Takeuchi TB125 Log splitter

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Its been a dream of mine to make log splitting fun and easy...and also something I could do as I got older or if my back went out (again). I feel I have achieved success! I have gotten smooth and quick enough with it that I can split about a cord of wood in less than an hour, closer to a half hour. This is all without breaking a sweat and the machine sipping about 0.7 gal/hr.

Sure it isn't a firewood processor, but for portability, ease of use, and cost...this setup is pretty sweet IMO. Total investment for excavator, splitter and repairs/fabrication have been less than $8000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxVz-CZZxxs

The setup is a 2002 Takeuchi TB125 excavator, wain roy quick attach coupler on the boom, quick disconnects on the thumb/splitter, and an inverted 4way log splitter. I rigged the splitting wedge so it "floats" and adjusts to various sized logs. The hyd relief for the thumb/splitter should be somewhere around the 3000psi that the machine operates at.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
that thar is a hoot !!!!

what cha need is some type of rolling surface and a partner - they roll in down the line you pick it up - split it and then spin around to get next piece

nicely done

Billdog350

Equipment
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Hokie, there are definitely ways to speed this up even more, but I've been working as a 1 man operation while my 4 girls and wife enjoy paddling around in the pool....but they also stack the wood so I can't complain!

I have gotten it down to three times to get off the machine to process a standing tree. Once to drop the tree with the chainsaw, then I pick up the tree with the thumb and jump off the machine to buck it up with the chainsaw again and swap the bucket and splitter. Then last step is to split it and throw it in a pile.

Pretty efficient...but you're right if someone was stacking the logs it would speed up the process even more.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have to say, that is a great idea. I like that. Sent video to my buddy to see, hes trying to build a processor. Might be a better approach.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That is neat!!

Impossible to tell from in front of my computer, but would it be easier to operate with a longer push-plate on the hydraulic cylinder?

It might make it more difficult with smaller diameter pieces...

That is really cool!!:cool::cool:

Billdog350

Equipment
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
RCW, the push plate is a bit small, but I made the 4 way wedge so it "floats" on the splitting end of the unit, so it will adjust to different heights and thus different size logs. I tried welding a larger pushplate on my wheeled horizontal splitter and it bent the 1/2" plate like nothing. It also puts additional stress on the I beam and can bend it (I can show you pics of my bent I beam on my horizontal unit).

In all honesty, anything smaller than your thigh is easier split with a maul/axe or normal wheeled horizontal splitter. I use this to get the BIG oaks and black birch (24" or greater) split up so they're easier to move around. I was sick of breaking my back trying to lift logs that are 100+ lbs.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ah, now I see what a larger one could do! The floating wedge is a really ingenious adaptation!
We had a large wedge and push plate on our homemade splitter many years ago, but had a 10" H beam to accommodate the stress. That wouldn't be an option in your application. Great job!!! A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk