Sticker Shock

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know I don't mind somebody makin a buck off me when I need something done. So some jagoff runs a shopping cart into the back of my NEW truck,, really up set me, not 3k on it yet grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr* SO I ran up to the dealer this morning to see what it would cost to fill the dent and paint that spot,, I was thinking a buck and a half maybe 2,,, almost 600 bucks, and yeah I have 500 deductible , Holly shyt bat man!!!
And people wonder why their car/truck/bike ins is so freeking high. Like I said I don't mind paying to get things done right but this is nothing short of rape !! I asked the dealer how can we make this deal a bit easier on the pocket book,, he said there is no way other than you go some where else, and lots of luck finding one that will do as good a job as us,, Oh and that's cheap by the way,, smug little clown.
OK rant over for a bit till next time

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
Ya know I don't mind somebody makin a buck off me when I need something done. So some jagoff runs a shopping cart into the back of my NEW truck,, really up set me, not 3k on it yet grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr* SO I ran up to the dealer this morning to see what it would cost to fill the dent and paint that spot,, I was thinking a buck and a half maybe 2,,, almost 600 bucks, and yeah I have 500 deductible , Holly shyt bat man!!!
And people wonder why their car/truck/bike ins is so freeking high. Like I said I don't mind paying to get things done right but this is nothing short of rape !! I asked the dealer how can we make this deal a bit easier on the pocket book,, he said there is no way other than you go some where else, and lots of luck finding one that will do as good a job as us,, Oh and that's cheap by the way,, smug little clown.
OK rant over for a bit till next time
I agree, there are some places that will charge and over charge anything they can because you know what, most people will pay it and not bat an eye at the price.

Do shop around, you will find prices all over the board. When the wife needed work done on her car after getting rear ended we had the original estimate done by a well known national chain. But they couldn't do the work for 2 - 3 months due to a "back log" of work. Found a locally owned repair shop, and they laughed at the quote. They said labor and parts were inflated due to it being an insurance claim. We went with them and you can't tell what was original paint and was is new paint on her car.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Skeets, it's all over the place now days :mad: price out a set of bearings between a dealer, and bearing supplier like Fleck Bearing. Using the local guys name for example. Bearing price from a Woods dealer was $55. Bearing price through Fleck was $20. Dealer has a 250 percent mark-up on the same exact bearing :eek:

That's why I always tell people to price a bearing supplier for lip seals and bearings before buying from a dealer for any implements and farm equipment.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Sounds like it a work truck now. Go throw a load of fire wood in it and use it like a truck.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Is there a X-A-Dent anywhere close to you?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Paint damage or is it just a dent? Just a dent can be 'spooned out' pretty cheaply br the 'invisible dent repair' guys. They do a lot of dealer work, fixing dings on new cars. If a car has to be painted or bondo'd, thy have to tell the customer, if it can be spooned, it is not considered a repair. These guys are mobile. As I said, if the paint is undamaged, give them a call and they will let you know when they are near and can swing by.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
If you use your insurance expect an increase in your insurance rates.
I used to get large rebates from usaa but had a spot repaired on my
windshield. Bad mistake, my rebates went away even though the dude
doing the patch assured me it wouldn't. He talked to my insurance
company and wouldn't let me, he said the insurance company will
always try to talk you out of it to save them money.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My son in law owns an independent auto body shop and is the equal to any of the big names in my area and could work twenty-four hours a day and never get caught up. Body work is truly outrageous at most places.

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
I know it hurts with a new truck. I got a few good dents in my last new truck when it only 2 months old. I never did fix them and when I traded it in the guy that gave me a trade price didn't even notice or didn't care.

As soon as you fix one dent, you'll just get another.

My wife's new car (one year old now) has about ten door dents in it from parking where she works and the store.

I miss the heavy steel cars were once made of. I had a 1950 Plymouth Woody when I was 16. It broke down one day and gave me a hard time. Got made and hit the front fender with a ball peen hammer then thought oh shit I dented my car. No I didn't, couldn't even see it.

Rubber shopping carts is the answer.:D

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
Find a local, small time family owned/operated shop. If you can find one where the owner is actually doing the body work and painting himself, all the better. I would never consider a dealer body shop repair, their labor and parts rates are inflated. Most of these guys take pride in their skills and won't disappoint their customers.
Be upfront with them; tell them no insurance claim and paying in cash.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My good friend owns a body shop, we trade work.

Better off to ask around, smaller shops are cheaper compared to dealerships.
Dealerships do factory approved repair work.
That being said, if aluminum is involved, pay the dealer his money. Quite a few shops are skirting around the aluminum stuff. Buddy doesent want to get into the aluminum reapirs....

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I feel your pain. I had my truck side swiped by some moron. Truck was brand new (first new truck I ever bought for myself too) and it only had 4k miles on it. Ended up being $4,500 in damage and a week in the body shop. Thankfully, I didn't pay for it, but I never would have imagined it would be that much!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Whatever happened to an honest days pay for an honest days work?

No one cares anymore. People will take you for every dollar your worth and lie right to your face.

Drives me nuts too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk7fYBw6PfQ
LMAO, I forgot about that clip :D We had a tractor trailer driver clean out our gate post at work, in the process it shoved one of the posts through the metal siding on the building. Guy actually had the nerve to say it was like that when he pulled in. Couldn't account for the big bang inside the building or the dent in the back of his trailer :rolleyes:

His insurance took a pretty good hit ;)

lamanated

Equipment
BX
May 2, 2013
Zephyrhills Fl
get ready for big claims if you have a Ford,, we are hearing shops cant work with the Aluminum, and its soo easy to tear the skin ,and god knows if they can fix a frame...
We just had one guy try and pressure wash a truck and blew the paint off it

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
$600 for bodywork, paint, probably clearcoat, seems to be right in line with what I would expect for a small repair... or you can find the guy with no insurance, no work comp, no spraybooth and a high school shop student to fix your $30,000+ truck and watch it peel off later. The PDR suggestion is a good one if the paint is not broken.

Good point on why insurance costs are climbing.

I'm not in the bodyshop business:)