Starting

KUBOTA4900

Equipment
KUBOTA M4900SDC & LA100C LOADER,PALLET FORKS,BRUSH HOG BOX SCRAPER 3PT HITCH
Feb 3, 2013
durango colo la plata co
Morning ott

i have read post in the past that state my tracter starts up in 15 degree weather without prheating the glow plugs

so my questions is do u have to prheat use glow plugs to start if weather is nice say 50 degree outside is it ok to just turn key over and start it

2nd ?? If so then i take it glow plugs are only for cold starting ????

And how long should you let it warm up before operating ??

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Cold starting performance depends on a number of things, direct or indirect injection, compression ratio, injection timing, ect. If she'll start without glow plugs go for it. I can't speak from experience with my Kubota but the few diesels I've used would start on their own above 40-50F. Below that use the plugs as needed to get it going and until it'll run without them. If it's really cold and it refuses to start use a heat gun or hair dryer to feed it hot air.

Warm up is a matter of debate and personal preference. I'll give them a minute or two to let the cylinder, head, and piston get some heat in them and then start driving. I try to avoid working it hard til the coolant is at temperature.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I use the glow plugs every time I do the "First start". Why needlessly crank the engine, wash the cylinders and have a rough start just to NOT use the glow plugs?? Most Kubota engines I know of are indirect injection engines meaning they have a pre-chamber. The pre-chamber engines usually have a glow plug to aid in starting. My Cummins powered Dodge is a Direct injected engine in that the fuel is injected directly over the piston crown. It uses a grid heater in the intake when needed. The Cummins will start without pre-heating.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have yet to see it get cold enough that mine won't crank without glow plugs. That being said I use mine just so it will be easier on the engine. My rule of thumb is if I need a jacket then I use the plugs. Normally about 2 or 3 seconds of heat works fine on my tractor.

JMHO but I feel like warm up time is just as important as changing the oil. Fire it up and then take a few minutes to walk around and kick the tires so to speak. I think a few minutes of warm up will add years of life to your tractor but that's just me.

KUBOTA4900

Equipment
KUBOTA M4900SDC & LA100C LOADER,PALLET FORKS,BRUSH HOG BOX SCRAPER 3PT HITCH
Feb 3, 2013
durango colo la plata co
Thank you guz very much last 2 day it has started up w/out preheating but as bulldog said i didnt need a jacket either and i do a thourgh walk around before i drive it so thats a pretty smart thumb bulldog thanks everyone

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
You more or less need to learn your machine. My B6100 will flat out refuse to start even on a 70 or 80 deg day without at least 10 seconds of glow. Once it's warmed up it starts fine but from dead cold, forget about it. When I bought it, it was in SC and with 70+ deg weather down there, I had to use a little either to get it running, till I got it home and could replace the glow plugs. On a cold winter day, 35-40 seconds is needed and even then I'll switch the key back over and glow em for a few seconds till it smooths out. This is even with new properly working plugs.

My dads B7200 is a lot more forgiving in warmer weather, but still needs some glow time when cold.

Neither one of them has failed to start however as long the charging system and battery are working properly. I had to sort through charging/battery problems on both machines.