Social Security part B

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK today I get a let for these clowns tellin me I have to buy part B at 105.00 a month. I called and asked WHY,,
well because you have to,,
WHY,,
because your going to be 65,
ok so WHY do I have to buy this, I carried over my Health Ins from work,,
yes I under stand,,
so WHY do I have to spend 105 bucks on something I don't need,,,
well Sir that's the LAW,,
but I have health ins so why are you saying your going to take money from me to pay for ins I don't need,,,
WHY,,
because that's the LAW,,
I don't want this part B you want to charge me for
if you don't take it now once your past 65 you will have to wait to become enrolled
WHY, I ALREADY HAVE HEALTH INS THAT I PAY FOR EVERYMONTH.
because its the law sir
OK EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ITS THE LAW
well suppose that down the road you need medical help
BUT I ALREADY HAVE MEDICAL INS
i understand sir but if your company cancels you, you will have to wait until open season to enrole
DUDE I HAVE MEDICAL INS WHY DO I NEED THIS?
sir there is no reason to get aggressive
JUST TELL ME WHY AND DONT SAY ITS THE FREEKIN LAW.
sir i see this is going no where i ll make an appointment for you to come in to see a rep.

Up until I got the mail the morning was going well I have these punks that Think if they say its the LAW you will roll over all I want is some gawd dammed answers!!!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My wife and I have part B, but my older brother and his wife don't. Due to recent health issues, he is going to sign up for part B, but it is under his own imitative; we all have the same insurance from our work.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
" Up until I got the mail the morning was going well I have these punks that Think if they say its the LAW you will roll over all I want is some gawd dammed answers!!! "

To me, this reek's of being a scam, not the law.
Social Security does not contact you by email.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
IM sorry that should have read( LETTER in the mail) sorry for any confusion

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
skeets, Harry Reid says that you are a liar!

Call your insurance company and see what they say. If you have "comparable" coverage, that should allow you to not enroll in Medicare until you would choose to do so and not experience the fine for delayed enrollment. Your current insurer will be able to guide you correctly.

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
Just remember "If you like your insurance, you can keep your insurance" :)

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Eric, I'm sure they are. lol

Hmmm, I wasn't going to comment about "dangerous words" but after reflecting a bit, too bad... those words were straight from the mouth of POTUS. And after all, a friendly site is a happy site! Happy, happy, happy..........

09Ram

Equipment
09 Ram 2500, Grand L3830, GST, 6 ft Brushhog, 6 ft Box Blade, 8 ft Disk, Auger
Jun 8, 2013
Tahlequah, Ok
Let me take a stab at this...

65 years of age is the Medicare Age even though full retirement age is now 66, soon to be 66 1/2 and then 67. At 65 years of age if you have "Group Health Insurance through someone you are currently employed with then you can waive Medicare Part B (Outpatient Medical insurance) until you retire without penalty (10% per yr) because the insurance you have would be considered "Creditable Coverage" and "is as good as or better than" Medicare Part B. Once you retire your group health insurance (if you decide to keep it) turns into Retirement insurance and loses its status as "Creditable Coverage" so if you do not enroll in Medicare B at that time the Penalties for late enrollment will start accrueing. Most retirement insurances require you to enroll in Medicare Part B for you to be fully covered under their plans without reduced coverage. The Medicare Part B premium for most currently is $104.90 per month. If you decline it without group health coverage every year you wait to enroll it will increase in cost 10% and you will pay that increase every month for the rest of your life so you can see that waiting to enroll could be a costly proposition.

For you folks that are turning 65 with no insurance through work but are still working until full retirement age make sure you enroll in Medicare either 3 months before, the month of or 3 months after you turn 65 to avoid the penalty because as I said before 65 is the Medicare age Unless you were disabled prior to retirement when it could start earlier (2 years after onset of disability before age 65)...

Another thing... For you guys turning 65 but still employed go ahead and enroll in Medicare Part A (Hospitalization). This is the part of Medicare you have been paying taxes on all your working life so it has no addidtional charges for you to enroll into it at 65 unless you didn't work enough quarters to be eligible for it.

Hope this helps...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sorry but that's as clear as mud, so what your saying is the Health Ins I carried over when I retired and pay monthly is no good, is that right?
I am so bloody confused by this

09Ram

Equipment
Jun 8, 2013
Tahlequah, Ok
Sorry but that's as clear as mud, so what your saying is the Health Ins I carried over when I retired and pay monthly is no good, is that right?
I am so bloody confused by this
Ok, we got part of this out of the way - you early retired and kept a retirement insurance. You are turning 65 so now you are Medicare age. You should contact your insurance company and see how your insurance will work with Medicare. See if Medicare Part B is required for you to have full scope insurance or if they are counting on you to have Medicare B so they are not fully responsible for all of your medical care. If they tell you everything is great and there is no requirement for Medicare B and you will receive all the coverage through them that you could possibly need until the day you die then you are in good shape as long as they keep their word.

Medicare Part B covers 80% of Outpatient (Dr) visits, durable medical equipment, Oxygen, Emergency Transportation (ambulance/life flight), and catastrophic illness drugs (Cancer, HIV, etc...)

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
09RAM Great write up. Only thing I would add is that "creditable coverage" refers to Part D or drug coverage. Part B as you point out may or may not be required to be purchased depending on a persons employment status.

skeets, you may want to contact your current insurance company to get their take on your specific situation. You don't want to wind up paying a penalty forever.

09RAM I like your handle. I could have made mine 06RAM, 3500 dually, Cummins! :D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
"you can keep your current insurance" BULLSHIT.... BCBS sent me a letter saying my current insurance did not fit ""OBAMA " guidelines. So I had to sign up for a new insurance, and of course, it cost more.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks much guys and yeah that's a good point I will call my provider and find out what they say,, And here I thought this was gona be easy:rolleyes:
I should have known better

09Ram

Equipment
Jun 8, 2013
Tahlequah, Ok
09RAM Great write up. Only thing I would add is that "creditable coverage" refers to Part D or drug coverage. Part B as you point out may or may not be required to be purchased depending on a persons employment status.

skeets, you may want to contact your current insurance company to get their take on your specific situation. You don't want to wind up paying a penalty forever.

09RAM I like your handle. I could have made mine 06RAM, 3500 dually, Cummins! :D
Creditable Coverage just means the insurance you have is good as or better than... you are correct that the term is mainly used for Medicare D but it also fits the relationship of Group Health Insurance and Medicare Part B...

I had an 04 3500 Cummins dually Ram 4x4 but there were lots of places I couldn't get to on our deer lease so I traded it on the 09 2500 Cummins 4x4. ;)

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
I had an 04 3500 Cummins dually Ram 4x4 but there were lots of places I couldn't get to on our deer lease so I traded it on the 09 2500 Cummins 4x4. ;)
Yeah, the turning radius can be a bit challenging as can be the width on our local roadways with snow furrows, but when I buckle on the 5th wheel it sure is sweet.

09Ram

Equipment
Jun 8, 2013
Tahlequah, Ok
Yeah, the turning radius can be a bit challenging as can be the width on our local roadways with snow furrows, but when I buckle on the 5th wheel it sure is sweet.
Holy thread hijack Batman ;)

I just pull a 30 foot bumper pull camper, a boat, a drag car, and my little Kubota. The main thing I miss about my dually is the bed length. Main thing I don't miss is buying 6 tires at a time...