Steering Problem with M4030SU Kubota tractor

Pastor Larry

Equipment
M4030SU 1992 Kubota Tractor
May 2, 2024
Dresden, TN
For the last few months, my Kubota tractor has a steering problem that is getting worse. As it veers to the right or left, I have to turn the steering wheel a full turn in the opposite direction before it even begins to correct. I've checked the hydraulic fluid on the main dipstick and it is okay. Is there a separate place to check the steering fluid level? The power steering is also jerky for a while until it warms up for about 15 minutes. Also, how can I bleed the system to make sure there is no air in the lines?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Although the problem sounds more significant than just air in the steering hydraulics, here’s what worked for me when my steering had sone trouble due to starving the engine for fuel nose up and pushing the HST and turning the steering wheel getting off the hill with a dead engine. Jack up the front axle at the pivot point with the engine running, cycle the steering wheel left to right and right to left, lock to lock a dozen times or so. Fixed my problem. Could probably use the FEL to lift up the front end too.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes your power steering runs off a seperate hydraulic tank than the tractor.
It's under the hood, dip stick in the cap.

1714714431038.png

Pastor Larry

Equipment
M4030SU 1992 Kubota Tractor
May 2, 2024
Dresden, TN
Although the problem sounds more significant than just air in the steering hydraulics, here’s what worked for me when my steering had sone trouble due to starving the engine for fuel nose up and pushing the HST and turning the steering wheel getting off the hill with a dead engine. Jack up the front axle at the pivot point with the engine running, cycle the steering wheel left to right and right to left, lock to lock a dozen times or so. Fixed my problem. Could probably use the FEL to lift up the front end too.
Thank you so much for your advice. I tried it and my steering is now working properly. I don't really understand what happened, but I'm grateful that the steering is working properly.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Thank you so much for your advice. I tried it and my steering is now working properly. I don't really understand what happened, but I'm grateful that the steering is working properly.
You are welcome. I’m surprised it worked, but I’m pleased it helped.