The things you find in your game camera

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
Set one up at the end of the field, mainly to see if deer are getting into the garden. Have seen deer, lots of rabbits, opossums and now He's a big boy

It is not uncommon for me to run out there in the middle of the night when I here it storming to cover up portions of the garden.

Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Not a game camera, but a few feet outside the kitchen window, shot thru the screen:

IMG_0019 4.11.40 PM.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not a game camera, but a few feet outside the kitchen window, shot thru the screen:

View attachment 65459

Bill - -

Oh my....so cool. 7x6, is that how they count the elk?

They're such big animals. How much does he weigh? 5-600?

There for water?

Just watch for it when it gets into the rut. Looks like it's coming in the next couple weeks/month. Velvet now, but it's coming.

After mcmxi posted about cooking an elk roast last weekend, my first thought to your picture was "I'll bet that tastes good"..... :cool:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yup, 13 point. This bad boy probably went 1000+lbs on the hoof.
That stump is 22-24", and is 48" tall, and that water tub is 35 gals.
He drank half of it, and then his little brother (maybe 2/3 his size, 10 point) came in and drank most of what was left.
This was shot a few years ago, during the worst drought year the area has seen, very little water in the forest, and it is unusual for them to come this close to people/buildings. He and his brother came in once or twice a day for the week we were there, just to drink.
My neighbor puts a 25lb block of seed out for the birds on my property (so he can watch birds & squirrels from his living room window) and these two elk found it. My wife and I brought out lawn chairs and watched from 18-20yds away while they ate the whole thing, in maybe 30-45 minutes.
I love my place in the high country.

Reactions: 3 users

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
Set one up at the end of the field, mainly to see if deer are getting into the garden. Have seen deer, lots of rabbits, opossums and now He's a big boy

It is not uncommon for me to run out there in the middle of the night when I here it storming to cover up portions of the garden.
Springer - Very cool, but I'd definitely think twice before running out in the dark knowing that big ol' furball is out there!

Lil Foot - pretty convenient that elk has a dark spot right where a heart shot would go!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yup, 13 point. This bad boy probably went 1000+lbs on the hoof.
That stump is 22-24", and is 48" tall, and that water tub is 35 gals.
Holy smokes....such a large animal.

Your references to the stump and tub give some scale.

We have a couple farmers locally with a few elk. Also have a Fallow Deer farmer.

Only seen the the Elk from a distance, laying down. Racks were impressive from afar...but the whole critter up close is something else! (y)