Talk to me like I'm stupid

GataDOh

Oct 27, 2018
Dothan, Al
What's the difference between a L4701 and MX4800 besides the obvious difference in horsepower. Im looking for a tractor around this hp range to use on my property. I will be doing a lot of grapple work (thanks hurricane michael) and planting food plots.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What's the difference between a L4701 and MX4800 besides the obvious difference in horsepower. Im looking for a tractor around this hp range to use on my property. I will be doing a lot of grapple work (thanks hurricane michael) and planting food plots.
Well.......

looking at the engines..........almost the exact same, M has a smidge more HP
M weighs a smidge more too.

M can pick up a load (FEL) a little higher......

M is a little longer.

Both have syncho and HST tranny options.

M's FEL is more powerful with breakout and lift

They seem to almost be the same tractor - what does the M cost over the L?

GataDOh

Oct 27, 2018
Dothan, Al
Well.......

looking at the engines..........almost the exact same, M has a smidge more HP
M weighs a smidge more too.

M can pick up a load (FEL) a little higher......

M is a little longer.

Both have syncho and HST tranny options.

M's FEL is more powerful with breakout and lift

They seem to almost be the same tractor - what does the M cost over the L?
base for mx 27271 base for L 26609 with 4wd and HST

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The MX has a good bit more FEL lift capacity. The MX was designed to be a second farm utility tractor that is a bit more compact around the in yards. Moving hay bales around, pushing silage, moving some dirt, etc. So it needs the extra weight and FEL lift for these tasks. I would get the MX, as the $ difference is small. This is unless you find some feature on the L4701 that makes it better. Is the L4701 cat 1 or 2? The MX is cat 1/2 meaning cat 2 eyes with cat1 bushings. That I also like as it is flexible.

Update: L4701 is cat 1. MX4800 is cat1/2 as expected. OP with the cat2 you can get into heavier implements if needed, but you can still use cat 1 if needed. Just keep some spare bushings around, they are easy to loose!

Last edited:

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I think the mx has a little chunkier rear axle, cat 2 3point, different FEL, & probably a little less fancy dash panel. Still close to the same machine was my understanding when looking at the mx vs the L4701. Both similarly priced

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I was just in your shoes last year. I went from looking at a L4701 to purchasing a MX5800. The front and rear axles are much heavier duty than the L4701. The MX is cat 2 and offers 3 point extendable lower link arms to make hooking up to an implement a breeze. The overall width is 6-8 inches wider giving more stability. The FEL has more lifting capacities. For the price you mentioned you will have a stronger tractor with the MX series.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
The MX is a frame size larger - and all that goes with that - more weight (and weight means it can do more). Heavier duty everything. More capacity.

Flip side is it's heavier (need bigger trailer to move it, may damage lawn more), bigger (won't fit in small spaces like a smaller tractor), takes bigger implements (do more work in less time BUT they cost more and take up more room to store, and don't fit where smaller ones do).

I believe you can get an MMM for an L but not an M, you can always get a rear finish mower but it sucks to mow along fence lines that way.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Also always good to think about turning radius if you are moving up in tractor sizes. In this case L4701 is 8.5 ft and MX is 8.5 ft. I am not seeing much reason to go with the L. Have you driven/demoed them both? Please do that before you decide!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The MX is is more of an ag utility tractor and besides being Cat2, it has draft control not position control and I think, comes with one remote standard with up to 2 more additional (stackable) with flow control. You need the remotes for field work (food plots). Kubota's draft control works very well, I have it on both my M's.

The MX has a stouter frame, larger (as in heavier) axles and drivetrain. I'd get the non hydro model. Problem with any hydrostat is, it robs engine power and PTO power and creates lots of heat in sustained operation. A gear drive is much more efficient.

Hands down, the MX is the better deal. Not sure about how you can option it, but I'd get a hydraulic shuttle if possible (no dry clutch, hydraulic wet pack clutch) or at least a synchro-shuttle if the hydraulic shuttle is not an option.

The MX is a baby farm tractor. The L is an overgrown lawn tractor.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
My MX doesn’t have draft control nor did it come with any remotes. They were options and I didn’t have a need for them. The 2 bigger mx the 5200 & 5800 are hst only I think or at least the 5800 is. I like that myself. Supposedly gives me 50 pto hp. Very happy with the one I got. My search b4 I got a tractor started with me looking at a bx model. The 4701 and my mx5800 looked very close to the same animal when I first walked through the dealers lot. My decision maker was the higher hp of the mx and the cat 2 or cat 1 with bushings options for implements that I may wanna use in the future. Good luck, buy once cry once. Either one would do what u want it too I’d bet.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Flipper, in a single post you have managed to disparage 90+ percent of the OTT membership.

The L series is a VERY capable compact tractor and your "oversized lawn tractor" remark is out of bounds. Since many members possess a class of tractor below the L, not sure how you would label that equipment?

The two tractors noted by the OP, the 4800 and 4701 are almost identical in size and capacity. The L is slightly lighter and the CAT 2 MX has about the same lift capacity as the L.

I own an MX. It is not a "baby farm tractor" per your label. It is, as Kubota correctly classifies, the largest of the compact series. It is NOT intended as an Ag machine, baby or otherwise !!.

You are a farmer w/ larger Ag tractors who seems to turn his nose upward at every machine under 100 hp . I too grow hay, but my avatar does not reflect the equipment used in my horse hay operation. Why? Because most of these folks are just property owners of parcels larger that a postage stamp who utilize their tractor to maintain and improve their property. Rarely note anyone earning their living w/ their tractor. You have used the term "hobbyist" under negative light in other posts. Do you post simply to demean?

There is an audience on that other site, about which you seem an "expert", where the forum is wholly about hay farming operations.

The other stuff like std draft control and included remotes is totally inaccuracte.

The point of the forum should be assisting the OP in a quest for verified product information. Sarcastic remarks about the size or misinformation concerning the specifications is of NO benefit to anyone.

Last edited:

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Flipper, in a single post you have managed to disparage 90 percent of the OTT membership.

The L series is a VERY capable compact tractor and your "oversized lawn tractor" remark is out of bounds. Since many members possess a class of tractor below the L, not sure how you would label that equipment?

The two tractors noted by the OP, the 4800 and 4701 are almost identical in size and capacity. The L is slightly lighter and the CAT 2 MX has about the same lift capacity as the L.

I own an MX. It is not a "baby farm tractor" per your label. It is, as Kubota correctly classifies, the largest of the compact series. It is NOT intended as an Ag machine, baby or otherwise.

You are a farmer w/ larger Ag tractors who seems to turn his nose upward at every machine under 100 hp . I too grow hay, but my avatar does not reflect the equipment used in my horse hay operation. Why? Because most of these folks are just property owners of parcels larger that a postage stamp who utilize their tractor to maintain and improve their property. Rarely note anyone earning their living w/ their tractor. You are critical of The HST, yet that is a most ideal feature for a vast majority of OTT members !!

There is an audience on that other site, about which you seem an "expert", where the forum is wholly about hay farming operations.

The other stuff like std draft control and included remotes is totally inaccuracte. Remotes are "expensive" to some, $600+ each ,excluding labor is noticeable. Also top and tilt requires two, a minor point!!!

The point of the forum should be assisting the OP in a quest for verified product information. Sarcastic remarks about the size or misinformation concerning the specifications is of NO benefit to anyone.

EDIT: Flip you make my point below, everything is about you and your farming operation and equipment. !!
This site focus is on the compact owner and his property improvement tasks. Not racing from hither and to w/ a hay rake in tow, you just don't seem in sync w/ the audience. BTW, most of us DO buy their/our tractors right off the lot, what does that say about us ???? And the fastrac reference, really, seriously????

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My MX doesn’t have draft control nor did it come with any remotes. They were options and I didn’t have a need for them. The 2 bigger mx the 5200 & 5800 are hst only I think or at least the 5800 is. I like that myself. Supposedly gives me 50 pto hp. Very happy with the one I got. My search b4 I got a tractor started with me looking at a bx model. The 4701 and my mx5800 looked very close to the same animal when I first walked through the dealers lot. My decision maker was the higher hp of the mx and the cat 2 or cat 1 with bushings options for implements that I may wanna use in the future. Good luck, buy once cry once. Either one would do what u want it too I’d bet.
I checked the specs on the MX and you are correct. Remotes are optional but not expensive and can be added at a later date. Draft is also optional and not expensive either.

When I buy a tractor, I look down the road at resale so I option them out always and remotes come in very handy, especially for rear mounted implements. If you want a top and tilt, at least one remote is necessary. Remotes and draft are dealer installed options.

Far as HST is concerned, the big MX comes with old style (non electronic HST standard but I think (not sure) that you can order a synchro shuttle box in the big one.

As a rule I never take an on lot tractor. I order them they way I want them.

You guys have me looking at them as a third tractor for hay raking and local to the farm chores. The MX would be a dandy rake tractor for my Miller Pro rotary rake.

But again, I would never get an HST because of the power efficiency issue and the generated heat.

My other issue with the MX is ground speed. It's not 'quick'. I need maximum ground speed to get from field to field as my fields aren't adjacent to the farm so I'm out on the hardtop between fields and 14 mph top speed it high range at rated RPM isn't much. MY current tractors will both do 23 mph in high (16th gear) at rated RPM.

Actually considered a FasTrack at one point just for the ground speed.

Checking Fast Line and Machinery Pete, I see there are some very good asking prices on used MX's.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
majorwager;309301[B said:
]Flipper, in a single post you have managed to disparage 90 percent of the OTT membership. [/B]

I own an MX. It is not a "baby farm tractor" per your label. It is, as Kubota correctly classifies, the largest of the compact series. It is NOT intended as an Ag machine.

You are a farmer w/ larger Ag tractors who seems to turn his nose upward at every machine under 100 hp . I too grow hay, but my avatar does not reflect the equipment used in my horse hay operation. Why? Because most of these folks are just property owners of parcels larger that a postage stamp who utilize their tractor to maintain and improve their property. Rarely note anyone earning their living w/ their tractor.

The other stuff like std draft control and included remotes is totally inaccuracte.

The point of the forum should be assisting the OP in a quest for verified product information. Sarcastic remarks about the size of misinformation concerning the specifications is of NO benefit to anyone.
Not intentionally trying to disparage anyone. In fact I owned 2 L series tractors in the past, a L 3020 open station and a Grand L 5030 cab tractor so I'm very experienced in what they can do and their shortcomings.

Neither are what I consider at utility tractor. Both are homeowner units and both are limited when it comes to ground engaging implements, especially of the 3 point variety.

The MX series on the other hand is a light ag utility tractor, capable of serious ground engaging capabilities (when equipped with the correct tires R1's not R5's). Of course you cannot put a mid mount mower on one but then I have a zero turn to mow with anyway and equipped with a front loader it's a much more capable unit than any L series would ever hope to be.

Like I said, been there and owned them in the past. I know what they can do and what they cannot do efficiently.

Probably should have kept my first Kubota, a B7100 HST 4wd. Nice little lawn mowing unit with a small FEL that I abused constantly.

Not trying intentionally to demean anyone, just stating the capabilities of the units.

Have to go out to the barn and get my tractors out. I need to top off the fuel tanks and add some power service to both. One never knows when they might be needed to pull out a stuck vehicle or plow out the road. Not that I want to really. Gave that up when I retired.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Easy does it guys. Rule of thumb for me with one recent exception when teasing someone didn't work out, is to take a post for its positive pieces of information. It is probably nicer not to disparage whole classes of tractors especially after someone has one, but even my L3560 which is way bigger than my Ford 8N which in its day was a farm tractor, is pretty small compared to the neighbor's 6 or 8 wheeled behemoths. It's all relative. :)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
SidecarFlip;309304 Have to go out to the barn and get my tractors out. I need to top off the fuel tanks and add some power service to both. One never knows when they might be needed to pull out a stuck vehicle or plow out the road. Not that I want to really. Gave that up when I retired.[/QUOTE said:
Good move, I need to do likewise. Just looked at Dec long range forecast for MI and colder than ave, and colder than previously expected. El Nino is dragging its feet. Might get a spot of slightly warmer next week, but I think we can kiss off the idea of an Indian summer here..
Too bad I wanted to rinse some of the mud off and less fun at these temps.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Flipper, in a single post you have managed to disparage 90 percent of the OTT membership.

I own an MX. It is not a "baby farm tractor" per your label. It is, as Kubota correctly classifies, the largest of the compact series. It is NOT intended as an Ag machine, baby or otherwise.

You are a farmer w/ larger Ag tractors who seems to turn his nose upward at every machine under 100 hp . I too grow hay, but my avatar does not reflect the equipment used in my horse hay operation. Why? Because most of these folks are just property owners of parcels larger that a postage stamp who utilize their tractor to maintain and improve their property. Rarely note anyone earning their living w/ their tractor. You are critical of The HST, yet that is a most ideal feature for a vast majority of OTT members !!

The other stuff like std draft control and included remotes is totally inaccuracte. Remotes are "expensive" to some, $600+ each ,excluding labor is noticeable. Also top and tilt requires two, a minor point!!!

EDIT: Flip you make my point below, everything is about you and your farming operation and equipment. !!
This site focus is on the compact owner and his property improvement tasks. Not racing from hither and to w/ a hay rake in tow, you just don't seem in sync w/ the audience. BTW, most of us DO buy their/our tractors right off the lot, what does that say about us ???? And the fastrac reference, really, seriously????
Ok I am way out of line here, and all I can do is express my opinion, but OTT does not as far as I know have a focus on anything but orange tractors. No size limits. We are short on people running the big Ms so I find the information on haying interesting. And for many of us all we can do is bring our personal experience to the table. I appreciate when someone explains where they are coming from. It is like putting in the references in a journal article. What we don't usually do is attack someone for their approach. Correct information if needed, but don't attack.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
Almost everyone responds based on their own experience. I can be an example - I've used 'lawn and garden' tractors since I was 8 years old.

There are mass market mowers that look like tractors. sheet metal, belt drive, cheap and disposable.

the next up is the 'garden tractor' - better overall for pushing snow, blowing, tilling. Few have hydraulics although that is moving down market, so to speak, now. The can be $6-9k in price.

SCUT is same size as above but built like a real tractor - often diesel, loader, 3pt, etc. Just tiny. Think BX, deere 1023/1025, etc
CUT - same, only bigger. the B and L. I have a house with 2 acres and the B is fine, an L can be a tad large and unweildy.

Hobby farmers...maybe for market farming, horse owners, etc. Most folks don't rack up a lot of hours - ever - on these machines.

Next up would be the grand L, M series - for bigger acreage, maybe you can do hay in a small scale.

Bigger ones I'm not sure - as now you're getting large and powerful, but not so much you can truly plow acreage or do hay. Maybe these are for 'real farmers' that need to move hay wagon, need a loader that they won't have on their 100hp ag tractor, for spraying fields, etc. I've got 25 acre horse farm and this would feel like a bull in a china shop there. Nice if you have to plow the acreage, but moving between fences, barn, trees, etc not so much fun.

What I chose is obviiously the BEST CHOICE - for me, anyway. I (or anyone here) cna really only give advice based on their own experience, decisions, knowledge. Some take that and come across as theirs is the only way to do it.

I've seen it in towing forums - few folks get to tow the same trailer with multiple trucks, or use different types of hitches, etc. So 'this works for me - it will work for you' is the common thing you read - yet the limited experience means little. Liek the reviews on amazon "just opened the box it's GREAT!"...use it and get back to me, ok?

this is hwere the opinon of professionals (including salesman) should have mroe weight. I'm a photographer and DJ by trade - used lots of different gear and can tell you the good/bad and what works for what, what works on a budget, etc. A party for 25 people is very different from a school dance for 400 or a wedding for 200.

Not to mention personal preference comes into play as well as the realties of money!

The horse farm went from the girlfriends Huskee (an mtd made TSC branded lawn and garden tractor) to a kubota L175 - a big step up, but showed us what we really wanted - so the Kioti CK3510 (loader is nice) - like an L33/37, RK37, etc. Budget was a factor - both in the tractor and cost of implements. We need a mower..have a zero turn - GREAT at the house..not so great at the farm. A BX or MAYBE a B would be the ticket. Or a small deere...or MF..or??

Have to do a lot of research on the smaller SCUT's to know what is a 'tractor' and what is a glorified sheetmetal moneypit. At least the zero turn is cheap and easy to maintain.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Majorwager, you address Sidecarflip saying he made disparaging comments to members of OTT. Yet in your reprimand you say, "Because most of these folks are just property owners of parcels larger that a postage stamp ..."

Is there much difference in what you say he said and what you said? I think we all see various things from different perspectives and probably neither of you were purposefully putting anyone down.

I have a variety of tractors, size and manufactures. I enjoy the variety of comments, yours included. How about we focus on something else so we can continue to be a forum different from most others!

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Since both models are somewhat identical, can your dealer allow you to demo both?

I see pros and cons to both models, but only you know your actual needs. I realize this is a shot in the dark, but debris cleanup and food plot work may call for the smaller tractor. Heck you may even be able to get away with a smaller L.