Smoothing Out Logging Ruts

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I'm no expert, but I hate to pay someone to something I can do myself, even if not as efficiently or as well. If it were my land, I would box blade right at the outer edge of the rut, as deep as my box would cut, 20-30 feet at a time. I'd use the loader to push that fresh dirt into the rut to fill it in as I go. Within a pass or two, it should be level enough to box the whole area as flat as you'd like. Might take a little longer than with a big dozer, but hey, you get to play on the tractor for several hours, win-win.
Again, I'm no expert,it's just what I would do.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
I'm no expert, but I hate to pay someone to something I can do myself, even if not as efficiently or as well. If it were my land, I would box blade right at the outer edge of the rut, as deep as my box would cut, 20-30 feet at a time. I'd use the loader to push that fresh dirt into the rut to fill it in as I go. Within a pass or two, it should be level enough to box the whole area as flat as you'd like. Might take a little longer than with a big dozer, but hey, you get to play on the tractor for several hours, win-win.
Again, I'm no expert,it's just what I would do.
Yea I feel the same way, I'd rather do it myself and the method you describe is basically where I started with my plan. The thing is I can't do that until the brush is gone, and it is too rough and thick in those areas for me to bush hog. Which brings the idea that I would have the guy I know bring in his skid steer that has a cutter that he said handles up to 8" trees, he was gonna clear off the brush and then I was going to tackle it from there. But then North Idaho Wolfman brought up a great point about that process leaving stobs that could potentially puncture my tires, which I've had happen before. So that brings me to the decision of whether to chance that or just bite the bullet and have it pushed off. And if I'm getting someone in to push it off anyway may as well get them to do the whole thing.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Have the guy with the skid steer cut the trees out. He'll also have a rake to put on the front to pile them up. Then have him use his bucket to dress up the ditches.

If it's not to your perfection when he's done, then use your box blade to "play" some.

MAD777

Nov 17, 2018
NH, USA
I'd rather do it myself... The thing is I can't do that until the brush is gone, and it is too rough and thick in those areas for me to bush hog.... that process leaving stobs that could potentially puncture my tires, which I've had happen before. So that brings me to the decision of whether to chance that or just bite the bullet and have it pushed off. And if I'm getting someone in to push it off anyway may as well get them to do the whole thing.
I'm looking at a very similar situation, where I would love to have some tractor fun, but will likely do a bad job and do some tractor damage. Plus, it would be all over in no time with a professional.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The thing is I can't do that until the brush is gone, and it is too rough and thick in those areas for me to bush hog.
I was going by what the picture showed, which can be misleading. I was thinking brush as in something you could drop the bucket on the ground to flatten as you go, and the box would churn it and it's roots up. I've done this with brush 5-6 feet tall, but it was small bushes, blackberry stickers, etc. If your brush is too thick to run over it then that won't work. I couldn't tell by the pic how thick it was. My second choice would be to rent a skid steer. Around here you can pick one up on Friday and return Monday morning for a one day rental. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My box BB1560 scraper has a front- and rear-facing scraper blade on it. Why not just use the rear blade wile driving in reverse to "bull doze" those ridge piles into the ruts first, then scrape in forward once the area is evened out a bit? I use my scraper backing up like a dozer to flatten center ridges on driveways before box-scraping it all level in forward gear.

Neil

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I look at it like I have told others about buying a smaller vs a larger tractor, a small one will do basically the same things a larger one will, it just takes longer on a small one. Several others look at it the same way on here. U already have the tractor and if u enjoy playing on it as much as I do on mine, get to doing it yourself. Just be careful. Save some bucks or not but I’d bet u can get it done to your liking as well as anyone u would hire to do it for u could. Cut any of the thorny trees with a saw and move em to ur burn pile. Easier with a grapple but I have done that with a chain b4 I got mine. Be safe and have fun using that tractor for what u bought it for

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
sometimes it's not worth tearing up your tractor to prove your the man.....................
if it's a job you think is to big for your equipment, hire it done.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I agree, sometimes ya just gota suck it up and let someone else with the right stuff do the job,,,

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Thanks again for everyone's input. I've pretty much decided on getting a small dozer in to handle the job. I love working on my tractor, and understand that in general a small tractor does the work of a larger one just slower, but I believe that has limitations and I feel the job that needs to be done would be pushing it (no pun intended) with the 2501.