Tension pulley

John Lash

Equipment
B2100, B2650
Nov 23, 2017
Elizabeth, Pa.
Replacing the MMM belt on a B2650. I can't figure out the tension pulley spring. What's the best way to get the new belt back on the tension spring?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My advice relates to mower decks in general and not specifically to the 2650.

Leave the belt off an outer deck pulley but around the tension pulley.

Depending upon your hand/arm strength, pull the belt until it is just starting to engage with the outer pulley. Now rotate the blades and the belt will roll up unto the last pulley.

If you need to use a tool such as a big screwdriver and lever the belt unto the pulley. Again, just get the belt started and rotate the blades.

The benefit of this strategy is that you are working on an outer pulley which is easier to get to and also not dealing with the pivoting movement of the tension pulley.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you can get the belt onto everything but one pulley…. simply ”bumping” the starter will roll a. v-belt onto that last pulley.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you can get the belt onto everything but one pulley…. simply ”bumping” the starter will roll a. v-belt onto that last pulley.
A question for you..........

Can you rotate the mower deck belt by bumping the starter or will the many safety sensors block the starter if a pto is engaged?

Never tried it hence my question.

Dave

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sorry Dave…I wasn’t very clear…. I was referring to engine driven V-belts.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
A hundred years ago, when I was in a HVAC service truck, I went to a Browning power transmission products seminar, they told us never roll a belt over a sheave cuz it damages the cords and showed us examples and all that. So I never did after that even though I was tempted to. some things kinda stick with you.
I used a porta power to push the idler pulley on my deck when I changed the belt. The spring is awful heavy. That 2 row belt is too expensive to treat it bad.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
A hundred years ago, when I was in a HVAC service truck, I went to a Browning power transmission products seminar, they told us never roll a belt over a sheave cuz it damages the cords and showed us examples and all that. So I never did after that even though I was tempted to. some things kinda stick with you.
I used a porta power to push the idler pulley on my deck when I changed the belt. The spring is awful heavy. That 2 row belt is too expensive to treat it bad.
That’s one reason spring-loaded tensioners are good…they flex and allow the belt to be installed without damage.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
take an old wire coat hanger. Make a loop at each end and wind the tag end around so that when you put pressure on it while pulling the spring, it won't come off. I don't have a pic--wish I did. Now that you have a loop on each end of the hanger, put the belt around all the pulleys and leave the spring off of the anchor point. Now put the loop of your hanger on the spring hook, then put a screwdriver thru the other loop and yank.

another option use of a piece of cable to make a spring puller tool. I have both. Hangers are cheap and available so if it ends up that I can't get the hanger off of the spring hook, I just cut the hanger off and make another one in about 30 seconds' time. Big deal.

If you don't have a lot of physical strength it's going to be tough no matter which way you do it; that double vee belt needs a good bit of tension and the tensioner spring is pretty stout.

I highly suggest not using engine power to roll a belt on. I watched a guy do it once and the belt came off and flopped around until it took out a radiator hose. It could have been worse. On this deal, the belt was special ordered, takes about a week to get it, this was on a Friday, so his equipment was stuck in the field for another week. Do it right and save yourself a headache.