Starting issue

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Its not the starter. Remove battery negative cable-both ends and clean cables and frame where cable goes. A new bolt and re assemble.

As you mentioned the lights go out when you try the starter, thats a circuit opening. Battery will do that-they have the potential to explode if they arc internally (happened to me once) so please be careful.

When my tractor did this, i removed battery and cables and cleaned everything.
Its been nearly a year without a hiccup.

Could remove starter and test with jumper cables on a different battery.

Keep us posted, would like to know what solved your issue.

I will be trying that tool junkie, thanks!

Corney

Equipment
So after months with no tractor we pulled the starter off and I took it in to check it out. It had a couple brushes disconnected and was a $70 fix.

Put it all back together as we had the whole dash torn apart with switches checked etc. Tried it and still nothing? Replaced the ground cable and still nothing?

Finally replaced the positive cable and away she went!!!!!!!!! Wooohoooo!

Running like a top again, took off the snowblower and put on the mower.

Corney

Equipment
Apparently We must have caused so some kind of short because now the battery is not charging. It boost just fine and runs great. Just won't turn over under the battery?

Plan is to rewire this winter, just want to get through the summer!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you ever get a wiring diagram for it?
Your problem could be a multitude of places, I can send you a link to the L185 WSM and I do it's the same wiring.
Check all the connections on the regulator, alternator, and on the switch, when you were in there it's very possible a wire came off something. ;)

Corney

Equipment
Thanks Wolfman, I believe we do have a wiring diagram. My buddy was using it to diagnose the starter issue. He even knows how to use a meter unfortunately he is up north at a mine till the weekend.

The positive cable was replaced and the ground wire was in crappy shape as well, just real ignorant where it is attached to the frame. That is gonna change!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On the L185 (similar tractor to your L1500 I believe) the ground cable is attached to the frame with a bolt around where the radiator support is also attached to the frame (may be the same bolt).

It really does not matter that much where it attaches just as long as it is a good electrical attachment.

Corney

Equipment
You bet and that bolt is in a miserable spot, it will be in a new spot that is easily accessible after tonight.

Been working the hey out of that little tractor the past week. My Dad used it to till in between some new rows of trees and he was impressed.

I was surprised to see an oil bath on the tiller chain and sprocket! Good thing I checked because it was totally empty!