This is my 3pt ballast..............

David N

Equipment
M7060
Jan 6, 2024
MN
I never liked boxes or big hunks 'o crete hanging off the back of the tractor..........made myself something a bit more useful.

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3854.JPG

I've always had a trailer mover/log arm off the back. With this new orange rig I was gonna make one outa 4" sq tube when I had me an idear. Make it outa 4" sq solid. :eek:Gives me best of both worlds, a useful implement and close to 550 lbs for extra traction.😎

IMG_3873.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have a source of 8by8 ,1/4 wall tubing, 6' lengths. Thought about making them into am upside down 'T', 4' wide, 2 ' tall, fill with concrete ? Steel alone probably 200+ pounds ??

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I never liked boxes or big hunks 'o crete hanging off the back of the tractor..........made myself something a bit more useful.

View attachment 126639
View attachment 126640
View attachment 126641

I've always had a trailer mover/log arm off the back. With this new orange rig I was gonna make one outa 4" sq tube when I had me an idear. Make it outa 4" sq solid. :eek:Gives me best of both worlds, a useful implement and close to 550 lbs for extra traction.😎

View attachment 126642
Looks great! Very solid! Very functional!👍

I’d probably have to use both hands to lift that up and set on the QH 😉.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

View attachment 126639
View attachment 126640
View attachment 126641

View attachment 126642
Nice work!
Since you are working with solid material, do you do anything to get welds which involve the complete cross section of the steel pieces?
I am not a welder but have been watching this Australian fixing a big bulldozer blade and am amazed at the tricks he uses to do the repairs
Bulldozer
Dave

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That SWEET!!!!

Do you have an industrial shop or something? Edit: Dumb question......

I could not imagine trying to cut those things. Especially the angled pieces.

It makes that that 2 inch receiver look like a little toy.

Nice job man! (y)

Oh and welcome

Edit #2 : What is the purpose of that rear piece with the 2 oblong holes in it? Is it for some sort of "specialty trailer" or something?

Last edited:

David N

Equipment
M7060
Jan 6, 2024
MN
Nice work!
Since you are working with solid material, do you do anything to get welds which involve the complete cross section of the steel pieces?
I am not a welder but have been watching this Australian fixing a big bulldozer blade and am amazed at the tricks he uses to do the repairs
Bulldozer
Dave
Fit up was just some 3/8 bevels and laying down some nice beads with 7100 ultra 045 wire. Nuttin fancy.

David N

Equipment
M7060
Jan 6, 2024
MN
Edit #2 : What is the purpose of that rear piece with the 2 oblong holes in it? Is it for some sort of "specialty trailer" or something?
I move lots of logs, skidding whole trees actually. Lower the 3pt and I run my choker chain 'round the log, through one of those oblong holes and hook it on one of those hooks on the sides.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I move lots of logs, skidding whole trees actually. Lower the 3pt and I run my choker chain 'round the log, through one of those oblong holes and hook it on one of those hooks on the sides.
David
I make this comment because I worry too much.
If your log pulling is placing loads on your tractor above the level of the draw bar you may run the risk of the tractor flipping over backwards if a log snags on a stump.
Would "wheelie bars" be a possible addition?
Dave

David N

Equipment
M7060
Jan 6, 2024
MN
David
I make this comment because I worry too much.
If your log pulling is placing loads on your tractor above the level of the draw bar you may run the risk of the tractor flipping over backwards if a log snags on a stump.
Would "wheelie bars" be a possible addition?
Dave
Not even remotely worried. Grew up on a farm .......I've been logging and operating heavy equipment all of my life. Cranes and overhead lifting..........you have an innate knowledge of how equipment can handle certain situations..............you just don't place yourself into a position that can result in catastrophe.

Reactions: 1 user

David N

Equipment
M7060
Jan 6, 2024
MN
Since the pin location is at the lowest point, you have to pick the unit up to mount it on the tractor... Are you planning to make legs or have a separate "landing" or holding mount to be able to utilize your quick hitch receiver?
Yeah, I need to make a stand for it..........I placed it on the quick hitch with the forklift.

David N

Equipment
M7060
Jan 6, 2024
MN
I don't think it was solid! Be hell to cut! JMO! Like to see a picture prior to welding the pieces up!
Cuts like butter if'n you have the right equipment..........I routinely saw 5-6-7"Ø material...............

FYI..............4" SQ stock weighs around 54.4 lbs/ft.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Nicely done! I sure could use one of these to haul logs with!