Swapped My Loaded R14 Tires For Unloaded R3s

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Holy crap what a difference!

I bought my BX with ballasted (beet juice) R14? tires. They tore up my lawn more than I expected, so I picked up a set of unballasted R3 (turf) tires to swap out (mistyped, I meant R3, not R4).
I swapped them out today before playing with my new buckets from CRI.
The tractor rides significantly different now. It's noticeably bouncier and more responsive. And of course nicer on my lawn.
I don't know how much is due to different sidewalls, and how much due to the lack of ballast.

The most interesting thing to me however was when I went to roll the ballasted tires into the garage. Obviously much heavier than the empty ones. But the amount of added resistance the sloshing liquid gave to movement was incredible. There's no momentum buildup. Every bit of movement is like starting from a stop.
I can see how they would add strain to the transmission.

The loaded tires are definitely staying in the garage unless I really need them. Handy to have, but not sure if they're worth the $800 they cost me (ballast plus new wheels/tires). Especially with the backhoe.
I may rescind this once I try to use the turf tires in mud though.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Holy crap what a difference!

I bought my BX with ballasted (beet juice) R14? tires. They tore up my lawn more than I expected, so I picked up a set of unballasted R4 (turf) tires to swap out.
I swapped them out today before playing with my new buckets from CRI.
The tractor rides significantly different now. It's noticeably bouncier and more responsive. And of course nicer on my lawn.
I don't know how much is due to different sidewalls, and how much due to the lack of ballast.

The most interesting thing to me however was when I went to roll the ballasted tires into the garage. Obviously much heavier than the empty ones. But the amount of added resistance the sloshing liquid gave to movement was incredible. There's no momentum buildup. Every bit of movement is like starting from a stop.
I can see how they would add strain to the transmission.

The loaded tires are definitely staying in the garage unless I really need them. Handy to have, but not sure if they're worth the $800 they cost me (ballast plus new wheels/tires). Especially with the backhoe.
I may rescind this once I try to use the turf tires in mud though.
Also, don’t max out your loader with turf tires.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
R4 are industrial tread,

R4:

1711623924432.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My BX23S came with those R4s and I've been happy,though I'll soon be on my 3rd set for fronts in 1160 hrs, as 1/4-1/3rd of my travels are on paved roads.
BTW...Bad idea to have ballasted tires with BH onboard,even the manual says 'no' to that.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My BX23S came with those R4s and I've been happy,though I'll soon be on my 3rd set for fronts in 1160 hrs, as 1/4-1/3rd of my travels are on paved roads.
BTW...Bad idea to have ballasted tires with BH onboard,even the manual says 'no' to that.
I have had rear tires filled with Rim Guard on my original BX22 and now my BX23S and have never had one problem with my tractors. I need the ballast for plowing, and it also gives me extra traction when using dirt-engaging equipment. I have been using turf tires forever with ballast, and I just got a set of R4 tires that I am going to be adding ballast to.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, sounds like you take your BH off !!!!
In 5+ years, I haven't been able to, neighbours keep finding me neat,fun jobs to do....
To do all the 'dirt'y work, I have a D-14 with 3F plow,subsoiler, blade, cults and 5' tiller....
keep thinking I 'need' a 42-48" tiller for the BX23S though...

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I wasn't aware of that when I first bought. Once I read the manual and found that information I posted about it here.
I believe the consensus at that point was too much weight for the ROPS.

I was just amazed at the rolling resistance due to fluid movement.
There's definitely value in the ballast in certain circumstances, but after rolling those tires it's easy to see (feel) the added stress they put on the transmission. Most likely hurting fuel economy too.

I have had rear tires filled with Rim Guard on my original BX22 and now my BX23S and have never had one problem with my tractors. I need the ballast for plowing, and it also gives me extra traction when using dirt-engaging equipment. I have been using turf tires forever with ballast, and I just got a set of R4 tires that I am going to be adding ballast to.
Ballast definitely has it's uses. I just think it's important to be aware of all considerations.

My yard is roughly 2/3 grass/buildings/pavement and 1/3 dirt/excavation area.
I'll be going from the extreme of ballasted dirt tires to unloaded turf tires. I'm interested to see the difference when I start digging.
I addition to the obvious traction improvement from weight, I'm guessing the ballast helps slow a free spinning wheel as well, due to that rolling resistance.