This doesn't describe us.....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Seems to me like we try to blame food instead of our sedentary lifestyle.

I can't remember the last time I use a axe other then breaking ice, but I have a chain saw, an impact wrench, electric hay bale forks, grain auger, fence post auger, four wheeler, table saw, nail gun, electric drills, dremel tools, grinders, wire stretchers, garage door opener, front end loader, and a hundred other cheats.

I'm not against modernization, and you can look at me and tells."

A friend emailed it, I don't know if he originated it, probably so.

Central Joe

Equipment
B7100 Grading Blade Disc Roto Tiller Scarifer Rake 48" Finish Mower
Mar 26, 2015
South Carolina
I agree, that's why I started woodworking with hand tools. Hand saw, screwdriver, eggbeater drill and brace and bit. Been looking at flea market for usable tools or ones that can be refurbished, good walk also. I retired in Sept. and it keeps me moving, this is why I am doing it. Now all I need is a shop, spring project with hand tools. joe

bywaterdustin2

Oct 10, 2016
Teulon, Manitoba, Canada
I cut wood with a chain saw but split with axe. I still feed small square hay bales and hand load truck drive home hand stack them and hand feed every day in winter (use tractor for round bales on far pasture) I do not have post auger so I still use hand auger and shovel and sledge hammer. I do this for two reasons one I like the work and excersize and two I can't afford to do it any other away. Hahaha

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I probably resemble the original post :eek: Love my food and tools :rolleyes: But, during the day at work, I average walking 10 miles. Climbing up and down on pieces of equipment I'm working on. Stacking hoses, lifting heavy parts ect..... Jobs really physical and can be pretty repetitive. So when I can use a power tool to make it easier and to cut down on aches and pains, I'm all for it.

Winter time I'm filling the wood rack on the back porch every other day. I use a wheel barrow to bring the wood from the fence where it's stacked to the porch. About 50 feet distance with usually 3 or 4 trips back and forth. Granted this is after walking 10 miles at work and all the other stuff. I get a really good work out though when there is snow or mud when pushing the wheel barrow :rolleyes:

Summer, it's yard work. Weed eating around 60 trees between the front and back yards, push mowing both sides of the ditch out front. About 170 feet. Mulching and weeding flower beds. Cutting down trees for neighbors and family. Restocking my wood pile. I use a wood splitter, but get plenty of exercise loading and unloading the wood from my trailer and Stacking it :D
Plus I tend to do odd jobs for the elderly neighbors. Stuff they can't handle anymore. Oh, and for them I work for baked goods :cool:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Shocks struts front brake pads rotors and a service. Had to get it done early so my parts supplier could do afternoon deliveries. Had to turn off heat in shop as i was working up a pretty good sweat. Climbing crawling and stretching. Was a good day, thankful for my air tools and hoist. And coffee.

Spent rest of day exercising brain-troubleshooting an overfueling F150.
End of day, i am done.

Last edited:

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
"Seems to me like we try to blame food instead of our sedentary lifestyle.

I can't remember the last time I use a axe other then breaking ice, but I have a chain saw, an impact wrench, electric hay bale forks, grain auger, fence post auger, four wheeler, table saw, nail gun, electric drills, dremel tools, grinders, wire stretchers, garage door opener, front end loader, and a hundred other cheats.

I'm not against modernization, and you can look at me and tells."

A friend emailed it, I don't know if he originated it, probably so.

That is a good quote.
I wear an old wind up Rolex that I bought long long ago. It's a self winder.
In my 30s, I never touched it except to change the end of the month dates and daylight savings time.(tower climber)
In my 40s, I had to wind it occasionally every month or three depending upon what I was doing. (Tower builder foreman)
In my 50s now, I use it as one of those Fitbit heart monitor things that my wife buys. If it stops or loses time(which it seems to do weekly), I know I need to get off my butt and go for a walk or do something!
Darn thing keeps stopping more frequently it seems though! (Now a construction manager)
Lenny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lenny, sounds like soon you'll be at the "top of the ladder". Only thing you'll have to do is move the ladder and watch others, but then your watch won't work at all!:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I walk 2 1/2 -5 miles at least every other day, and we now have a BowFlex Max Trainer- this thing is brutal. I try for 3-4 days per week on it , but our schedule is very unsettled right now. (family medical & other problems)
In addition, I'm always repairing or building something, or walking to 1 1/2 mile round trip to the local Ace. When I go to my place in the woods, I get even more exercise, and I can still out work all my neighbors with a shovel, chainsaw, or axe. But I'm in no where near the shape I was in as a young man playing semi-pro soccer. Aging isn't for the timid.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
How did the old timers like my Grandfather, who was a carpenter/mason, do everything by hand and never complain about carpal tunnel?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
How did the old timers like my Grandfather, who was a carpenter/mason, do everything by hand and never complain about carpal tunnel?
Whiskey.
Carpal tunnel,one of my so called ilnesses. Elbows knees and everything that moves. When i left the shop that pushed work through pretty fast i could barely hold up my impact wrench. Has since all but disappeared.

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Everything in moderation they say, and they're right. 42 years old here and accumulating more 'things' that I 'need' (and hopefully some knowledge along the way as well hah!). Tools, equipment, and the corresponding work to go with them.

But doesn't it all make us more efficient? I like to think so. Sure I can shovel my driveway by hand and get great exercise and burn tons of calories. But if I use my snowblower I can be done in 30 mins, then spend the next 3 hours playing with the kids in the snow. Sure I can use a few wire brushes to scrape down the rusty iron railings on the front porch. But I can zip them down to bare metal with the angle grinder and have them painted and sealed in time to push the kids on the swing.

Everything in moderation. Food, exercise, life. :D