Special tool tie rod

rexey

Jun 29, 2017
New Hampshire.
Whats the name of the tie rod tool that grabs the steering rod? Or is there some other way to break free the second one? B26 and yeah there is a flat spot on top and bottom designed for a wrench. But not on the shiny end just the rough part right by the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look on the other end and see if there is flats on the cylinder?
To get exact answers it helps if you reference what Model Tractor / Equipment you are dealing with. ;)

Last edited:

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Whats the name of the tie rod tool that grabs the steering rod? Or is there some other way to break free the second one?

There are open end wrenches available that are ground thin enough to slip into that spot. The heads are bigger (wider) than ordinary open end wrenches to account for the lack of mass of the regular ones. Made just for this kind of wrench work.

All the major tool manufacturers offer them, even in metric.

Measure the wrench flats on the rod with a caliper, and do a web search for a tappet wrench in that size.

One of these should do it:

http://www.mactools.com/en-us/Wrenc...SDTM5PT/5-PC-Metric-Thin-Open-End-Wrench-Set-

And if a couple hundred bucks for a set of good wrenches breaks your budget, the wrenches can be purchased individually.

rexey

Jun 29, 2017
New Hampshire.
There are open end wrenches available that are ground thin enough to slip into that spot. The heads are bigger (wider) than ordinary open end wrenches to account for the lack of mass of the regular ones. Made just for this kind of wrench work.

All the major tool manufacturers offer them, even in metric.

Measure the wrench flats on the rod with a caliper, and do a web search for a tappet wrench in that size.

One of these should do it:

http://www.mactools.com/en-us/Wrenc...SDTM5PT/5-PC-Metric-Thin-Open-End-Wrench-Set-

And if a couple hundred bucks for a set of good wrenches breaks your budget, the wrenches can be purchased individually.

Hey that's awesome!! I had no idea!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Inner tie rod end, also known as ball and socket,either has a male or female where it connects to hyd.cylinder. between the chrome and ball and socket i cant tell if there is flats in your picture. May need to heat it a little to release the threadlock compound.

rexey

Jun 29, 2017
New Hampshire.
Thin wrench worked! The heat would have helped too! Didn't think of that..
to all there is a thin flat top and bottom on only 1 side of the steering bar. If you have a similar issue and you find the flat spot this thread will steer you the right way. Or if you have a steering bar like the b26

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Thin wrench worked! The heat would have helped too! Didn't think of that..
to all there is a thin flat top and bottom on only 1 side of the steering bar. If you have a similar issue and you find the flat spot this thread will steer you the right way. Or if you have a steering bar like the b26

What wrench size is it?

Sent from my electronic leash