STIFF joy stick

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Hi guys,
I've an '04 L5030 with 900+ hours and the Kubota cab. My joy stick inside the cab is a remote, of course, with cables running to the hydraulic block outside.

When it is cold, the joy stick doesn't want to move, and I mean you would think the safety lock tab had been engaged! Up / down will free up first and the curl in / curl out will remain imoveable for a longer time.

On a cold start, below 20F I will plug in my block heater about an hour before I fire up the tractor. I have tried hanging a drop light on the remote block inside the cab and tenting it to capture light bulb heat.....no effect.

I've hung the drop light on the hydraulic block outside the cab and tented it to retain heat for that hour.....no effect!

I am baffled! I am running a snow blower this time of the year and raise / lower which starts working "pretty soon" lets me get going on snow removal. I just can't rotate my chute which uses the side to side "curl in / curl out" for some time.......but something happens over time....I don't know if it is cabin heat or warm hydraulic fluid flowing.....which finally frees up the side to side movement and allows me to rotate the discharge chute.

Oh, the float detent on raise / lower.....it's necessary to use float to let the full weight of the snowblower ride on and follow dips in the road and on a 0 degree day I had my up and down working but could not get into the float detent for some time.

It seems the "best" I've found so far is a hair dryer on the remote block inside the cabin. I'll sit there and run an electric hair dryer on the remote block while raising and lowering the snowblower as my engine warms up over five minutes or so. So whether it's the hair dryer or the warm(?) hydraulic fluid flowing.....eventually the float detent worked and subsequently the side to side starts freeing up. By that I mean I can finally move the joy stick sideways with a LOT of force. But, once I get any side to side movement it doesn't take long to free up completely, which has me thinking hydraulic flow has a lot to do with it.....more so than external heat from the drop light or the hair dryer.

Lots of people have to leave their tractors out in the cold...no heated garage! I can't believe everyone has this "frozen joy stick" problem.

I would really like a fix that I can do this summer....me or a service man.... does something have to be disassembled and cleaned and lubed with something to allow the joy stick to work right off on a cold start in winter?

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
My best guess would be moisture inside the cable linings. Solution depends on what type of lubrication was on the cable originally. If none I would try getting some silicone lube in there. Unless you have a heated garage it won't be fun in the winter.

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
gktilton:

Thank you! That makes sense....I tried heat at each end but not on the cables themselves.....I never thought of them being the culprits. When we get back into warmer weather I will look at disassembling the cables and clean and lube.

Now I wonder what's involved with such disassembly....hopefully I will find it straight forward!

JoeK

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
How easy would it be to disconnect the control cables at each end to isolate the problem componant ?
Start at control lever end and if lever won't move the probs there, if free reconnect and disconnect control valve end ..and so on .
If its cold enough it may just be moisture freezing it ..The hydraulic spool levers freeze on my FEL when its really cold!!

Dave

billl

Equipment
L4610
Jan 26, 2011
Little Valley,NY
I take them off and hang them in the vise in a warm place. squirt some kind of oil in one end keep doing it till it comes out the other end(may take awhile) I let it hang over night. Reinstal good till the next heavy rain. My tractor sits outside 4 degrees F this morning cables work fine. Usualy lube cables once a year when rain is done for year.

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Thanks, guys!

I'd love to take them apart....clean and lube....but I fear the adjustment factor and not knowing what I am doing. The lock nuts on the underside of the remote block inside the cab suggests "adjustment"

I can't clearly see the cable ends at the hydraulic block outside the cab...the hydraulic hoses pretty much block the view.

I wish I could get the manual or copies of pages from it to show the joystick and cables arrangement.

JoeK

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Hi Guys!
This seems so trivial compared to other problems I am reading about on this forum....my joy stick is just an aggrevation in the cold. It's not "fatal" in that it always resolves with time in operation ...... from 20 to 30 minutes usually.

Attacking the cables and possibility of moisture in the cables....there is a loop formed as the cables leave the bottom of the remote block in the cab, go out thru the floor and then loop up in front of the cab to arrive at the bottom of the hydraulics block. So a perfect water trap at the bottom of the "U". We had a couple of nice warm days and the joy stick was nice and free.....I discovered I could get the straw of the WD-40 can past the rubber boot on the joy stick in the cab. I sprayed WD liberally while working the joy stick. It is a water displacer and a lubricant so......it should help or solve the problem......NO, SIR!

It got cold again and the joy stick was as immobile as in the past! I should mention that the up down always functions better than side to side when cold. At least that lets me get started with snow blowing....I can raise and lower the blower and get into the float detent (full forward) within a couple of minutes of using it.... tho I have to hold it there for a while before it will stay in float detent by itself.

Side to side (curl in-curl out) controls chute rotation so I can live without that for the 20 -30 minutes until it comes to free up.

With the WD-40 squirted liberally into the cables from the cab end, and no effect....seems the "freeze up" is occuring in the hydraulic block itself.....?

JoeK

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Havent had one in a long time,,,,:D sucks gettin old

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Thank you, Vic!

Now that's a great, detailed step by step process to solve my stiff joy stick problem!

You didn't mention anything about adjusting on reassembly; is that just a case of taking all the "slack" out and then tighten the lock nuts?

Joe