Synthetic 5w40 vrs Dino 10w30 in Kubota M5700

jcansler

Feb 6, 2011
Texas
I am wanting to switch from using rotella T5 10w30 to Shell Rotella Synthetic T6 5W-40 Motor Oil.

My manual calls for 10w30 or 30w for my area (mostly hot and humid, lows in the 30 degree range)

Is there any problem or issue using the Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil in my tractor?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thank you...

Joe

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I switched several years ago. No problem using it year round. Starts much easier in the winter.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am wanting to switch from using rotella T5 10w30 to Shell Rotella Synthetic T6 5W-40 Motor Oil.

My manual calls for 10w30 or 30w for my area (mostly hot and humid, lows in the 30 degree range)

Is there any problem or issue using the Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil in my tractor?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thank you...

Joe

Not trying to be ugly.....you would be a fool not TO SWITCH! Despite what the book says, the print is there as to what the MINIMUM lubrication properties should be!

AND despite pissing off those who feel that synthetic is a waste of money:D, I would switch to it as soon as you could. THERE is no reason to argue that it is not worth the cost, the "best" dyno oil is up there near $15 a gallon, the "better" synthetic oil is $25 a gallon - and it simply does a better job....period. AND on top of all that, IT WILL last longer, it will not break down nearly as fast. IT pours better in cold, it lubricates better due to the molecule structure..........

In your neck of the woods, it aint gonna get down to the those numbers where you spit and ice hits the ground, but even at 30 F - the 5 w will pour and flow better than a 30 w

jcansler

Feb 6, 2011
Texas
Thank you Dwarner and 85Hokie for your suggestions and comments.

I will change to the T6 synthetic in my M5700 tractor and ZD28f mower.

I am thankful there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum who will take the time answer and educate others with their issues...

Thank You...

Joe

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Since you don't see very cold temps you probably won't gain much of a advantage in the winter (cold starts) but I believe the summer will be a different story. In the heat a good synthetic oil will keep your engine running cooler and give you all around better protection. I've been using synthetic for over 20 years and would never think about going back to regular oil. Fuel savings alone will more than pay for the additional cost.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Since you don't see very cold temps you probably won't gain much of a advantage in the winter (cold starts) but I believe the summer will be a different story. In the heat a good synthetic oil will keep your engine running cooler and give you all around better protection. I've been using synthetic for over 20 years and would never think about going back to regular oil. Fuel savings alone will more than pay for the additional cost.
Can I get an AMEN from the pulpit?

Been using synthetic for almost 30 - aint going back to dyno oil, unless the motor burns it faster than it wears out!:D

AMEN!:D:)

jcansler

Feb 6, 2011
Texas
Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

I already run synthetics in my trucks and I will change my diesel run equipment to the rotella 5w40 synthetic because it is easy to get in my area.

I believe OTT is the best tractor forum and has some very knowledgeable people participating in resolving issues for anyone with a problem.

Thank you...

Joe

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I bought a used 2011 B3200 that from what records I have, was serviced by the dealer with 10W-30 Kubota oil. It now has 105 hours on it. Is it okay to switch to a full synthetic like T6 5W-40? I'll use my tractor ask year around from 0° - 100° F. Are there any issues with T6 5W-40 in these temps?

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
This subject has been done ad infinitum in other forums. To the point where there are different grades of syn oil talked about. The new thing is CJ-4 is apparently being superceded and will not be backwards compatible.

If you want to run syn change your filters more often and use oil analysis to monitor/justify your longer change interval.

OrangeM5700

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2016
Shelburne Falls, MA
Backwards compatibility

The low-viscosity FA-4 formulations reduce friction in the engine and have the potential to improve fuel economy of on-highway trucks. The FA-4 oils will not be backward compatible with engines older than the 2016-2017 year models, although some manufacturers may allow them for older engines if their tests can show sufficient protection and performance with the low viscosity formulations.

CK-4 oils will be backwards compatible with all trucks and off-road equipment that use the current CJ-4 oils. The off-road engine manufacturers have said they need the high-temperature, high shear (HT/HS) capabilities of the CK-4 formulations to help protect their engines in the high-heat, high-load conditions typical in off-road applications, says Dan Arcy, global OEM technical manager for Shell