Stupid Fence

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I was doing a search of three point hitch mounted fire fighting systems when I ran across this thread. It is an old thread, on a different forum, with nothing to do with fire fighting. the search engine pulled it up as it has the words "fire" and "fighting" in it. I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read it.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=79288&highlight=fire+fighting

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I almost died while reading this. I ended up reading this in 4 shifts to avoid the same fate as the poster. My Wifey-Poo was very close to calling 9-1-1 due to my inability to breathe. Now that was a BAD day.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm not to sure about that one, the dude who posted it said a little further down that he got it in an email. Seems to me the rubber soles on your shoes would insulate you from shock between the mower and the fence wire...

I dont see how the lawn mower running would amp up the electricity from the spark plug. Doesn't add up...

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon
OMG! Seen this before, but still funny, woke up my lab from laughing so hard, too bad she can't read. Great way to end the month. Thanks for posting.

Dick

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah well if think it cant happen try takin a leak on one,,,, Dont ask

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
That sounds made up but good God is that funny! Just when I thought he was done he mentions turning on the TV, I about pissed myself!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I still laugh till I hurt everythime I get the visual in my head. I bet a few parts of the story are true but reguardless it's well told and almost believable.

I didn't think I could break dance until I grabbed the wire on my 50 mi. charger one day, fat man had some moves for a few seconds. I got in my daily exercise and a new hair style all in one visit.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
As a pre-teen & teen, I mowed lawns for a living, and could not afford to buy mowers, so I built up a stable of junkers that other people had thrown out for various problems. One was in decent shape, but would run absolutely wide open at all times.... no amount of tinkering could slow it down.... it was hell on tall grass, so I ran it that way, waiting for the inevitable "bang". It was shut down using a metal lever that was pressed over against the end of the spark plug. One day while mowing a wet lawn in a light, misting rain, the owner's beautiful, scantily clad teenage daughter came out to just to tease me. Being a horn dog, I of course decided to go hit on her. (See where this is going?)
Smiling, never taking my eyes off her ample assets, I cooly reached out with my wet tennis shoe with the large hole over the big toe to shut down the mower.... and stuck that spark plug end right through that hole in my shoe.

The world went very bright, I experienced pain like I never imagined for something approaching eternity, and woke up sometime later on the ground.
The mower was still running, I had wet myself, and the girl's mother (also gorgeous) was slapping my face trying to revive me. After a few moments i regained enough muscle control to stand & shut off the mower, reassuring the woman that I was OK. (I was not) The woman made a comment about "That stupid garden hose always soaks her when she does yard work too." I weakly finished the lawn, grabbed my gear & left, later realizing that I had failed to collect my pay. I was too embarrassed to go back, so I turned the job over to one of my competitors, who collected my fee and paid me.
The only lasting effect is that the image of the girl in that instant appears to be electrically etched into my brain, not a bad effect at all....

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
It really is true: the essence of what is truly funny is other people's suffering.

Tough break, Lil Foot.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
lol that's a good one Lil foot. I can hardly think of a nicer desktop background for my brain!

We had a minibike when I was a kid. It was an old one that we'd fixed up, it had been through a lot. Anyway we took it on vacation and I took it out to ride on these little dirt paths and back roads through the woods behind the house. As I was heading home the centrifugal clutch broke and locked solid. I was within sight of the house (and tools) but at the top of a long hill. I could've just walked it down but thought why not ride? I decided kill the spark so it wouldn't get away from me. So I used my left hand to hold down one of those metal grounding tabs Lil Foot is so familiar with! About half way down my finger slipped off and replaced the tab as the thing grounding the spark plug. This was an old magneto and points Briggs so it was only about 15-20k volts but I can still see these electric blue flashes in the memory. Somehow my right arm still worked but my left arm was locked on the plug. I rode it out till I rolled gently to a stop next to the house and then promptly fell over like a sack of potatoes wearing clothes. I later heard that I was screaming FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*C the whole way down.

Good times :)

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
request thread topic change to: man vs electron(s)

LMAO.
I submit we change the thread topic to something that more accurately reflects the nature of the suffering detailed herewithin.

"Stupid Fence", while poetic, doesn't do justice to the humanity.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Re: request thread topic change to: man vs electron(s)

I'm just going to quietly sit here and read these stories of stupid moments and not comment. If I open the can of worms with all the stupid crap I've done in my life and how I've been injured. I'd be here a month of Sundays and some of yall might die of laughter.

I couldn't live with myself if another OTTer died from laughter as a result of my stupidity.

Stan Wetmore

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, and loader and front snowblower
Jan 17, 2013
Saint John, NB Canada
An electric fencer would pulse the voltage to the line in order to not make anything lock onto it. It should also be certified to not have enough current to do real damage. The grounds rods are needed to connect one lead of the fencer to earth. I don't see that the lawnmower could have any affect on increasing the voltage that he was getting.

In my opinion this was just an amusing story. He might have gotten a shock but not as drastic as he explains. When we use to drive the ground rods in they were only about 3 feet long as it was hard work, so we would use more of them.

Still a funny story though.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was curious and nosy once wanting to know what an electric fence felt like. So I went a grabbed ahold of one. It was a kinda shock thats enough to piss you off but didnt knock me for a loop.

It hurt worse getting poped by a stun gun then the fence did.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Makes a big difference on what size charger you are dealing with. A charger like a 15 or 16 joule will make you hurt yourself.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
It's a hilarious story, true or not. Just what I needed tonight!

Brings back memories though! I remember getting one of the town kids to grab the fence one time. I also remenber that the old capacitor/weed burner chargers would have one good snap in them many times even after unplugged (obviously a lesson learned the hard way).