Sound Deadening

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
It very well may be that other users not experiencing the same level of discomfort that I am. I'm not trying to bash anyone. I read that they can't test hearing protection with microphones, and that they need human subjects to come up with some accurate results. Everyone is different. Maybe the fact I already have damage and tinnitus makes my ears more sensitive? Its good to discuss our options and personal experiences. I need to be super careful, so from that standpoint...:)

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i finally got my backhoe hooked up and started using the tractor on some stump digging. i should mention i added about a half gallon of kubota super fancy hydraulic oil into the hydraulic system. losses due to connecting and disconnecting equipment and it was low when delivered. anyway, after about 35hrs of tractor use. 10 hrs of stump digging. the hydraulics suddenly got noticeably quieter.
in the following days i finally got a app for my phone to see how loud it is inside my cab. under load, i'm averaging between 97-102 db. not good for your hearing. so now that i have a baseline. i'll start installing some sound control measures.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
97-102 DB Wow, I maxed at 95 during my uphill driving test. I'm curious what app do you use? I've been using the SPLnFFT app on my iphone 6.

I'd really love to hear you're results. What materials you decided to go with and how you did it.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Keep in mind when using an app like that on your phone is not always accurate. Some phones automatically lower the volume of really loud noises to protect hearing and sound quality. It gives you a point of reference, but another phone could give different numbers.

I play with sound systems and editing software, so I researched this a while back. Tim

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Keep in mind when using an app like that on your phone is not always accurate. Some phones automatically lower the volume of really loud noises to protect hearing and sound quality. It gives you a point of reference, but another phone could give different numbers.

I play with sound systems and editing software, so I researched this a while back. Tim

True, thats why I was hoping to at least find out what type of app and even phone he's using so at least come up with close numbers. I spent $4 for the app, so I dont expect too much, just a generalization. I read the iphone with the app I noted was rated better for sound capture, for whatever reason... What would you recommend as an inexpensive option? I saw entry DB meters around $80. Also any input on frequencies and anything you think might help moving forward.

I also tried out the app with some chainsaw work, it also came in at about 95 DB. The chainsaw seemed louder, I thought it would register higher...

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Most apps will let you calibrate them so if you have a known source or can borrow someone's meter you can get it right for lower volume use. Even once calibrated they cannot be used for anything over 80-90 db's with any measure of accuracy. Electret microphones which are used in phones are useless above that mark so the readings you see could be higher or lower.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
True, thats why I was hoping to at least find out what type of app and even phone he's using so at least come up with close numbers. I spent $4 for the app, so I dont expect too much, just a generalization. I read the iphone with the app I noted was rated better for sound capture, for whatever reason... What would you recommend as an inexpensive option? I saw entry DB meters around $80. Also any input on frequencies and anything you think might help moving forward.

I also tried out the app with some chainsaw work, it also came in at about 95 DB. The chainsaw seemed louder, I thought it would register higher...
When I started looking for a db meter, I looked at the prices, my budget, and what I wanted to do, and ended up with an app for my android. As far as different frequencies, I'm still learning. So I'm not a lot of help.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
NEPA Guy and Tempforce, I am hoping you guys can come up with some data soon! I am going to get a B2650 with cab sometime in the next month or two, and find the noise objectionable too. The first one I drove I thought there was something wrong with it when I put it in reverse to back out of its parking spot. It sounded like there were rocks in the gears. I have driven 3 different 2650HSDCs and there was considerable (subjective) difference in how noisy each was. How much the noise annoyed me depended on the gear and the rpm.

One dealer has suggested Noico butyl adhesive material applied to the inside of the cab. I will be intensely interested in hearing how any of the materials you guys try works out.

The experiment I would try, rather than getting more expensive sound meters, would be to hang your phone from a string so it isn't touching anything, and make measurements at say 1,000, 1500, 2,000, and 2500 rpm in each gear after 10 min warm up, and repeat 5 times and then graph the average for each point for a baseline. Then do the same after each sound reduction insulation that you try. That way if your measuring app flattens out in its response at certain levels you could still get a per cent reduction that would help us all decide what is the most effective.

Last edited:

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
Our server room at work was so loud we had to use hearing protection. Went to a local music shop and bought the same stuff they use in their composing room. It looks like black foam egg carton. Adhesive back so we cut to size and placed on walls. From memory it was obscenely expensive and ugly but was almost magic. After install could speak in normal tones.

If I can find some that does not break the bank I will be trying some in can of 2370.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I'm sure you'll be happy with the 2650 sheepfarmer, Although I'm not sure how quickly Ill be able to make some effective changes. (Go Tempforce!)

I'll try hanging the phone by something, that's a good idea, I had left it on the front dash while recording, it could be picking up some residual vibrations.

Once I get the snowplow hooked up thats another level of sound We'll have to contend with. Meanwhile the more information and collaboration we get on the subject will surely prove invaluable. :)

Humblebub, I worked in a server farm for a while, plenty of AC and the constant hum was distracting. Our team was enclosed in the glass room for clients to ooh and ahh at to show how much money the company vested in technology.

I've been poking around online during my coffee breaks and was thinking about using some sound proofing curtains some places sell and hanging it with suction cups with hooks on em. I know that the glass is a large hurdle to overcome. I wonder if just by hanging some of the material on the side windows if it would make a noticeable difference in sound absorption.

Kinda brings me back to the days of my old van that had wall to wall carpeting... :D

here's an interesting video on anechoic chambers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZrkk2zFyBc

I'm wondering if this can offer an added level of protection for less $. I read where the ANR technology doesn't work well without headphones. I'm going to try it with my 31NRR Peltors as soon as I get my tractor back from the dealer (A kubota rep is checking out my mid pto issue this thursday)

http://www.essency.co.uk/worksonics-support-faq/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/worksonics!/id674570355?mt=8

Last edited:

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i'm using decibel meter. a free app on my iPhone se. i haven't done any soundproofing yet.
i had a cement mixer break. a wheel barrow borrowed without permission. also trying to get power into my shop. i've been using a 100' extension cord on a 15 amp outlet, which is a pain.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I decided to update this thread as another is working on the issue.

I had the machine in Medium. Its how I usually work with the blower or the blade. I didn't find any difference in the sound level with the blower engaged.

I made 5 or 6 videos but didn't feel like going through all the trouble of posting the varying speeds and rpms. (yet) There differences were minimal. Someone once commented that running at 2000 rpm's was the sweet spot for sound. I didn't find that to be true.

I'm working with an average low of 85 DB and an an average high of 95DB.

Although I did max out at 101 DB, I had the cruise control engaged. I try not to use it. I also dont use my radio either.

https://youtu.be/uzoRYWEp-vY

A link to references for sound levels. Tractors are listed in 100DB range.

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm

Last edited:

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I think you get about 30 decibels reduction with foam earplugs. It may be hard to achieve that with modifications to your tractor. I think just the diesel motor is loud never mind the hst. Then again - maybe I need to adjust my valves!

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
In looking for sound deadening materials, I was hard pressed to find any quantifiable results in before and after scenarios. The stuff isn't cheap and I was looking for the best bang for my buck.

I wrote a letter to dynamat explaining the situation. The technical team said they have experience in working with tractors. Namely HST.

They said modest gains could be achieved by wrapping the floor by using Dynamat extreme and then overlap it with dynandeck. 2-3 decibels at best.

The glass is the enemy. I even suggested wrapping the bottom half of the glass doors and the front bottom windshield panels. Maybe 1 db improvement.

It could be noticeable but for the price...eh. If I'm going to drop $ 300-400, I would hope for a 10db improvement.

I could see getting underneath the tractor and covering as much area as possible but it might be a waste of time unless the whole cab was lifted to allow access to the entire underside and even the wheel wells. Missing even the smallest of areas could prove detrimental to the project.

I'll wait till spring when the weather warms up to do anything. Most of the manufacturers want room temperature to apply the material which is basically tar with an aluminum layer. Some have complained of the smell.

Running in low at 2500 rpm, I was operating at 90-94 db blowing snow yesterday.