Starlink & myQ garage door opener

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
But you're still not using the Starlink router, right?
Correct. Using EERO mesh fed direct from the dish. If you can't turn off the 5GHz on the Starlink router briefly to connect the wifi to MyQ, that can be a problem. If you can, turn off, connect, turn the 5 GHz back on. Check the App and see if you can do that. Starlink routers are pretty shabby in both Ver 1 and 2.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Correct. Using EERO mesh fed direct from the dish. If you can't turn off the 5GHz on the Starlink router briefly to connect the wifi to MyQ, that can be a problem. If you can, turn off, connect, turn the 5 GHz back on. Check the App and see if you can do that. Starlink routers are pretty shabby in both Ver 1 and 2.
How are you not using the Starlink router?
And are you on the High performance or Version 2?
The high performance is a lot bigger of a dish and a lot pricier.

FYI: I'm just south of you and we were starlink's first customers beta and beyond.

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
How are you not using the Starlink router?
And are you on the High performance or Version 2?
The high performance is a lot bigger of a dish and a lot pricier.

FYI: I'm just south of you and we were starlink's first customers beta and beyond.
Using the High Performance. In the Starlink box, you should get a 3 foot cord that plugs into the power supply and has a RJ45 on the other end which goes directly into your third party router. I had one in my original Ver 1 as well. If you can't find it, they sell them on the Starlink site. You don't get all the functions of the App when you ditch the Starlink router, but you get enough to operate well.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Using the High Performance. In the Starlink box, you should get a 3 foot cord that plugs into the power supply and has a RJ45 on the other end which goes directly into your third party router. I had one in my original Ver 1 as well. If you can't find it, they sell them on the Starlink site. You don't get all the functions of the App when you ditch the Starlink router, but you get enough to operate well.
Gotcha, Version 2 has an addible ethernet adapter but you still use the router.
Where version 1 and Pro you can just use the power injector and the ethernet.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Update-
Been a while. I noticd my router got some firmware. Then I added a wall mount door opener in the shop, Decided to try again with the new opener. Holy carp! It worked!
Tried to add the houe garage again. Son of a.... it worked too!
No clue what the issue was. But both doors are linked in myQ now. Direct through the Starlink router.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Glad to know that you finally got them both working. You will love the wall-mounted opener as compared to the chain-driven ones. They are a world apart.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Update-
Been a while. I noticd my router got some firmware. Then I added a wall mount door opener in the shop, Decided to try again with the new opener. Holy carp! It worked!
Tried to add the houe garage again. Son of a.... it worked too!
No clue what the issue was. But both doors are linked in myQ now. Direct through the Starlink router.
Do you still have the network split?
Or are you doing all 5g?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is a rare residential building that has enough clearance above the lift for the type of car/truck you want to put on the lift. It is good that I have shrunk in my old age so I don't need the car up as high to get under it. I should have built a proper building for working on my old cars 40 years ago. Now I am divesting my collection. You spend half your life finding the vehicle you want to keep forever, and eventually, the day comes that is the time to send them to their new caretakers.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They are in 2.4g with the rest of the appliances. The Starlink router does both.
Yea I didn't have any other issues with any of the other Network hooked up appliances, just the garage doors.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have 16' x 10' and a 12' x 10' doors, they are both very insulated and heavy.
The Linear openers have Zero issues opening and closing them and there is Zero chance of bending the doors trying to open and close them.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The one thing I have found with the Chamberlin/Liftmaster 8500 is that if the power goes out and you have a generator backup, the control pads don't work well after the power has been restored. After about 24 hours, they reset and work like they should. Liftmaster has no answer why I have this issue with them and their suggestion is to replace the remotes. I have installed the battery backups in all the Liftmaster units to see if it might alleviate the problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The one thing I have found with the Chamberlin/Liftmaster 8500 is that if the power goes out and you have a generator backup, the control pads don't work well after the power has been restored. After about 24 hours, they reset and work like they should. Liftmaster has no answer why I have this issue with them and their suggestion is to replace the remotes. I have installed the battery backups in all the Liftmaster units to see if it might alleviate the problem.
My units have the battery back up, and I've had zero issues with mine ever locking up.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
All of mine have the battery backup also, but I didn't connect the batteries for security purposes. If we are home then the generator will start automatically. If we are away for a while, I turn off the generator's automatic transfer switch, and a neighbor will stop in and start the generator. If the batteries are in the lift mechanism and the power goes out the doors will still operate, which I was trying to avoid.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
It is a rare residential building that has enough clearance above the lift for the type of car/truck you want to put on the lift. It is good that I have shrunk in my old age so I don't need the car up as high to get under it. I should have built a proper building for working on my old cars 40 years ago. Now I am divesting my collection. You spend half your life finding the vehicle you want to keep forever, and eventually, the day comes that is the time to send them to their new caretakers.
We were fortunate enough to build this place custom. The clearane isnt huge (8' high doors, 14' inside/ two 16'wide and one 8' wide doors) but it's a ton better than the old cookie cutter home.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
We have one with a battery and one without. No issues with either one on or after generator running. We have lost power twice in the last month.