TG1860 diesel.. No power to ignition switch

davidon

Dec 8, 2015
laytonsville
Disconnected ignition switch from harness. Measured voltage from red wire on harness side to neg battery terminal and get no voltage. Is there anything that can interupt the connection?

davidon

Dec 8, 2015
laytonsville
Fuses are good. There is volts to starter (heavy wire) but no voltage TO fuse (wait... main fuse is by itself near starter or clustered with 2 other fuses near ignition switch?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The so called "Slo Blow" fuse is located all by itself near the starter.

On the starter is the heavy battery cable but also a heavy red wire which feeds the ignition switch and all other circuits.
See fuse location in wiring harness:

forum TG1860 slo blow.jpg

Slow Blow fuses are different colors depending upon rated amps.
slow blow fuse color code.jpg

Not certain the color of yours but a guess would be Green.

Dave

p.s. Confirmed your fuse is Green. Part Number T1060-30520 @ $9.18

davidon

Dec 8, 2015
laytonsville
OK guys it IS the slow blow fuse that is bad. Thanks. Got an unrelated issue that I could also use help on...When mower was working I really had to crank the starter for like 20 seconds before engine would start to turn over. Bought a new starter and problem is still there. I'm thinking fuel related (dirty fuel filter?) Once warmed up, I can turn engine off and it will start back up immediately.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Davidon

Are you running the glow plugs for ~10 seconds prior to cranking?
Even on a warm summers day, my TG1860 won't start without either glowplugs
or - having the engine still warm.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I really had to crank the starter for like 20 seconds before engine would start to turn over.

No.

If you had the starter cranking the engine was turning over. "Turning over" means exactly that - the engine turns over. The crankshaft goes round and round and the pistons go up and down.

It does not mean "starting" or "firing".

When the starter motor engages and spins the engine, the engine is turning over.

Reactions: 3 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
OK guys it IS the slow blow fuse that is bad. Thanks. Got an unrelated issue that I could also use help on...When mower was working I really had to crank the starter for like 20 seconds before engine would start to turn over. Bought a new starter and problem is still there. I'm thinking fuel related (dirty fuel filter?) Once warmed up, I can turn engine off and it will start back up immediately.
Do you know why the Slow Blow fuse blew?
There has to be a reason...............
Dave

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Do you know why the Slow Blow fuse blew?
There has to be a reason...............
Dave
Usually, Dave, but sometimes.... Sometimes they just get old and tired (can anyone relate?), and they fail without there being any fault in the circuit.

If the new fuse fails in a short time (anything less than years), it's definitely time to look for a cause.

Reactions: 1 user