So how confusing is this?

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
WARNING!!!!! Detailed confusing situation follows......Read only if you have your favorite beverage at hand (maybe more than one )!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Ok everybody (especially experienced Kubota documentation readers).......See if this is totally confusing or maybe it's just me.

Subject is a L245DT Waterpump
-S/N on the plate added to the side of the tranny shows 54880.
-S/N stamped into the side of the rear end (below the seat on right hand side) shows 54880.
-Manual that came with the tractor shows water pump assy. P/N 15321-7303-2.
-Picture for that assy. in that original manual is correct for the part I pulled off the tractor.

Ok good so far, right?

Second Manual (Illustrated parts list Kubota L245/L245DT printed Oct. 1981 FROM Kubota) shows two part numbers for the water pump based on a serial number split.
- From the drawing "(blank space) ~ 14147" uses assy. P/N 15321-7303-0.
- Picture for that part number shows the same type of part I pulled off the tractor. (I think the last number is revision level of the part and is important, but not to this problem)
- From the drawing "14148 ~ (blank space)" uses assy. P/N 15341-7303-0.
- Picture for that part number shows something completely different in shape for what I pulled off the tractor.

All the parts suppliers that I have talked to reference the S/N of the tractor to get me a price and availability for a water pump assy. which will be the right/wrong part by Kubota's own documentation.

Everyone assumes (me included) that the tilde used in the serial number differentation is to be read as " up to 14147" and "14148 and beyond" or some such. Everyone seems to translate to the "less than" and "greater than" symbols respectively.

Is that the way you see it?

Obviously, I have a tractor that was made with an older engine or been replaced or some technical writer was drunk that day or some such excuse. Ordering replacement parts should not be a brain teaser problem. :rolleyes:

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Were you able to see/find the same numbers (which I believe are the tractor's ser.#'s) on the engine and see if they are all the same? If different, try that # for engine identifcation as it will probably show your water pump configuration and would confirm your suspicion of a engine change..

All that I can think of right now. Good luck.

Ron

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Thanks Vic! Doesn't help, though. They do not explain what they mean by the use of the "~" sign although I believe it is used in the same way.

I am still confused by Kubota's own documentation contradicting itself but I am going to have to move ahead with my project. I am going to have to side with the manual provided with my tractor and get some parts ordered or I'll never get this thing running again. (I can be very good at procrastination when I want to be.)