Snowblowing and RPM's

Stewed

Equipment
Snowblower, bush hog
Jan 18, 2010
Muskegon, MI
I recently bought snowblower for my L3710 GST. Given that it is a GST the shifting between forward and reverse can be quite jerky when the RPM's are at the recommended speed (540).

I'd like to try using the foot pedal which would let me regulate the RPMs up when I am getting into the snow and down when I'm shifting forward / backward.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good practice with all of the changing from low RPM's to high RPM's?

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
In my case, I use 960 RPM lever and give a little throttle to turn the snow blower. It throws snow like demon, and easier on the engine...:D

But, when peoples or cars around me, I change it to 540 RPM lever and go easy and gentle~! :cool:

And I use lever control for minimum throttle to keep snow blower turning and foot control for extra power to throw snow further.

You have to play with it to find what your need.

Good luck.

Joe.

Stewed

Equipment
Snowblower, bush hog
Jan 18, 2010
Muskegon, MI
So you haven't heard if this practice is hard on the engine or not? It would be one more thing to regulate along with chute direction, implement height, speed, direction....

I can't wait to trade in for a HST 2660.

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I recently bought snowblower for my L3710 GST. Given that it is a GST the shifting between forward and reverse can be quite jerky when the RPM's are at the recommended speed (540).

I'd like to try using the foot pedal which would let me regulate the RPMs up when I am getting into the snow and down when I'm shifting forward / backward.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good practice with all of the changing from low RPM's to high RPM's?
That was what I did when I had Zetor 70 Hp tractor with 8' snow blower. Not only jerky moves but some times tire was digging into gravel road. 'cause of high speed of tire turning... So had to use foot pedal to control the engine speed myself and use speed control lever for around 1200 rpm that try to preventing snow blower clogging.

Good luck.

Joe.

89l2850

Equipment
1989 Kubota L-2850 DT
Jan 31, 2010
Branson MO
I hooked up our snowblower for the first time in 5 years (moved where snow didnt come as often!!) and I used 1000rpm setting on our L2850 and I used the hand throttle if I was backing into a snowpile or something but I dont think it is hard on the engine just uses more fuel to go up and down in rpms. You have to mess around with it and see which method you prefer...