Theft Prevention

KDJohnson

Equipment
L2501HST with loader
Apr 4, 2023
Wharton, TX
Just joined this forum today so this is my first thread. I purchased my first Kubota last week.

What is everyone doing for theft prevention? I’m thinking about installing a Ravelco on my tractor. I know they work well, but at $500 not sure if I want to spend that right now.

Thank you for your input.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was watching a "Cops" show recently and they went to a residence because it was determined a piece of construction equipment was in the garage. Turns out it was a large air compressor and owned by a rental yard in NY City and this was in New Jersey (I think). The rental company uses LoJack on all the equipment.

The home owner let the officers in voluntarily so they didn't need to wait for a search warrant. The home owner purchased it for $500 and had it in the front of a garage that also had a skid steer in there. During the show they pushed the air compressor out (had a wheel on the tongue) and removed it.

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
The problem with electronic system interrupters are that they require modification to your equipment's wiring. This modification presents two problems: (1) you now have another point(s) of failure within the electrical system (each connection is a potential problem) and (2) you may have voided your warranty (is your Kubota dealer or a third party going to install it?).

Additionally unlike a car, thieves are not going to drive your tractor away; they will have brought a trailer or wrecker. They may be equipped to winch your tractor onto the trailer or wrecker. Better thieves often steal cars with a wrecker to avoid having to defeat any system and actually draw less attention.

I keep my Kubota at our property about 250 miles away from home. I rely on: cellular games cameras that send me notifications/photos of any activity (Sheriff's Office is 10 minutes away and the relatives are all around), chains on the tractor and attachments (just slowing a thief down), Kryptonite NY chain lock holding the loader down on the ground via the front axle (hard to move/load with the loader down - more time for the crook) and a locked gate on the driveway (most important).

I have done what I can; insurance will take care of the rest.

Reactions: 2 users

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
We live at the end of a private road. 2 actually. At the front of the road, the neighbor parks all his kubotas out front of his property. I just stick a chain on mine with a decent padlock, make sure the implements are angled in a way that makes it “harder” to access the tractor. Everyone is armed out our way and most have personal ranges. I figure if anyone’s tractor is going to get nicked it’s the guy at the front of the road first. I intentionally make my tractor look like it’s more of a hassle to nick than my neighbors!

I guess my point is, before cutting into any wires, evaluate your own personal property security to determine if it’s really necessary? And I have the ktec (?) insurance that came with the payment booklet. I think you’ll find most won’t lowjack their tractor until it gets real pricy - perhaps commercial grade.

We all need to sleep at night and depending on your personal situation, that $500 might = great nights sleep.

And Welcome!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh wait I forgot my best tractor protection method.
GET A WOLF!

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I went to that Ravelco website and saw that what they sell is no more than a SPST switch that goes in series with the fuelpump power feed, for $500 MINIMUM... You could go to Radio Shack and pay $10 for the same method of security, or online at Amazon. Or ,spend a whopping $20 and have it totally invisible.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
There are a ton of ways to disable the unit so it won't start. Switches, relays, fuel valves.... easy enough to install. Cheap too. None of them are going to "void your warranty". However, a claim CAN be denied if the widget you added caused the failure directly.
That said, no one is going to drive off into the sunset with your tractor. It'll be on a truck. And when they can't get it started, they will figure it out.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I went to that Ravelco website and saw that what they sell is no more than a SPST switch that goes in series with the fuelpump power feed, for $500 MINIMUM... You could go to Radio Shack and pay $10 for the same method of security, or online at Amazon. Or ,spend a whopping $20 and have it totally invisible.
I doubt if you can even FIND a “Radio Shack” with a “Geek” that really knows anything about electricity like they used to have. Last time we had a local store (about ten years ago) I asked the kid where they kept Diodes.

He gave me a blank stare.

He knew all-about I-phones and X-boxes.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
true, but it's a 'reference', as most everyone knows that they were.......
Had I said 'lafeyette' or 'digikey',not many would know'.
BTW, current prices for similar connectors is less than $7 CDN for the panel mount and two 'keyfob' units, just checked online a LOT cheaper in quantity.
And.. the local dealer wants $899 to do gas car/truck, $999 for diesel.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
There are a ton of ways to disable the unit so it won't start. Switches, relays, fuel valves.... easy enough to install. Cheap too. None of them are going to "void your warranty". However, a claim CAN be denied if the widget you added caused the failure directly.
That said, no one is going to drive off into the sunset with your tractor. It'll be on a truck. And when they can't get it started, they will figure it out.
Having your warranty claim denied due to your aftermarket addition is - voiding your warranty.

Also the after market addition may make normal trouble shooting much more difficult and/or impossible (the Kubota shop may require extensive documentation or simply refuse to service it due to the modifications). Will a simple kill switch provoke that kind of response - no, but an after market item that requires multiple connections within the electrical system/wiring harness might. The OP's system does not appear to be a simple switch that can be removed or by-passed (or it is not what the maker advertises it to be).

Look at it from the shop's perspective, your tractor will not crank, and you have (or a third party has) extensively modified the electrical system/harness. How long do the shop's tech have to spend figuring out how the modification works and how much extra testing is required? Who pays for those hours?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Having your warranty claim denied due to your aftermarket addition is - voiding your warranty.

Also the after market addition may make normal trouble shooting much more difficult and/or impossible (the Kubota shop may require extensive documentation or simply refuse to service it due to the modifications). Will a simple kill switch provoke that kind of response - no, but an after market item that requires multiple connections within the electrical system/wiring harness might. The OP's system does not appear to be a simple switch that can be removed or by-passed (or it is not what the maker advertises it to be).

Look at it from the shop's perspective, your tractor will not crank, and you have (or a third party has) extensively modified the electrical system/harness. How long do the shop's tech have to spend figuring out how the modification works and how much extra testing is required? Who pays for those hours?
No. Voiding a warranty means that the machine is no longer under warranty. Denying a warranty claim is different.
Let's use your example, and assume that the unit was taken in and the owner did not tell them about the device. Or, what should have been done, disconnect the device before taking it in. That's not always possible if the skill level isn't there.
Tractor won't start. Tech troubleshoots for hours and has to bypass/ disconnect the device. Ultimate result is that the starter is failed. Starter replaced under warranty, additional troubleshooting time is billed to the owner. Easy peasy. Not rocket surgery.
Been there with my truck. It's tuned and has a small lift. The shop knows this but I always remind them. When the trans input seal started leaking they didn't say "well you tuned the truck". They fixed the leak. When the panhard (track) bar ball joint had play, they said "lower joint is aftermarket. We can replace the upper one but you need to bring us the lower one".

KDJohnson

Equipment
L2501HST with loader
Apr 4, 2023
Wharton, TX
Out of sight, out of mind is the best prevention. Don't be the low hanging fruit.

Keep your stuff you want to keep in a closed, locked garage. Use insurance.
At the moment I don’t have that option. I’m 6 months from starting to build a new house and barn. As of right now I’m keeping the tractor at my dads house behind his house.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
KD...
if you're allowed, build the barn first or the garage , to allow for secured,dry storage.
we have draconion laws here that won't allow it....

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
No. Voiding a warranty means that the machine is no longer under warranty. Denying a warranty claim is different.
Let's use your example, and assume that the unit was taken in and the owner did not tell them about the device. Or, what should have been done, disconnect the device before taking it in. That's not always possible if the skill level isn't there.
Tractor won't start. Tech troubleshoots for hours and has to bypass/ disconnect the device. Ultimate result is that the starter is failed. Starter replaced under warranty, additional troubleshooting time is billed to the owner. Easy peasy. Not rocket surgery.
Been there with my truck. It's tuned and has a small lift. The shop knows this but I always remind them. When the trans input seal started leaking they didn't say "well you tuned the truck". They fixed the leak. When the panhard (track) bar ball joint had play, they said "lower joint is aftermarket. We can replace the upper one but you need to bring us the lower one".
No - voiding your warranty means that your warranty claim is denied; it does not necessarily mean that all warranty coverage is lost.

The more extensive the modification, the more likely you are to lose more warranty coverage. If you or a third party make extensive changes to the tractor's electrical system, you risk losing warranty coverage to the electrical system.

Example, you or a third party makes extensive changes to the wiring harness. Later your ECU experiences a catastrophic failure. The shop might find the source of the problem (not your modification), and you would be covered under warranty. Or - the shop may not find any particular cause, and they will conclude some sort of transient power fried it. The modification or a mistake during its installation could be the cause of the problem. Will they cover it under warranty? It is not so easy.

As to your tuned truck, it is unlikely that they would cover any engine problems that could arise from the tune under warranty.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, and I’ll give another example: I bought a new P/U and installed an additional camera which operates on a bluetooth frequency.

After a month‘s ownership the battery was dead after a weeklong vacation…returning to the airport the P/U battery was dead…would not start. Jumped it and it recharged the battery just fine.

Another period of a week sitting somewhere, it occurred again. I took it to the dealer and complained the battery was not holding a charge more than a few days.

They discovered the “hot” wire I used to install the aftermarket camera was the source of the battery-drain. How..?? Any stray bluetooth equipment (airport security cameras, nearby vehicles or cell phones operating on bluetooth) was “waking up” my camera and draining the battery.

The Dealer disconnected it from the “hot” wire source I’d selected to power the camera (an auxilliary cigarette-plug) and re-connected it to a source which was only “hot” when the key was inserted into the ignition. Problem solved…. but cost me $350 troubleshooting/re-wiring labor. My fault completely….therefore no “warranty” coverage.
However, other warranty items were always covered for the entire warranty period. (bad computer 2 months later, and speedometer/cruise-control errors requiring new instrument cluster.)

Sooo…..just because I’d altered the OEM wiring didn’t by-itself void the warranty…. it only did not cover an electrical-drain caused by my improper installation. They (honestly) never made any effort to claim my aftermarket installation alteration of the electrical-system caused subsequent electrical issues with the instrument cluster.

Last edited: