Steering Box Dust Seal

Rut Row

Equipment
Kubota L2250DT
Mar 14, 2019
Keedysville, MD USA
I have a L2250DT and oil is leaking out of the steering box. It appears that all I need to do is replace the dust seal (Kubota: SEAL, DUST, Part # 35270-16150), This looks like a fairly straight forward thing to do.

Have I assessed this correctly?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That would be a big negative... It's a DUST seal not an oil seal. :p

And no just replacing the oil seal under it, is probably not going to fix it either, usually when they start leaking it's because of an internal leak.

Your most likely going to need a complete rebuild kit to seal it back up. ;)

Rut Row

Equipment
Kubota L2250DT
Mar 14, 2019
Keedysville, MD USA
That would be a big negative... It's a DUST seal not an oil seal. :p

And no just replacing the oil seal under it, is probably not going to fix it either, usually when they start leaking it's because of an internal leak.

Your most likely going to need a complete rebuild kit to seal it back up. ;)
I stopped by my dealer yesterday - Antietam Tractor. The parts guy said his fiched called it an oil seal. He had a mechanic come out, he looked at the fiche and said "don't care what you call it, that's the oil seal."

Sometime the part description is misleading, eh?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll just post the picture since you and your dealer don't believe me.
Go back and tell your dealer to drop the microfiche and get a computer! :rolleyes:

Dust seals do not seal in oil, they are to keep dust out, that seal is not designed to keep oil in, if it was, Kubota would have called it an oil seal.

I'll repeat what I wrote earlier, replacing just the dust seal is most likely not going to fix it, pressure and leakage on the inside O-ring's are the cause of the oil leak before the seal, so a complete rebuild is usually required.

Manual box just for reference:

Attachments

Last edited: