RCtoywizard

Equipment
Kubota M5040
Feb 27, 2009
Groton NH
www.twwrc.homestead.com
Hello all

Thank you for your patience first off. lol
On the back end of my M5040 I have two quick disconnects.
Now these are not the 4 or 6 pack setup, just the main implement
piston out or retract.

So I unscrewed one of mine to get a set of lines made up that would plug
into these two female (huge) quick disconnects.
I took it to my local auto parts store (not like VIP or pep-boys) and they
never saw any that big. ???? only plow size.

A plow uses like 1/4" hydraulic or up to 3/8".
What size are these ? how do I measure them ? and what do I ask for or
search for when looking for quick disconnects for future applications?

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
They should be standard "ISO" connectors, same as late model JD, Case, Ag-co, Ford New Holland, Deutz etc. etc.
Any farm tractor/implement dealership should have the male couplings to snap into them, and any hydraulic hose repair shop will know exactly what you're talking about when you say you need male ISO ends. They can be put on a variety of different hose sizes.
Be careful, they come in two flavors (regarding the threaded end that will go on your hose end fitting) NPT "National Pipe Thread" and "O" ring. They look similar in thread size but are not interchangeable. RC

RCtoywizard

Equipment
Kubota M5040
Feb 27, 2009
Groton NH
www.twwrc.homestead.com
ya but my prob is my local got bought out by a company 40 miles away.
I do not like them, their service leaves a lot to be desired so I am kinda stuck
in figuring out stuff myself.
I think it will be better (cheaper) in the long-run anyway.

The fitting that was on there had an O ring too but I dont think the threads
were npt with the taper.

I do not like being at the mercy of any store / company that says we will take care of you. I want to understand what I am asking for so I know what I am
buying.
Is there a size and a type I can ask for?

I do not want to be the blond that gets the left handed screw driver bulb
filiment....ya know what I mean?

RCtoywizard

Equipment
Kubota M5040
Feb 27, 2009
Groton NH
www.twwrc.homestead.com
Ok
I learned more today... The terminology for the male end of the quick disconnect
that I need is called a "Popit Valve" or at least thats what I was told. Makes sense to me looking at the site you sent me the link to.

I also found out that it looks like I need "1/2 NPT HYD QUICK COUPLER FASTER"
or at least I think this is right.
I will prob take my female end and make the 40+ mile trip to the Tractor Supply of NH and see what they have. I was in there several years ago and they seemed pretty decent. I am getting lazy by finding what I need on the net and just ordering it. I dont dare in this case since I am not positive what size I need.
I wish my manuals gave sizes like they do the bolts.

If you learned something today then it was worth getting up.
:)

RCtoywizard

Equipment
Kubota M5040
Feb 27, 2009
Groton NH
www.twwrc.homestead.com
Just an update.
Checked out the website,,will go back again tonight but I wasnt sure I understood what style I needed.
Today I went to NH Tractor Supply in Tilton NH and MB Tractor in Tilton. Neither had what I needed. hmmmm
THey both said that there are tons of diff connectors for quick disconnects and Kubota as well as JD end up being semi proprietary.
MB made a phone call and will get info tomorrow but I thought if I had a machine almost new, then I would end up not having these probs. lol
When they find the fittings, I will end up getting extras cause when I want to add something years from now, I would prob get the same confused look when I show this to the latest "dealer" .

Still learning. ;-)

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Maybe I'm off the "mark" here ---- but it sounds like you only have one implement/cylinder to hook up. So, it doesn't really matter what quick connect you use as long as the threads fit your hoses and the two ends plug in together. You may be better off buying two new male and two new female and replacing the two that you now have on the tractor. Just a thought -----------

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
This is a fairly new tractor you have (new by my standards is anything newer than about 1990). this might be a question for SD Vic, BUT, It should have standard "ISO" or what are commonly referred to as "Pioneer" female ends. They will also be the same as "new style" John Deere. Order a "new style" JD farm tractor male end and I'll bet it snaps right in to the female coupler on your 'bota.
What are you trying to hook up anyway?

Years ago... Everybody had their own ends, JD, IH etc. That changed probably around the mid 1980's. Now about all farm tractors use the same coupler style.
RC

RCtoywizard

Equipment
Kubota M5040
Feb 27, 2009
Groton NH
www.twwrc.homestead.com
Hi guys
As far as replacing the existing quick disconnects,,, I tend to agree but thats expensive and considering that I spent a ton of $ (to me anyway) for something new, I figured I should be able to grab what ever I needed off the shelf.

On your thoughts 'KN' of It should be ISO "newer than 1990" I say I agree with a big @$$ grin.

I would have thought that when I made my 40+ mile trip south to MB Tractor (the guys that bought out my local (only 8 miles away) Kubota dealer, they would have known what I needed. I mean I thought I paid big bucks so I did not worry bout having to do searches to figure out the "simple stuff" .
I guess its not all that simple.
THis dealership is pretty dam big too. Two or three locations throughout the state of NH . Not just a small all in one tractor/wood splitter/ snow blower guy type of place either.
They are supposed to email me when they find the fittings. That was Tuesday...hmmmm

Kind of leaves me out in left field. I never was that good in baseball. lol

Sometimes the small guys are better guys. ya know what I mean?
I may start searching northward.....

KN
What I want to do is to run the angle left/right on my basic truck type of snow plow
that I have mounted to the skid-stear mount that normally is used for my set of forks.
Kind of a "third function" setup running from the back end. Minus spending over $750 for
the "third function package".
I purchase hose to run from the back end to the front end and made a mounting plate, purchased quick disconnects for standard plows (suv 4x4 type).
I may want to add a homemade "thumb" for the forks or my bucket when moving brush too.

"Bruceatlam" I agree and if this machine was 20-30 years old, I would have already made the change. Its just that she has under 400 hours on her and I just took the plastic off the seats this winter.....ok, stop laughing...and no , there is not plastic on my sofa....lol
So I am trying to use what I am supposed to be able to use. But your right,,, I may have to anyway.

Now my son just bought a $36k Mustang GT ..droooool..this old timer envies that... now he paid about the same as I paid two years ago for my baby. So why should he have to settle for after market fog-lights from Wal-Mart when he should be able to use the mounts and plugs that came with his car? (he did get the fog-lights with it...lol but you see what I mean?

When you buy old, you expect to have to jury-rig a bit and thats all part of saving money, when You buy new, you take a chance \gamble \ expect, that you should not have any probs for several years and should have great service....not.

I could just give up and buy the same thread , "O" ring type ...I think 1/2" staight thread and convert to what I can get locally but............

When I see male ends on the great links you guys sent me for $4-$12 ea... seems like a simple deal to me,,, just figure it out.

Thoughts?

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
:):):) --- Nope, no more thoughts. Understand exactly -------

Somewhere along the line, things should just get more simple. BUT, probably won't happen.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
OK.... This is pretty simple.
You've done the hard part, made the mounting plate etc, etc,. You also have the hose and the quick disconnects for the swing cyls on the blade which you've figured out are smaller than standard farm couplers. You've probably also noticed that that your hose is a size or two smaller than regular farm implement hydraulic hose. That's not a problem. Things like planter row markers etc. that don't require a high flow rate often use the smaller hose.
SO.... all you need to do is hook your hose extensions to your tractors rear remotes. No problem, just buy two MALE quick disconnects that are listed for a 2000 or newer John Deere Farm Tractor ("Pioneer"). You'll probably need a threaded adapter that goes from the threaded coupler on the small hose up to the size and thread type for your new couplers (this is just standard practice, it's what Deere and aftermarket manufacturers do on planters and grain drill applications where they also use the small hose) you just need to be sure what two thread sizes you're trying to adapt to each other.
You should end up with hoses with the small FEMALE (4X4, SUV, snow plow etc.) quick couplers on one end, and MALE new style John Deere/Pioneer ends on the other. BTW some ends use a round ball in the center, some use a little pointy/flat ended nub, don't worry as long as they are the same style coupler they interchange.

RC

Ok just to be sure I went out and checked, Pioneer series 8010-15P male couplers snap right in to my old M4500, they should work on your newer 'bota too. These are the same ends used on new John Deere farm implements (I know this because this hose came off a new 1590 JD no-till drill). BTW the 8010-15P Pioneer coupler is a female thread "O" ring style male coupler to fit 3/4 - 16 straight thread.

One more thing, don't go changing out the factory couplers on your tractor for something else. You'll just regret it later when you buy a new implement and suddenly realize that you don't have standard couplers any more and have to go through this whole process again.

Last edited:

RCtoywizard

Equipment
Kubota M5040
Feb 27, 2009
Groton NH
www.twwrc.homestead.com
oh now this is way cool.
Thank you very much. My suit o "local" dealer still has not gotten back to me on this.

I will keep ya posted,, eventually with pics.

I did end up getting all new 3/8" hose, even for the plow angeling. They were out of the smaller stuff. lol
Times are tough all over.
They were happy I paid for it all in cash and not put it on my account.
Take it as it comes, it does not last forever..enjoy the ups and weather the downs, it all evens out.
Thank you again. I will order the male ends from the links to the surplus center.