Snow removal VIDEO!

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Hi guys,

Just thought I would share a video I shot last night. While it wasn't a big storm it was a heavy, wet 6" with sleet falling as I cleared the driveway. For a small tractor it does a great job and scrapes right down to pavement. Never a problem pushing huge piles and its great at getting into tight spaces.

Still loving this heated cab, it would have been miserable in the sleet last night without it.

http://youtu.be/1XriYBCY66E?list=UUbqPkeqZrlHPnxgejb-xMQg

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
These little guys sure can do the job. I agree that with rear blade and bucket, they are well equipped for this sort of thing. Curious as to whether yu have chains on?

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
No chains, just terf tires. My driveway has about a 30% grade and it has no trouble pushing up to about 6" UP the grade. I rarely ever push uphill since the left side drops off nicely and gravity works in my favor.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
No chains and a 30% slope? I find my estimating of slopes sometimes is exaggerated. Maybe you also? Anyhow, someday there will be an ice storm leaving a slick pavement, then snow on top. At that time you may even wish you had chains on all 4, but for now think about the rear chains. I caution using them on the front unless you have shorter (than usual) cross chains. Long cross chains there will cause the boots on the steering knuckles to get damaged. I speak from experience. Keep on with the fun.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hi tcrote, loved the video, was watching the technique for tips. I've got my rig set up the same way, all I need is some snow to practice! No heated cab though, but I did get a new down coat and a balaclava! :) Our forecast is for near 0 plus or minus this week. :(

My problem will be nothing is flat or level in tractor dimensions around here, so one corner or the other of bucket or blade will want to dig in, so we'll see. I can drag the blade forward to start with. Ground seems to be freezing up with about an inch of slush or former slush on top which might help.

Thanks for posting it!

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
We are supposed to get 4"-7" tomorrow night. High temp on Tuesday is -9 degrees and 20 mph winds. Sure wish I had a nice warm cab. I guess snow from the blower in the face can't be all bad. :eek:

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
No chains and a 30% slope?
Sorry, I ment 30 degrees not 30%. That`s a BIG difference! 30% grade and I'd need a winch like a snowcat!

I have not found the need for chains or straps yet. This is my second full winter with it and even on a glaze of ice it gets the job done. We have had that snow on ice situation a couple times last year. It will spin the tires here and there but that's where operator experience comes into play. I never drive the machine to the limits where chains are needed because I dont want to get in that type of situation to begin with. It will crawl up the hill with the bucket and blade off the ground just fine on ice so I just push downhill and ride up. I will say, if I had a 30% grade I would have chains for sure...or tank tracks ;)

Sheepfarmer: I did the snowmobile gear thing last year including the balacava! Actualy, during one below zero storm I busted out my heated full face helmet! Just having your face covered makes a huge comfort difference. My hands and feet get cold easily so even with the gear I was not a happy camper so the cab had to be made or bought and I wasn't about to spend another $4k on top of the machine. I'm sure you feel my pain on that one!

Once the ground freezes you will be fine with the backblade. The road I live on is dirt and I use it to clear the entry to the driveway with no issues. In fact the clip beginning at 2min:10sec on my video is on the dirt using the loader. Arms in the float position and the bucket with a slight tilt down. Pushes the snow and doesn't disturb the dirt.

08quadram: At least you have the blower, should get it done nice and fast. I'd love a blower but once again, I'm just too damn cheap:)

Last edited:

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
You could make better time if you would turn the blade around and drive forward. Also easier on the neck.

Bob

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
You could make better time if you would turn the blade around and drive forward. Also easier on the neck.

Bob
No, not really. You have to remember this is a much lighter tractor than your L series. In this case the snow was wet and heavy so driving in forward will try to spin/twist the tractor due to the blade angle. The only way to reduce this is to take partial passes = more passes needed = more time spent/wear on equipment. With it in reverse I make two passes to clear the 8' driveway and can use what becomes rear steering wheels to offest the push from the angled blade to keep the machine straight.

When the snow is lighter in late Jan - Feb I do flip the blade and go forward. But there is diminished return based on snow totals. I've learned when to go forward and when to reverse from experiance doing both.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi guys,

Just thought I would share a video I shot last night. While it wasn't a big storm it was a heavy, wet 6" with sleet falling as I cleared the driveway. For a small tractor it does a great job and scrapes right down to pavement. Never a problem pushing huge piles and its great at getting into tight spaces.

Still loving this heated cab, it would have been miserable in the sleet last night without it.

http://youtu.be/1XriYBCY66E?list=UUbqPkeqZrlHPnxgejb-xMQg
that really isnt fair to be in that NICE cab with heat and all that .......:D:D

nice work - now send some of that white stuff to ME !!!!:eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
"I did the snowmobile gear thing last year including the balacava! Actualy, during one below zero storm I busted out my heated full face helmet! Just having your face covered makes a huge comfort difference. My hands and feet get cold easily so even with the gear I was not a happy camper so the cab had to be made or bought and I wasn't about to spend another $4k on top of the machine. I'm sure you feel my pain on that one.]"

I do! Heated full face helmet? Is this a snowmobile thing? It has been around 0 all day, windy, and now snowing, giving lie to the "must warm up to snow" idea. That helmet sounds mighty good. Not plowing until absolutely necessary. Got 4 wd truck plugged in.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
"I did the snowmobile gear thing last year including the balacava! Actualy, during one below zero storm I busted out my heated full face helmet! Just having your face covered makes a huge comfort difference. My hands and feet get cold easily so even with the gear I was not a happy camper so the cab had to be made or bought and I wasn't about to spend another $4k on top of the machine. I'm sure you feel my pain on that one.]"

I do! Heated full face helmet? Is this a snowmobile thing? It has been around 0 all day, windy, and now snowing, giving lie to the "must warm up to snow" idea. That helmet sounds mighty good. Not plowing until absolutely necessary. Got 4 wd truck plugged in.
Yep, heated helmet comes from snowmobiling. They plug into the 12v outlet and have heated double pane visors to prevent ice and snow from building up. It worked very well!