Tbn

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Havent tested it. I buy from the truck stop most of the time. They have a separate nozzle for the non ethanol. I don't trust it from the ones that have low test, mid, then high test non ethanol on the same nozzle. Seems to me there would be some cross contamination from what's in the hose. I do know, the stuff in the mower lasted over 6 months with no stabilizer and no issues. The stuff labeled to have ethanol would give me fits after 3 months in my small engines.
I bought some gasoline in 1994 from the Circle K station near my home at the time, and stored it for 19 years before I used it. I did not add anything to the barrel and when I finally used that gasoline it did not have any contamination or deterioration at all. In 1994, almost all gasoline sold in my area was non-ethanol. I used it in my Harley and it ran without any problems at all.

Non-ethanol gasoline will not deteriorate at all during storage. You do not have to add a stabilizer to it at all. The only thing that you have to concern yourself with is condensation if it is stored in a barrel that breathes. Water will accumulate at the bottom of the barrel if the barrel is allowed to breathe.

There is another possible issue if you store gasoline in a metal barrel. That is, heat and cooling expansion of the barrel. If the barrel is stored in a temperature controlled area that stays nearly constant, you will have no problems storing it for long periods of time. I stored my gasoline in a barn that did not vary by more than 10 degrees or so all year long. That is the only reason that I was able to store it for almost 20 years.

The fact is that ethanol stored in the same way that I stored that barrel of non-ethanol will not deteriorate ether. The only difference is that if air did somehow get into the barrel water will form and the alcohol will absorb it and the ethanol gasoline will be spoiled. With non-ethanol, any water will settle to the bottom of the barrel and the gasoline above the water will still be good as new.

There is a lot more to this story than what I have told but suffice it to say that after more than 20 years of working with POL that Ihave told you the very basics of gasoline storage. As a disclaimer, I have not mentioned anything about safety, that is another subject area that I will not address. So, take what I have written for whatever it is worth to you and do whatever you think is right. Please do not make any disparaging comments on my choices or the information that I have presented. I know that there will be strong opinions about this subject but I ask that you present differing opinions in a respectful manner. Thanks!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Joe, I'm curious, why did you store it for 19 years? My answer would be "I forgot I had it!":D
We used to have frequent power outages for extended periods of time and it was for my generator. I actually had two barrels of fuel. One that was sealed and one that was always in use being refilled as I used it. The one that was in use all the time would be refilled as soon as it got empty. Now that we live in an area that has a more stable power supply I don't really worry about keeping more than 50 gallons of gasoline and diesel on hand.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
A local station has a pump for "Race Gas" at $7.50 a gallon. Its high octane, non ethanol and I use it for engines that don't get used often, and refilling my 2-stroke mix cans. It comes with stabilizer but I add a little more.

Not cheap but cheaper than doing eleventeen carb overhauls a year.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Ray, looking at this link it looks like you don't have a lot of choices for getting non-ethanol in your area. That is unfortunate. If you use enough of it to matter, maybe you could contact a supplier and have a quantity delivered to you for a decent price. We have a supplier about 34 miles from me that will deliver if you buy in bulk such as filling a farm fuel tank. Anyway, here is the link to finding pure gasoline in your area.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AZ

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I have a friend at the local airport and I may try to tank up a little from his pumps. I have heard they frown on carting off fuel for "other uses" but, this place is pretty secluded.