Stupid question time

blank102

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Feb 2, 2015
Mexifornia
I want to disconnect my tiller. But I can't get the PTO shield to slide back so I can get to the connection. How do I get it to slide back?:confused:

Old Kubota man

Equipment
B3300, Woods chipper, Woods brush hog
Mar 8, 2015
Alfred, ME
2 things have to be done. First there should be a small screw near the base of the part of the shield that goes over the ujoint. Once this is removed the plastic shield can be rotated to allow a notch and tab to line up so that the shield can be slid down.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you're talking about the pto shaft plastic guard it doesn't slide back if properly installed. Some of them are a real PIA to work with. You just have to reach in there and push the button or pull the collar back (depends on which type you have) and take it loose.

Sometimes it helps to unhook the 3pt and pull forward a few inches just to gain a little extra room to get at the tractor. Worst case, pull away from the tiller until the shaft comes apart Then you can lean it to the side to gain access to unhook. If you have to do it that way if it was mine I would modify the shield so it doesn't need to be done that way again. Hope this helps. :D

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I've had a similar issue, do as the others have suggested. I will disconnect and pull away from the tiller, pulling the shaft apart, to give yourself more room to work. Mine is tight and difficult to get into if I dont. One thing to keep in mind, make sure you use the stand that holds the tiller up. Mine has fallen on my foot because i did not think to secure it. Luckily the ground was soft at the time and I wasnt injured to bad.

Good luck.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Once you get the shaft apart, its also a good idea, to separate the 2 halves, and lube up the metal male shaft with a coat of never seize compound, and store it separate from the female half. That way it don't end up stuck together, particularly if it is stored in the outdoors, or an open air barn, rust happens...:D