Suggestion on Tractor Security

PJr.

Oct 15, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
I am buying a new Kubota Grand L5460HSTC tractor that I will be storing under a pole barn on my acreage property. It is surrounded by large acreage farm and hunting tracts with only one house located a mile or so away.

I asked my dealer if he new of a way to install some type of non-obvious "kill" switch that would prevent the tractor from starting. He suggested removing a particular fuse under the hood. My mechanic said it's not good for the particular type fuse to be removed/installed numerous times.

Anyone have a better idea to easily secure my tractor.
I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
There are several ideas here - easy to place a remote switch inline, they even make em with the keyfob type gizmo.

https://www.amazon.com/Logisys-RM02-15AMP-Remote-Controls/dp/B00EQB8O7K

Then again - IF the person didnt get it started - could it be "rolled" away? Many safe guard the starting and the possible "rolling away" - I would imagine on that machine - rolling might not be a problem!:eek::)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Turn the fuel shut off on the filter, it might run for a few moment but then it will die.

Covering a nice shinny brand new tractor with an old tarp makes it a lot less obvious and attractive.

The simple things like one big chain and a big lock through a rim, will slow down most quick crooks. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would contact the closest neighbor and ask to store the tractor at their farm. Roading a tractor one mile is not a big chore.

With some of the characters running our country sides now whether their looking for drug money, a place to stay, or just cause grief....I'd have a hard time sleeping at night leaving that kind of investment to those folks!

They might take up residence in your cab!!:mad:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I sleep with an insurance agent and I hated insurance for years ,put as the years have rolled by she has softened me and I hate insurance less now as whatever I have is insured now for theft and damage and any add on I've added. Mine sits with the keys in it. I'm covered if stolen or not.

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Removing the main fuse would work ok. There is no load on it, and you can remove and insert it many times with no issues.
The safest protection may be to simply remove the battery, and bring it back when you want to use it. Or, remove one of the battery cables totally, carry it with you.
Not familiar with that model, but if there is a starter solenoid, you could remove a cable leading to that.
Finally, if there is a fuel pump, you could disconnect the wire feeding the fuel pump - no way it would start then (or install a hidden switch to the fuel pump)

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If someone sees it and wants it, they will come and get it and winch it onto a trailer and take it away. Hidden GPS tracker so it can be found again.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
PLUS full insurance to at least get something back if it all goes pear shaped!

CurtisC

Equipment
B26TLB
Sep 12, 2011
Elk Park, NC
Not sure how your hood release is configured but I used to disconnect one cable at the battery and remove the hood release pull rod before closing the hood on my B26. It would take me a couple minutes of trial and error to coax the pull rod back into its hole when I came back but it kept potential thieves from being able to start the tractor and out of the engine compartment. The downside here is pretty obvious so I'd verify your skill at reconnecting the rod to the release arm with hood up before trying.

user4211

Mar 23, 2016
Crawfordsville,In
That's what insurance is for. As far as a tracker goes, why would you want it back? I'm sure the thieves didn't service it and detail it for you. Go with KTAC.

2006 rtv900 6250hrs, 2015 bx2370-1 110hrs

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Insure it... forget about it...

It seems like when you're prepared it'll all be for nothing in the end.

Besides tractor insurance is downright cheap. I have 6 pieces of equipment on my farm policy and they average out about $55/yr each.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I use Goldstar tracking. The small unit is $150.00. The first 3 years service are free and about $30.00 per year after that. The units are small easy to conceal and very easy to install. They also work quite well. They help me keep track of where my equipment is. When people don't return on time, I go to them. They are amazed.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
All great ideas. Myself, if there is a naer-do-well-er in the vicinity the tractor is either gone or destroyed. Not a chance i would ever take. Back on trailer and it would come home with me. That is if neighbour is unwilling to allow parking it for a small fee, be it less than insurance.

The large heavy gate across access to property, posted no trespassing and video surveillance signs do deter some, but others look at it as just a challenge.