Snatch Block Dealer?

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
What capacity do you need, how many thousand pounds?

I just ordered this block from Amazon.

Champion Power Equipment C18003 Winch Snatch Block

$10.15

Features
  • Recommended for 3,500 lb. to 8,000 lb. Champion winches
  • 12,000 lb. capacity
  • For use with 3/16 in. cable or synthetic rope
  • Steel construction

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can get them at my local farm store.
Do you have one of those close?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I am 90 miles round trip to a Tractor Supply, but Amazon and Ebay probably have a selection of snatch blocks that ship free to my door.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
My thought is, "Depends on your intended use."

I picked up from Harbor Freight with one of their 20% coupons a 4,000-lb non-swivel snatch block for something like $5.

The spindle or axle bolt is metric and thread-locked in case you want to get it apart to thread a wireline thimble and U-bolt clamps through to wrap around the sheave.

If you're doing serious work and / or have other limitations (legal implications of contracting or working for others that might be inclined to litigate), stay with the name brands like McKissick or perhaps Peerless.

The name brands sure aren't inexpensive, but they're built hell for stout and I've never had one fail. I'd be real skittish of some of the imports on the rack at Tractor Supply or Atwood's or Orschlien's.

All my McKissick swivel-hook blocks have a heavy wing-nut style release that allows the side plate to rotate 'open', making rigging up (and down) much simpler and faster.

Be cautious using a snatch block for if something fails or lets go, anyone in the line of fire can get terribly hurt so quickly you'll never know what happened.

Along those lines and if your block doesn't have a swivel hook take a light bind on the load and look closely how the block aligns with the load and if your loadlines are getting crossed or tangled before pulling a full strain.

Along those lines make sure the wireline you're using is of good quality and in good condition, tested if possible. Make certain your hook safety latches are present and functional. Know your load.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.