soon to be 2013 MX5100 owner

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
Hello all.
will soon be taking delivery on a 2013 MX5100 with 30 hours on it.
It has the front end loader, 6'brush hog,6'finish mower, a box scraper and a blade.
I purchased a small pc of land that was part of an old 40 acre farm. I only have 5.5 acres which about 3 acres of that are a pasture thats bowl shaped. The rest is flat lawn and two pole barns, house and garage so i have good storage for my new machine. I'm new to tractors, never driven one before. Any tips or advise for a green horn with a orange tractor appreciated!

Last edited:

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
Welcome. I have an MX5800 which is very similar. You are really going to like it.
Wow that is low hours. Got mine new last august and have more hours than that.
If you are buying from a dealer, i would ask them to spend a little time with you.
Failing that, maybe someone on here is close by.
The two primary ways of getting hurt (or worse) is rolling it over and the pto.
Stay off of hills and never get off the tractor with the pto running. Keep the fel low while driving.
Get an owners manual if one isnt coming with it.
Drive slow
Get in some careful seat time.
Congrats on a great find

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Very nice! Sounds like you have everything you need to maintain your property. I would also suggest going to YouTube and searching for instructional videos for your various equipment. There are some good ones on there. There are also many knowledgeable people on this forum that will help you. The main thing is to be safe and alert. Now post some pics for us to see your new toys!

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
Thanks for the Help. This is probably more tractor than I need but I think I got a great deal on this and its like new. Kept in a pole barn. Its a friends who only used it to mow a lawn at a summer house. I paid 21K delivered to my place.
that included the 4 implements. With 30 hours I couldn't pass it up. New I think the tractor with the loader is about 29K. Getting it next wednesday :).

I read up on it on youtube etc as suggested. I'lll probably need a lot of help as I'm green as the grass when it comes to rural life and tractors.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Just take it slow, keep ballast on when using the FEL, keep a loaded bucked pretty low when traveling and take your time, you'll be fine.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Good find! You will love it. Like others said go slow. Judging distance with the FEL will be challenging at first. Slow with eyes wide. These tractors are a tad light in the rear so never use the FEL without ballast (implement or ballast box of some sort on the 3 point. We also filled the rear tires with beat juice and the tractor seems more stable and has better traction.

This video will be helpful for maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwZiMslo5Fc

SkylineAcres16

Equipment
Kubota MX5800 HST, International B-275 Diesel
Sep 3, 2016
Virginia
I put 30 hours on my new MX5800 and I've only had it 2 months. Sounds like a great find!

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
The guy i'm buying it from told me the rear tires are filled for extra traction /weight already. It has a Hydrostatic drive also with 3 ranges. Is this preferred over a straight transmission with a clutch and gearshift?

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
That depends on who you ask. I have hydrostAt and it performs well and makes some jobs a lot easier.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
Great find"! You will love it. Take it slow, and think twice, and you will be fine. I have about 90 hours on my 4800 and couldn't be happier.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
The guy i'm buying it from told me the rear tires are filled for extra traction /weight already. It has a Hydrostatic drive also with 3 ranges. Is this preferred over a straight transmission with a clutch and gearshift?
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Any loader work will be more efficient.
For mowing and tiller work the cruise control is fantastic.