be removed. Lets just say not much thinking went into putting the tank in this location and leave it at that. Therefore, I think I'll just wait and do the new head gasket first.

Thanks a lot for the responses and your help!