stop solenoid

esola

Equipment
l2800
Mar 17, 2021
texas
something is causing my stop solenoid to engage after my l2800 starts you can hear the click then it shuts off
i've replaced the stop solenoid, the fuel pump, ignition switch........... i'm running out of options

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A Free WSM for your model is not available.
It sounds like your tractor has an OPC (Operator Presence Controller)
When a safety switch is not happy and then you step on the HST pedal for example, it trips a timer and in seconds the engine is shut down.
A safety switch is triggering the shut down.
It is not the items you initially changed.

Seat switch, pto switch, clutch pedal switch, are some of the more common ones.

Once the engine starts are you doing anything and then the engine stops? Touch the hst pedal, engage the pto.......

Dave

esola

Equipment
l2800
Mar 17, 2021
texas
A Free WSM for your model is not available.
It sounds like your tractor has an OPC (Operator Presence Controller)
When a safety switch is not happy and then you step on the HST pedal for example, it trips a timer and in seconds the engine is shut down.
A safety switch is triggering the shut down.
It is not the items you initially changed.

Seat switch, pto switch, clutch pedal switch, are some of the more common ones.

Once the engine starts are you doing anything and then the engine stops? Touch the hst pedal, engage the pto.......

Dave
No. I can actually hear the stop solenoid click once when key is turned if I just hold the key then I hear the 2nd click. With a second or two Without even turning the engine on.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
No. I can actually hear the stop solenoid click once when key is turned if I just hold the key then I hear the 2nd click. With a second or two Without even turning the engine on.
Perhaps your solenoid does not work as I originally suggested.

Instead of the solenoid being powered to stop the engine, it may be powered to allow the engine to run.

Some have two internal coils. A pull in coil and a hold coil.
That may be what you are hearing.

Will the engine run with the solenoid disconnected?
Will it run with the solenoid removed?

Dave

Last edited:

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Gives a steady amount of clicks or actually is just 2 clicks? Just wondering because the lift pump makes those types of noises

esola

Equipment
l2800
Mar 17, 2021
texas
Gives a steady amount of clicks or actually is just 2 clicks? Just wondering because the lift pump makes those types of noises
I get the initial click when I turn the key either to the glow plugs or turn in to the on position. I hear 1 click then a second later another click. So when I start the engine at it will start but then I hear the dreaded 2nd click and it shuts off. I can acuatlly start the engine while off the tractor and put my hand on the stop solenoid and feel the 2nd click that makes it shut off. I got long arms.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I get the initial click when I turn the key either to the glow plugs or turn in to the on position. I hear 1 click then a second later another click. So when I start the engine at it will start but then I hear the dreaded 2nd click and it shuts off. I can acuatlly start the engine while off the tractor and put my hand on the stop solenoid and feel the 2nd click that makes it shut off. I got long arms.
That is the typical symptom of a tractor that has start and run coils as part of the fuel cutoff solenoid, when the run coil has failed. Does the tractor shut down immediately upon releasing the key from the start position?

esola

Equipment
l2800
Mar 17, 2021
texas
That is the typical symptom of a tractor that has start and run coils as part of the fuel cutoff solenoid, when the run coil has failed. Does the tractor shut down immediately upon releasing the key from the start position?
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. You are saying that the 2nd click is normal. I don't remember ever hearing that, but again I was not listening for it either. I've had this tractor 15 years and truly don't remember the 2nd click. Because when warming up the glow plus I know it never clicked twice until now. So frustrating.

esola

Equipment
l2800
Mar 17, 2021
texas
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. You are saying that the 2nd click is normal. I don't remember ever hearing that, but again I was not listening for it either. I've had this tractor 15 years and truly don't remember the 2nd click. Because when warming up the glow plus I know it never clicked twice until now. So frustrating.
And yes it shuts off when I let the key go. I put in a new ignition switch just in case too.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
And yes it shuts off when I let the key go. I put in a new ignition switch just in case too.
Have you checked fuse number 5 (key stop) 5 amp fuse? That symptom quoted above seems like it may be blown.

esola

Equipment
l2800
Mar 17, 2021
texas
Yes I did, how I wish it would have been that simple. All fuses look good.
I'm almost given up but I cant load it on a trailer to take it to the dealer. So I just have to keep trying different things.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
The following is a link to the Workshop manual electrical schematic page, you can view it online and also download it. The electrical section also has checks for components you might want to try. Link to WSM: CLICK HERE

esola

Equipment
l2800
Mar 17, 2021
texas
The following is a link to the Workshop manual electrical schematic page, you can view it online and also download it. The electrical section also has checks for components you might want to try. Link to WSM: CLICK HERE
Awesome thanks, I will take a look to see If I can trace some wires

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What I was trying to express is that SOME fuel cutoff solenoids that have two coils work as follows. When the key is turned to the ON position, the solenoid RUN coil is energized, but the solenoid armature does not move, so no sound should be heard.

When the key is turned to the START position, the start coil is energized and the solenoid plunger (armature) moves and you could hear a click, if your ears are better than mine.

Once the solenoid pin (plunger, armature) moves to the run position, the run coil has enough pull to hold it in the run position, until the ignition switch is moved to the OFF position.

If the RUN coil fails, then the engine will start, but the stop solenoid will return to the OFF position when the key is returned to the run position, because the run coil has failed and there is no magnetic force to hold the armature in the run position. (Same action could occur due to a blown fuse depending on tractor wiring)

So it is possible with good hearing you could hear the solenoid click when it moves into the start/run position, and again click when the key is turned back to the run position after the engine starts (as it shuts down).

I am not saying this is the set up your tractor has, because I do not know. I was just saying that what you described is what happens with some tractors that have dual coil fuel cut off solenoids (with a failed run solenoid). They start and immediately shut down when the key is returned to the run position (due to spring action within the solenoid).

Hope this makes sense... :)

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That diagram might (Since the download is from Scotland) be for a European model that MIGHT be different than what is sold in North America. Just something to keep in mind. There are differences between my North American version of a Kubota mini excavator and those sold in Europe and elsewhere.

That diagram shows a two coil solenoid, but both coils are hooked in parallel, so what I described would not be the way things work on a tractor with that electrical diagram.