stationary base for portable band saw

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
My son was over a couple of weeks ago to see my 'work in progress' workshop. We were discussing my Dewalt battery bandsaw and how heavy it is to use. He mentioned there is a base that can convert it for semi-stationary use. A few days later it showed up at my door :) Good kid!

It was really easy to assemble, fits a ton of bandsaws and it can removed quickly from the base to use as a portable again.

I used it today and it was a pleasure. It's not a 'real' stationary saw but for my uses, perfect!

band saw on mount 20230922_161438.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
That is cool.
I didn't know a base was available.
I have a Milwaukee portable hand held bandsaw I use.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
SWAG off-road makes some good tooling for inspiring fabricators. Did the HF ring roller mod 12+ years ago.
IMG_0065.jpeg

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
SWAG makes some really cool stuff!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Both bases are pretty cool but how is the saw held in place ?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
In my swag unit you remove the blade safety bar (right terminolgy?) and replace it with their plate. That plate fits into the top piece and is held there by a bolt with a knurled knob. Easy peasy to remove and make the saw 'portable' again

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
At the time I was cutting a lot of flat stock, stainless blade steels, nickel silver, 410 stainless sheet etc and needed a small bandsaw. I burned up a HF and had a lot of tracking issues etc. I ended up with the DeWalt and this is how I mounted mine. My knife shop is very compact and not a lot of extra bench space. This setup also allows me to get up close with my wheelchair.

The platten I made used the tee slot that Dewalt used for the little material rest that is supplied with the saw. I mounted the saw in a C channel by simply removing the handle. I use the vice grip to hold the trigger down! lol. KISS. :)
IMG_8836.JPG
IMG_8834.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
well the vise grip is more creative than my choice - a nylon zip tie that slip on n off the trigger :)

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have an idea for an improvement on using these neat little saws as vertical metal cutting bandsaws.

Due to the fact I have hundreds of hours using mine in this fashion there is a short coming. It is the guide bearings and they way they twist the blade. My blades would almost always fail by the blade starting to crack perpendicular to the length of the blade. This cracking is caused by the fairly extreme twist.

If I was younger, much smarter than I am, have CNC programing experience etc I would design guide rollers and brackets to eliminate the twist. This would also eliminate the issue of not being able to cut a deep cut due to hitting the bandsaw frame.

In BXHooiser's picture you can easily see the "twist" and visualize how eliminating the twist you would be able to make an unlimited deep cut, working in the confines of the throat width of course. Hope that all makes sense.

Sawdust&Shavings

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870,LA203A,BX6315,BX2767,RCK48-18BX,GCK60-23BX
Apr 25, 2023
Stafford, VA
well the vise grip is more creative than my choice - a nylon zip tie that slip on n off the trigger :)
I use a piece of Velcro to keep the trigger engaged on mine; it’s always on but I added an on/off switch (like my other wood working tools use) for ease of us.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
D@@m it!!!!!!

Someone here owes me some money!

There I was, just minding my own business, and then BAM. Ya'll post a link to that press brake kit!

That is just hitting below the belt.

Why not just hold an AA meeting at the local pub, during happy hour?

Now I gotta figure out which one I "have to have". :p 😂

The finance committee meeting is gonna be rough this month.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user