Smoke on start

Jaybird

Equipment
M5400. 6' finish mower, 5' bush hog, 2 bottom plow, 6' rear blade, boom pole.
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky
Have a M5400 in great shape with 720 hours on it. Never a problem anywhere. It has never smoked at all anytime. I recently changed the oil and filter and ever since it blows out a small amount of smoke upon startup. The smoke actually blows out the bottom of the upright exhaust. Thought I possibly overfilled it but it has been just below the top mark on the dipstick since the change.
Should I be concerned at all?

Thanks to all, you have taught me a lot reading this forum.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What color is the smoke?

Is anything different? Brand of oil, weight of oil, different fuel source?

What kind of shape is the air filter in?

Jaybird

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky
What color is the smoke?

Is anything different? Brand of oil, weight of oil, different fuel source?

What kind of shape is the air filter in?
Smoke is whitish. Not sure if brand or weight of oil is different as previous owner passed away. I put Valvoline 10 W 40 in it. Same goes for fuel, not sure what he used. I put a new Kubota air filter in it when I changed the oil. Also when I did the old oil was black as coal.
Think i should try another type of oil?
Sure appreciate your help.

Jay

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Smoke is whitish. Not sure if brand or weight of oil is different as previous owner passed away. I put Valvoline 10 W 40 in it. Jay
Is Valvoline 10 W 40 rated for a diesel engine? Have you checked for presence of water in fuel?

Jaybird

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky
Is Valvoline 10 W 40 rated for a diesel engine? Have you checked for presence of water in fuel?
Was unaware oil needed to be rated for a diesel. When I asked the dealer what oil I should use he said just any major brand. Wouldn't it run rough if it had water in the fuel? It hasn't at all.
Without opening a can of worms, oil recommendations? If it needs to be diesel rated I will change it immediately.
Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Yes, it has to be diesel rated oil. In most cases you can use diesel oil in gas engines but gas oil can't be used in diesel engines. The additive packages are not compatible.

Lots of quality diesel oil on the market. Mobil Delvac 1 is a good choice, Rotella is another. Personally I use Amsoil synthetic lubricants. Everyone has their own brand they believe in and we all think we're correct when we say our's is the best.

Just make sure you use a quality brand that has the correct rating for the job. The same applies to the hydraulics. Don't just pour anything in there, it requires specific type fluid such as Kubota SUDT2. Hope this helps.

Jaybird

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky
Bulldog &TxJim, thanks to you both. I've already drained the oil and removed the filter and will replace with Amsol or Rotella.
Think running her 5-6 hours on gas engine oil did any damage?
Also my owners manual says to use API classification CC or CD oil. I've not found that class on any oil.

Thanks guys, you probably saved me a lot.:)

Jay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You probably didn't do any damage it just might take a while for the motor to get hot enough for the rings to seal good again.

Oh and NO don't use diesel rate oil in a gas motor either, it will just burn right threw it, because it does the same thing, coats the rings and walls and won't seal the rings.
Did it to two motors at the same time without even knowing it, stupid and expensive mistake!:eek:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

Jaybird

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky